[comp.dsp] A-law and u-law companding

summer@brahma.trl.oz.au (Mark Summerfield - Switching) (03/08/91)

I am currently investigating implementation of A-law and u-law (that's
mu-law :-) companding techniques. I am aware of the formulae which are
used to generate these, however I am more interested in practical fast
software and digital hardware implementations, in which the calculation
of logarithms is impractical. In addition to my own literature search
on the subject, I was wondering if anyone out there can point me in the
direction of any examples of previous work in this area. I would be
particularly interested in any examples of custom (VLSI) implementations.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mark.
------------------------------------------------+-----------------------------+
Mark Summerfield, Telecom Research Laboratories | "A witty saying proves      |
ACSnet[AARN/Internet]: m.summerfield@trl.oz[.au]|       nothing." -- Voltaire |
Snail: PO Box 249, Clayton, Vic., 3168          +-----------------------------+

jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar8.052136.11121@trl.oz.au> m.summerfield@trl.oz.au writes:
>I am currently investigating implementation of A-law and u-law (that's
>mu-law :-) companding techniques. I am aware of the formulae which are
>used to generate these, however I am more interested in practical fast
>software and digital hardware implementations, in which the calculation
>of logarithms is impractical.

No one computes logarithms to do u-law or a-law companding.  Decompression
is easy to accomplish with a lookup table: only 256 entries are required.
You can go the other way in only a small number of instructions; I suggest
checking out the handbook for any DSP chip; all that I've seen include
fast algorithms for u-law and a-law compresion and expansion.

>on the subject, I was wondering if anyone out there can point me in the
>direction of any examples of previous work in this area. I would be
>particularly interested in any examples of custom (VLSI) implementations.

There's really a very small amount of computation required; it would be
easy to do in hardware.

Joe Buck
jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu	 {uunet,ucbvax}!galileo.berkeley.edu!jbuck

eric@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Eric Cheval) (04/03/91)

In article <11858@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>In article <1991Mar8.052136.11121@trl.oz.au> m.summerfield@trl.oz.au writes:
>>I am currently investigating implementation of A-law and u-law (that's
>>mu-law :-) companding techniques. I am aware of the formulae which are
>>used to generate these, however I am more interested in practical fast
>>software and digital hardware implementations, in which the calculation
>>of logarithms is impractical.
>>on the subject, I was wondering if anyone out there can point me in the
>>direction of any examples of previous work in this area. I would be
>>particularly interested in any examples of custom (VLSI) implementations.

The Motorola 56116/56156 SSIs implement the A/MU law compression
/decompression as an option. The necessary logic was designed in
and it is transparent to the user; all you need to do is to
select a mode bit. the implementation is proprietary.

The laws, A/Mu, are linear by segment, and by studying
the CCITT specification (Rec G711; Fascicle III.3 pp 68-71)
you can figure out the necessary logic.

You can also get the Motorola app. note on the 56000/1
compression/expension; the CCITT tables are reproduced.

Eric Cheval
Motorola DSP Group
Austin TX.

onaka@hubble.ifa.hawaii.edu (Peter Onaka) (04/27/91)

I signed my rights away for a design that I did for the telcom company
I used to work for that did u-law/a-law companding (and addition for
conferencing) in a TDM nonblocking switch for military and air traffic
applications.  It was done in pure synchronous hardware and they have
a patent application in for the whole system.  They are implementing
it in an ASIC right now.  I have to look at the legal agreement that
I signed, but I'd be willing to discuss general ideas if the original
poster has a noncommercial application in mind (I don't have the
original post).