[comp.dsp] C compiler for DSP56K ?

venemans@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Venemans P.H.A.) (04/22/91)

Sorry if this is a FAQ: I'm rather new in this area.

What C compilers are available for the Motorola DSP56000 chip? I have
heard of the Motorola compiler, but some people told me it is a rather
buggy one.  Is that true, and -if so- are there any alternatives? (Did
someone already adapt gcc?).

Thanks!
---
Pieter H.A. Venemans    PTT Research   Leidschendam    the Netherlands
Email: PH_Venemans@pttrnl.nl                     Voice: +31 70 3325556

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (04/24/91)

In article <8930@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> venemans@dnlunx.UUCP (Venemans P.H.A.) writes:
>What C compilers are available for the Motorola DSP56000 chip? I have
>heard of the Motorola compiler, but some people told me it is a rather
>buggy one.  Is that true, and -if so- are there any alternatives? (Did
>someone already adapt gcc?).

	The local Moto guy told me not to buy the 56K C compiler - that I
should use assembler instead.

	I have some literature from a third party vendor that suggests that
this compiler puts most of its data in Y memory. This could adversely affect
efficiency of your code on some applications.

	A C compiler for this chip would present some interesting challenges.

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

"Do you think I care? ... I have an infinite amount of money."	-Bill Gates

scholten@esseye.UUCP (David Scholten) (04/25/91)

From article <3903@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>, by carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll):
> In article <8930@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> venemans@dnlunx.UUCP (Venemans P.H.A.) writes:
>>What C compilers are available for the Motorola DSP56000 chip? I have
>>heard of the Motorola compiler, but some people told me it is a rather
>>buggy one.  Is that true, and -if so- are there any alternatives? (Did
>>someone already adapt gcc?).
>
> 	The local Moto guy told me not to buy the 56K C compiler - that I
> should use assembler instead.
>
> 	I have some literature from a third party vendor that suggests that
> this compiler puts most of its data in Y memory. This could adversely affect
> efficiency of your code on some applications.
>
> 	A C compiler for this chip would present some interesting challenges.
>

> --
> Jeff Carroll
> carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com
>
> "Do you think I care? ... I have an infinite amount of money."	-Bill Gates

I have worked with the 56000, TI320x0, and AD2100 series of DSP chips.  I
haven't had the chance to play with the C compiler for the AD2100 yet.
However, the C-compiler for the 56000 was terrible.  I was quite impressed
with the one for TI's chips.  The C-compiler for the Moto part could use
some optimization techniques built in.  And yes, the biggest complaint I had
was that I couldn't force variables into both X/Y data spaces.  I did end up
writing most of my stuff in assembly (which I liked better than TI's).
What's interesting is the AD2100 chip.  The bus structure is almost identical
to the 56000.  The sales rep I talked to claimed that their C-compiler would
allow me to declare variables into either data space.  (I have my doubts
about this one, but I'll wait and see.)

Dave Scholten

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (04/26/91)

In article <3903@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>, carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) writes:
> In article <8930@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> venemans@dnlunx.UUCP (Venemans P.H.A.) writes:
> >What C compilers are available for the Motorola DSP56000 chip? I have
> >heard of the Motorola compiler, but some people told me it is a rather
> >buggy one.  Is that true, and -if so- are there any alternatives? (Did
> >someone already adapt gcc?).
>
> 	The local Moto guy told me not to buy the 56K C compiler - that I
> should use assembler instead.
>
> 	I have some literature from a third party vendor that suggests that
> this compiler puts most of its data in Y memory. This could adversely affect
> efficiency of your code on some applications.
>
> 	A C compiler for this chip would present some interesting challenges.
DSP architecture in general is ( memory split ) is ideal for FORTH.

mhorne@jomega.rain.com (Michael T. Horne) (04/27/91)

In a recent article by scholten@esseye.UUCP (David Scholten):

> > 	The local Moto guy told me not to buy the 56K C compiler - that I
> > should use assembler instead.
>
> ...However, the C-compiler for the 56000 was terrible...

A helpful tactic when dealing with sloppy C compilers is to use C to build a
program's main structure, and code all time/coding critical sections in
assembly.  I've used this method on several previous projects, and it greatly
simplifies DSP program maintenance.

Mike

Michael T. Horne                  DSP Hardware and Software Consulting Services
Horne System Solutions                           E-mail: mhorne@jomega.rain.com
Beaverton, OR                                             Phone: (503) 649-8957

chrism@col.hp.com (Chris Magnuson) (05/15/91)

OK, now we've established that the Moto compiler is no good.  What about
a public domain version of the assembler?

chrism@col.hp.com