[comp.dsp] Reed-Solomon Code

samsung@jvnc.net (samsung@tigger.jvnc.net -- Advanced Media Laboratory of Samsung Electronics 1009 Lenox Dr. Lawrenceville) (05/21/91)

Folks,

Does anyone have any publuc domain code to do Reed-Solomon coding of
data?

Thanks,

Steve Jaffe

(reply to above address or post)

gd@erg.sri.com (Greg DesBrisay) (06/11/91)

1) Several weeks ago Steve Jaffe posted a note asking for information
on any public domain code to Reed-Solomon decoding of data.  Were
there any responses to Steve's inquiry?  Are there any public domain
codes available?  The Motorola BBS has some code that *en*codes data
for the Reed-Solomon code used on CDs (that's the easy part), but I
havn't been able to find any code for *de*coding the data.

2) Does anybody know of commercially available Reed-Solomon encoding
and decoding software that can be purchased?

Thanks in advance!

Greg DesBrisay
gd@sri.com

shimizu@unix.SRI.COM (Dan Shimizu) (06/13/91)

	I've talked to Greg (the orginal poster) and sent him some simple
turbo-C code that I wrote for a 3-bit symbol R-S code.  The code was my
first attempt at R-S encoding/decoding, so it's not much to look at, but
it appears to work ok.  The turbo-C code encodes a random stream of data,
corrupts some bits and attempts to decode.  Lastly, it reports stats on
the BER.  Greg said some others might want to to take a look at it, if
you want a copy of the code, send me mail and I'll pass it on.

DAN
shimizu@unix.sri.com

p.s. does anyone have any good references on dsp implemented PLL's?

robert@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Robert Morelos-Zaragoza) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun10.233043.19875@erg.sri.com> gd@erg.sri.com (Greg DesBrisay) writes:

>1) Several weeks ago Steve Jaffe posted a note asking for information
>on any public domain code to Reed-Solomon decoding of data.  Were
>there any responses to Steve's inquiry?  Are there any public domain
>codes available?  The Motorola BBS has some code that *en*codes data
>for the Reed-Solomon code used on CDs (that's the easy part), but I
>havn't been able to find any code for *de*coding the data.
>
>2) Does anybody know of commercially available Reed-Solomon encoding
>and decoding software that can be purchased?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Greg DesBrisay
>gd@sri.com

You are in luck my friend :-)

I do have a program that will encode/decode information using a
Reed-Solomon Code over a Galois Field GF(2^m), for m <=8.
I did it long time ago for my bachelor's thesis, back in the
National University of Mexico. It is written in FORTRAN. It uses
the conventional Berlekamp-Massey algorithm in decoding.

If anyone out there is interested, I will be happy to send the
source code.

Greetings and Aloha !!!

Robert Morelos-Zaragoza			|
University of Hawaii at Manoa		|
robert@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu            |
(808) 956-6250				| "Por mi raza hablara el espiritu"

simon@augean.ua.OZ.AU (Simon Rockliff) (06/21/91)

In article <13559@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> robert@wiliki.UUCP (Robert Morelos-Zaragoza) writes:
>In article <1991Jun10.233043.19875@erg.sri.com> gd@erg.sri.com (Greg DesBrisay) writes:
>>
>>1) Several weeks ago Steve Jaffe posted a note asking for information
>>on any public domain code to Reed-Solomon decoding of data.  Were
>>there any responses to Steve's inquiry?  Are there any public domain
>>codes available?  The Motorola BBS has some code that *en*codes data
>>for the Reed-Solomon code used on CDs (that's the easy part), but I
>>havn't been able to find any code for *de*coding the data.
>>
>>Greg DesBrisay
>>gd@sri.com
>

>I do have a program that will encode/decode information using a
>Reed-Solomon Code over a Galois Field GF(2^m), for m <=8.
>I did it long time ago for my bachelor's thesis, back in the
>National University of Mexico. It is written in FORTRAN. It uses
>the conventional Berlekamp-Massey algorithm in decoding.
>
>If anyone out there is interested, I will be happy to send the
>source code.
>
>Robert Morelos-Zaragoza			|
>University of Hawaii at Manoa		|
>robert@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu            |
>(808) 956-6250				| "Por mi raza hablara el espiritu"

I too can contribute a version of a Reed-Solomon encoder and decoder over
GF{2^m}, using Berlekamp-Massey decoding. It handles errors and should be
able to be adapted to handle erasures quite easily. It is written in C
(no guarantees on elegance though!) and has comments which are designed to
tie the code into the treatment given in Lin and Costello's coding book.
Mind you, some knowledge of the algorithm is necessary to understand the
software, so I would think most people would need to consult a reference
to figure out precisely what the  program is doing.
So if any one has a particular preference for a C version over Robert's
Fortran version, mail me and I'll send the source to you.

Simon Rockliff
simon@augean.ua.oz.au