smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (07/20/90)

In article <1290@idunno.Princeton.EDU> eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot
Handelman) writes:

>Check out these radical dudes:
>
>-- LASKE, OTTO
>-- BERNARD, BEL
>-- MARSDEN, ALAN
>-- LAUZANNA, RAY

Trying to draw me out on this one, are you, Eliot?  Right now all I want to
know is who IS Ray Lauzanna, and why is he saying all these nasty things to
me?  By his own admission, he seems to lack all qualifications to argue about
any form of music theory.  Does he represent some new form of post-modern music
theory which has escaped both me and the bulletin board system;  or is he just
some new form of performance art?  (Come to think of it, are Eliot Handelman
and Steve Smoliar nothing more than performance artists?)

USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way  Suite 1001
	Marina del Rey, California  90292-6695

Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu

"It's only words . . . unless they're true."--David Mamet

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (07/20/90)

In article <14367@venera.isi.edu> smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
;In article <1290@idunno.Princeton.EDU> eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot
;Handelman) writes:
;>
;>Check out these radical dudes:
;>
;>-- LASKE, OTTO
;>-- BERNARD, BEL
;>-- MARSDEN, ALAN
;>-- LAUZANNA, RAY
;
;
;Trying to draw me out on this one, are you, Eliot?  Right now all I want to
;know is who IS Ray Lauzanna, and why is he saying all these nasty things to
;me?  By his own admission, he seems to lack all qualifications to argue about
;any form of music theory.  Does he represent some new form of post-modern music
;theory which has escaped both me and the bulletin board system;  or is he just
;some new form of performance art?  (Come to think of it, are Eliot Handelman
;and Steve Smoliar nothing more than performance artists?)
;

At this point in my career, I'm inclined to just say yes to everything (though
I do continue to just say no to conferences). Ray Lauzanna, contrary to his
own admissions, is actually a genius of knowledge-based musical engineering,
so I've heard (Ray can correct me if I'm wrong) -- I have it from the
grapevine that he is Laske's right hand man, responsible for having implemented
some of Laske's most advanced ideas, knowledge engineering in reverse and
blackboard architectures for composition. The first person to use it was
Alan Marsden, who immediately taught it to compose dominant sevenths; Bel,
so I've heard, is now acting as his agent and they're getting fat off the
royalties.