[alt.conspiracy] Spy numbers transmissions

anarch@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (The Anarch) (11/11/89)

In article <28978@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> pierce@lanai.UUCP (Brad Pierce) writes:
>In article <23733@cup.portal.com> Havana_-_Moon@cup.portal.com writes:
>
>>                            ** WHO IS HAVANA MOON? **
>>
>>      Havana Moon is the pseudonym of a very well known figure in
>>      Shortwave Radio, on both the hobby and the professional levels.
>>      He is a former Intelligence Officer who is acknowledged to be
>>      one of the leading experts in the curious shortwave phenomenon
>>      known as "Spy Numbers Transmissions."
>
>What is Spy Numbers Transmissions?
>
>-- Brad

     I am far from an expert on this, so anyone, feel free to correct me, but I
believe that 'spy numbers transmissions' refers to the seemingly random and
meaningless strings of numbers that can occasionally be heard on shortwave
radio.  They are believed to be coded intelligence reports of spies in foreign
countries, sending their info back home over the airwaves.

--
There is no governor anywhere;|Thy hand, great Anarch! lets the curtain fall,