[fa.info-vax] VMS screen manager

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (01/24/85)

From: engvax!KVC@cit-vax

One of the things that people have complained about with the new
VMS screen manager is that it is not supported by many VMS utilities
yet.  In an effort to bring SMG style foreign terminal support
to the old VMS utilities, we are creating a replacement for the
SCRSHR.EXE shareable image that uses SMG routines.

If this works, then all of the SCR$ entry points will be transparently
handled by the new screen manager.  Hopefully this will allow foreign
terminal support through the TERMTABLE mechanism to work with things
like MONITOR and PHONE and others.

We should have something done and working in the next few days.
If it works out, I will send another message indicating success
and detailing how well the thing works.

The authors would like to make this accessible to anyone on INFO-VAX,
but if the response it going to be overwhelming I want to avoid
having to mail individual copies to everyone and his grandmother.
Would someone be willing to serve as an ARPAnet repository for
this piece of code and allow others to FTP their own copies?  We
did this once before for an article we wrote on using the DEUNA.

At that time, Bill Westfield of SRI-KL and Richard Garland of
Columbia-20 made the article accessible via anonymous FTP.  If
either of you are out there, would you consider making this
available the same way?

In any case, I will follow up shortly with information on whether
this thing works well enough for distribution.

	/Kevin Carosso          engvax!kvc @ CIT-VAX.ARPA
	 Hughes Aircraft Co.

ps.  The code is being done by Dan Newman and Ned Freed at
     Harvey Mudd College (credit where credit is due...).

rcb@rti-sel.UUCP (Random) (02/04/85)

> The authors would like to make this accessible to anyone on INFO-VAX,
> but if the response it going to be overwhelming I want to avoid
> having to mail individual copies to everyone and his grandmother.
> Would someone be willing to serve as an ARPAnet repository for
> this piece of code and allow others to FTP their own copies?  We
> did this once before for an article we wrote on using the DEUNA.

If you get it to work (hope, hope), Could you also post it to
net.sources or something? We can't do an FTP here.

					Random
					Research Triangle Institute
					...!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (02/12/85)

From: waltz!lindahl@rice.ARPA (Charlie Lindahl)

Please post something to this bboard if you find an ARPA repository. This
would be VERY interesting to us; also, we would like to test under
VMS 4.1 (we're installing that tonite).

Charlie Lindahl

UUCP: {smu,ut-sally}!waltz!lindahl
CSNET: lindahl@ti-csl