[alt.conspiracy] The Nuclear Option

gcf@panix.uucp (Gordon Fitch) (02/07/91)

Note that in recent days the Butch, Danforth, and more than one
of America's hochkommandatura have quite openly mused on the
thought of using nuclear weapons -- especially if things go badly.
And so far, they have not gone very well, outside of the media.

This is called a "trial baloon."
--
* Gordon Fitch | gcf@panix | uunet!cmcl2.nyu.edu!panix!mydog!gcf *

jonesra@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (rex jones) (02/08/91)

gcf@panix.uucp (Gordon Fitch) writes:

>Note that in recent days the Butch, Danforth, and more than one
>of America's hochkommandatura have quite openly mused on the
>thought of using nuclear weapons -- especially if things go badly.
>And so far, they have not gone very well, outside of the media.

>This is called a "trial baloon."

In today's Indianapolis Star, Dan Burton (congressman from northern
Indy/Carmel) wrote a 1/4 page article expounding on why tactical
'battlefield' nukes should be used. His main argument seemed to be that
the nukes that have been used killed only 160,000, while the Dresden
firebombings killed 200,000, so the military probably would kill fewer
with the nukes.

>--
>* Gordon Fitch | gcf@panix | uunet!cmcl2.nyu.edu!panix!mydog!gcf *
--
Alt.desert-storm...the beginning of George Bush's 1992 re-election campaign
---- "Study war no more"--Jesse Jackson (1-14-91, from his MIT talk) ----

golchowy@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Gerald Olchowy) (02/08/91)

In article <jonesra.665970151@copper> jonesra@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (rex jones) writes:
>gcf@panix.uucp (Gordon Fitch) writes:
>
>>Note that in recent days the Butch, Danforth, and more than one
>>of America's hochkommandatura have quite openly mused on the
>>thought of using nuclear weapons -- especially if things go badly.
>>And so far, they have not gone very well, outside of the media.
>
>In today's Indianapolis Star, Dan Burton (congressman from northern
>Indy/Carmel) wrote a 1/4 page article expounding on why tactical
>'battlefield' nukes should be used. His main argument seemed to be that
>the nukes that have been used killed only 160,000, while the Dresden
>firebombings killed 200,000, so the military probably would kill fewer
>with the nukes.

If nuclear weapons are used by the coalition against a non-nuclear
Third World country, you might as well kiss nuclear non-proliferation
good-bye, and jack up the SDI budget.

Gerald

prater@oktext.sbc.com (Caryn S. Prater) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.025838.13793@panix.uucp> gcf@panix.uucp (Gordon Fitch) writes:

>Note that in recent days the Butch, Danforth, and more than one
>of America's hochkommandatura have quite openly mused on the
>thought of using nuclear weapons -- especially if things go badly.
>And so far, they have not gone very well, outside of the media.
>
>This is called a "trial baloon."
>--
>* Gordon Fitch | gcf@panix | uunet!cmcl2.nyu.edu!panix!mydog!gcf *

If he does use the bomb, we won't have to worry about him again in
'92.

Caryn
--
Nolite te bastardes carborunodorum
       Author unknown :-)

rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb8.014431.19954@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> golchowy@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Gerald Olchowy) writes:
>If nuclear weapons are used by the coalition against a non-nuclear
>Third World country, you might as well kiss nuclear non-proliferation
>good-bye, and jack up the SDI budget.
>
>Gerald

SDI would be useless against a third world country with nuclear weapons.
They would be much more likely to do damage if they walked in with the
bomb than if they tried to lob it at us from the other side of the world.

--
Rodney

v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb8.032851.9642@swbatl.sbc.com>, prater@oktext.sbc.com (Caryn S. Prater) writes...

[stuff deleted because of its acenine, bitchy, and "on the rag" type remarks]

>Caryn
>--
>Nolite te bastardes carborunodorum
>       Author unknown :-)

	Caryn...SHUT UP!  I don't know about the others on this newsgroup, but
I for one have had it with your acenine, bitchy, "on the rag" type remarks
constantly!
	If you still wish to continue posting in this manner, please add the
suffix "- Caryn" to your subject so that other people who share my position can
avoid having to put up with you any more.  Thankyou, and hopefully good ridance!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Zerxes Bhagalia v064lnev (INTERNET: @UBVMS.cc.buffalo.edu / BIT: @UBVMS.bitnet)
(      -==-	 Bhagalia (INTERNET: @SYBIL.cc.buffalo.edu / BIT: NA           )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

himacdon@maytag.uwaterloo.ca (Hamish Macdonald) (02/08/91)

[stuff deleted because Zerxes can't spell]

	Zerxes...SHUT UP!  I don't know about the others on this
newsgroup, but I for one have had it with your misspelling of words
such as "asinine" and "riddance" constantly!
	If you still wish to continue posting in this manner, please
add the suffix "- I can't spell" to your subject so that other people
who share my position can avoid having to put up with you any more.
Thank you, and hopefully good riddance!

himacdon@maytag.uwaterloo.ca                 watmath!maytag!himacdon

prater@oktext.sbc.com (Caryn S. Prater) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.154447.10886@maytag.waterloo.edu> himacdon@maytag.uwaterloo.ca (Hamish Macdonald) writes:

>[stuff deleted because Zerxes can't spell]
>
>	Zerxes...SHUT UP!  I don't know about the others on this
>newsgroup, but I for one have had it with your misspelling of words
>such as "asinine" and "riddance" constantly!
>	If you still wish to continue posting in this manner, please
>add the suffix "- I can't spell" to your subject so that other people
>who share my position can avoid having to put up with you any more.
>Thank you, and hopefully good riddance!
>
>--
>himacdon@maytag.uwaterloo.ca                 watmath!maytag!himacdon

Thank You.

Caryn
--

csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb7.025838.13793@panix.uucp> gcf@panix.uucp (Gordon Fitch) writes:

>Note that in recent days the Butch, Danforth, and more than one
>of America's hochkommandatura have quite openly mused on the
>thought of using nuclear weapons -- especially if things go badly.
>And so far, they have not gone very well, outside of the media.
>
>This is called a "trial baloon."

No, it is called a "veiled warning". Or maybe a "bluff".

Saddam watches CNN too. If he gets the idea that maybe, just maybe,
the US would start lobbing tacnukes in the event of a chemical or
biological attack, he may be slightly more hesitant about using those
weapons.

--
Dave Mack

jonesra@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (rex jones) (02/10/91)

prater@oktext.sbc.com (Caryn S. Prater) writes:

>In article <1991Feb7.025838.13793@panix.uucp> gcf@panix.uucp (Gordon Fitch) writes:
>>
>>Note that in recent days the Butch, Danforth, and more than one
>>of America's hochkommandatura have quite openly mused on the
>>thought of using nuclear weapons -- especially if things go badly.
>>And so far, they have not gone very well, outside of the media.
>>
>>This is called a "trial baloon."
>>--
>>* Gordon Fitch | gcf@panix | uunet!cmcl2.nyu.edu!panix!mydog!gcf *

>If he does use the bomb, we won't have to worry about him again in
>'92.

The problem with this is that there are enough yahoos in the country who
think that anything is permissable in war, and would probably vote for
Bush for having the insanity to even consider using the bomb. I think if
Bush used nukes and it didn't escalate into a holocaust, he'd be elected
with 65-75% of the vote.

Remember, this is the country that elected RR. Many said that such an
action would eventually lead to war. We're at war now.

--
Alt.desert-storm...the beginning of George Bush's 1992 re-election campaign
---- "Study war no more"--Jesse Jackson (1-14-91, from his MIT talk) ----
---- "No more war, war ever again"--Pope Paul VI ----
---- jonesra@copper.ucs.indiana.edu -- Standard disclaimers apply ----

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (02/10/91)

Bad spelling is a minor sin.

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (02/11/91)

From: jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy)
>Bad spelling is a minor sin.

You must have missed the original note, it was an offensive
locker-room scrawl of sexist obscenities (not being hyperbolic here),
let's see...

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs

bhv@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Bronis Vidugiris) (02/11/91)

)
)Saddam watches CNN too. If he gets the idea that maybe, just maybe,
)the US would start lobbing tacnukes in the event of a chemical or
)biological attack, he may be slightly more hesitant about using those
)weapons.

I think that in the event of chemical warfare attacks, the US might
very well drop a tactical nuke on one of the Republican Guard units.
I'm pretty sure the U.S. population would support such a move - I'm
not so sure of world opinion, but I suspect the reaction would be
negative, but not overwhelmingly so.

lhb6v@faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (Laura Hayes Burchard) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb11.050408.10399@ccu.umanitoba.ca> thorntn@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Duncan Peter G. Thornton) writes:
>In <1991Feb11.023449.17583@ddsw1.MCS.COM> bhv@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Bronis Vidugiris) writes:
>>very well drop a tactical nuke on one of the Republican Guard units.
>>I'm pretty sure the U.S. population would support such a move - I'm
>>not so sure of world opinion, but I suspect the reaction would be
>>negative, but not overwhelmingly so.

>I suspect that outside of Britain, and maybe France, the reaction
>would be almost uniformly very strongly negative.  That goes for
>Canada, one of the coalition partners.

Oooh, I think it would be negative amongst a lot of us Americans, too.  I
suspect that even a lot of those who answered yes to the poll would think
again when they saw the result.  Not incidentally, it would be a violation
of treaties which we have signed to use nuclear weapons against a
non-nuclear power.

All bets are off, though, if Saddam somehow has managed to put together
a bomb, and nukes Tel Aviv.

>Whether it is logical or not, using (tactical) nuclear weapons
>would seem to be a response very much of a different order.  But
>I think the reaction would be the same if the U.S. were to use
>chemical weapons as well.  The U.S. is only barely holding on
>to support in a lot of the world, and giving up the position of
>moral superiority they can claim by not (since 1945) having used
>nuclear or chemical weapons would cost the U.S. very badly.
>I think there is some value to having the nuclear threshold as
>one which it would cause world-wide horror to cross.  What
>_clear line_ would there be after tactical nukes?

Yes, it would be nasty.  Note, for example, what happened after the world
more or less winked at Saddam's use of chems against the Iranians; it
became integrated into his battle tactics, and now those that stood by
now will face chemwar themselves.  There's a certain dark justice to
it...

--
Laura Burchard  lhb6v@virginia.edu  lhb6v@virginia.bitnet  #inc <std.disclaimer>
The fact is that one side thinks that the profits to be won outweigh the risks

bombach@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Matthew Bombach) (02/12/91)

>I think that in the event of chemical warfare attacks, the US might
>very well drop a tactical nuke on one of the Republican Guard units.
>I'm pretty sure the U.S. population would support such a move - I'm
>not so sure of world opinion, but I suspect the reaction would be
>negative, but not overwhelmingly so.

As my mother used to say "Two wrongs don't make a right."

If the U.S. dropped a tactical nuke, I thinked G.Bush should be tried as a
war criminal.

Paul Bombach

foley@phoebus.meteor.wisc.edu (Jonathan Foley) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.172446.7039@engin.umich.edu>, bombach@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Matthew Bombach) writes:

|> >I think that in the event of chemical warfare attacks, the US might
|> >very well drop a tactical nuke on one of the Republican Guard units.
|> >I'm pretty sure the U.S. population would support such a move - I'm
|> >not so sure of world opinion, but I suspect the reaction would be
|> >negative, but not overwhelmingly so.
|>
|> As my mother used to say "Two wrongs don't make a right."
|>
|> If the U.S. dropped a tactical nuke, I thinked G.Bush should be tried as a
|> war criminal.
|>
|> Paul Bombach

Just a thought...with the typical Washington 'doublespeak' going on,
I was wondering what George and his friends would call a nuclear
bomb used on Iraqi troops?

I think I know - a 'tactical fission liberation device'.

This goes very well with his 'revenue enhancement' instead of 'new
taxes' crap.

Jonathan Foley                       foley@meteor.wisc.edu
Center for Climatic Research         uunet!meteor.wisc.edu!foley@uunet.uu.net
and Department of Meteorology        foley@wiscmacc.bitnet
University of Wisconsin
1225 West Dayton Street              (608) 262-0794
Madison, WI  53706 - United States   (608) 262-2839

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (02/12/91)

I think George Bush will correctly decide that avoiding the use of
tactical nuclear weapons is worth letting a rather large number of
American soldiers die.  His project of freeing Kuwait, preventing Iraq
from being able to do it again, and making sure than conquest is
unfashionable faces enough political difficulties as is.

Truman was in a quite different political position.  If he had
let American soldiers die because of failure to use the bomb,
his political chances would have been nil.

thorntn@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Duncan Peter G. Thornton) (02/13/91)

In <JMC.91Feb11182258@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU> jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) writes:

>I think George Bush will correctly decide that avoiding the use of
>tactical nuclear weapons is worth letting a rather large number of
>American soldiers die.  His project of freeing Kuwait, preventing Iraq
>from being able to do it again, and making sure than conquest is
>unfashionable faces enough political difficulties as is.

>Truman was in a quite different political position.  If he had
>let American soldiers die because of failure to use the bomb,
>his political chances would have been nil.

I would like to give Truman the benefit of the doubt here,
and assume that he did not drop both bombs because he was
worried about re-election, but because he sincerely believed
it would save lives (and not just American soldiers' lives).

I could be wrong, but I'd like to give him the benefit of
the doubt.  In any case, as the existence of the bomb was
a secret, who among the electorate would have blamed him for
not using it?

- Duncan

Duncan Thornton          | When an idea is too weak to stand the test of simple
thorntn@ccu.umanitoba.ca | expression, it should be dropped. - Vauvenargues

alain@elevia.uucp (W.A.Simon) (02/13/91)

In <1991Feb11.204302.27201@meteor.wisc.edu> foley@phoebus.meteor.wisc.edu (Jonathan Foley) writes:

>|> As my mother used to say "Two wrongs don't make a right."
>|> If the U.S. dropped a tactical nuke, I thinked G.Bush should be tried as a
>|> war criminal.
>|> Paul Bombach
>Just a thought...with the typical Washington 'doublespeak' going on,
>I was wondering what George and his friends would call a nuclear
>bomb used on Iraqi troops?
>I think I know - a 'tactical fission liberation device'.
>This goes very well with his 'revenue enhancement' instead of 'new
>taxes' crap.

	the vocable already exist, let's try combining it:

		active measure of dissuasion (AMD)
		radical dissuasion initiative (RDI)
		threat eradication measure (TEM)
		last warning promotion (LWP)
		limited capability anihilation (LCA)
		tactical balance redressment (TBR)
		positive insertion measure (PIM)
		enhanced retaliatory response (ERR)
		peace making offering (PMO)
		show of force (SOF)
		display of intentions (DOI)
		war-ending resource application of tactical hardship (WRATH)
		final solution (FS)
		free sample (FS)

	in the Nixon years it would have been:

		The other thing
		The unthinkable
		What we don't want to do
		We never have and never will

	Reagan would probably have said:

		This other voodoo you do
		Whatchamacallit
		This new toy you told me about
		Let's bomb this guy in Lybia, what's his name
		Tactical what?

>Jonathan Foley                       foley@meteor.wisc.edu

--
Alain
	    				        UUCP: alain@elevia.UUCP

towfiq@FTP.COM (Mark Towfiq) (02/13/91)

Please get this out of trial.talk.politics.peace.  Out of all the
Newsgroups: above, postings on this topic are LEAST appropriate here.

Mark
--
Mark Towfiq, FTP Software, Inc.                                  towfiq@FTP.COM
Work No.: +1 617 246 0900			      Home No.: +1 617 488 2818

  "The Earth is but One Country, and Mankind its Citizens" -- Baha'u'llah

alain@elevia.uucp (W.A.Simon) (02/13/91)

In <JMC.91Feb11182258@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU> jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) writes:
>I think George Bush will correctly decide that avoiding the use of
>tactical nuclear weapons is worth letting a rather large number of
>American soldiers die.  His project of freeing Kuwait, preventing Iraq
>from being able to do it again, and making sure than conquest is
>unfashionable faces enough political difficulties as is.

	why "correctly"?  Pragmatism in war dictates that
	you use the correct weapon in terms of gains as
	opposed to losses.  Here the use of tactical nukes
	would be correct.  Strategic bombing (as in Baghdad)
	as been very restrained (so to speak).  The loss
	of a few planes and crews has been judged to be
	an acceptable cost in order to spare as many civilians
	as possible.  I guess this falls under your definition
	of "correct".

>Truman was in a quite different political position.  If he had
>let American soldiers die because of failure to use the bomb,
>his political chances would have been nil.

	Truman (and the people who were advising him) decided
	to use strategic (not tactical) nukes for reasons which
	have little to do with saving US lives.  Saving US lives
	may have been a convenient rationale, and a good side
	effect, but the true reason was to scare the Soviets
	shitless.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the first victims
	of the cold war.  I am not saying it was the only reason,
	but the two bombs would not have been dropped if it had
	just been to terminate the war speedily.  Japan, by that
	time, was already quite damaged and about to cave in.
	There was a need on the part of the US to show superior
	military strength and the will to use it.  In Baghdad,
	the bombing is meant to do exactly this, with some
	restraint.  The time may come when this will not be
	enough and more convincing arguments must be used.  If
	it is done under tactical conditions, nobody will blame
	the US for it.  I don't think the US consider strategic
	nukes at all.

	I just hope the diplomats get together before anyone
	wins this war.

--
Alain
	    				        UUCP: alain@elevia.UUCP

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.195346.8520@elevia.uucp> alain@elevia.uucp (W.A.Simon) writes:

   In <JMC.91Feb11182258@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU> jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) writes:

   >Truman was in a quite different political position.  If he had
   >let American soldiers die because of failure to use the bomb,
   >his political chances would have been nil.

	   Truman (and the people who were advising him) decided
	   to use strategic (not tactical) nukes for reasons which
	   have little to do with saving US lives.  Saving US lives
	   may have been a convenient rationale, and a good side
	   effect, but the true reason was to scare the Soviets
	   shitless.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the first victims
	   of the cold war.  I am not saying it was the only reason,
	   but the two bombs would not have been dropped if it had
	   just been to terminate the war speedily.  Japan, by that
	   time, was already quite damaged and about to cave in.
	   There was a need on the part of the US to show superior
	   military strength and the will to use it.  In Baghdad,
	   the bombing is meant to do exactly this, with some
	   restraint.  The time may come when this will not be
	   enough and more convincing arguments must be used.  If
	   it is done under tactical conditions, nobody will blame
	   the US for it.  I don't think the US consider strategic
	   nukes at all.

	   I just hope the diplomats get together before anyone
	   wins this war.

Alain, how old are you?  When you ask men slightly older than
me, what he thought when the A-bomb was dropped, he is likely
to say something like, "My division had just been shipped from
Europe to California, and we were getting ready to be shipped
out to take part in the invasion of Japan.  The bomb saved my
life."  Another said "My ship was being refitted after taking
two kamikaze hits".

The invasion of Japan would have been extremely bloody.  Given how
narrow was the margin of the Japanese decision to surrender after the
A-bomb, it seems quite unlikely that they would have surrendered
before an invasion without the bomb.

If the bomb had been witheld, these men would have found out before
very long.  Truman might even have been impeached.  There were
15 million men in the service at that time.

alain@elevia.uucp (W.A.Simon) (02/15/91)

In <JMC.91Feb13223430@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU> jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) writes:
>In article <1991Feb12.195346.8520@elevia.uucp> alain@elevia.uucp (W.A.Simon) writes:
>   In <JMC.91Feb11182258@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU> jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) writes:
>   >Truman was in a quite different political position.  If he had
>   >let American soldiers die because of failure to use the bomb,
>   >his political chances would have been nil.
>	   Truman (and the people who were advising him) decided
>	   to use strategic (not tactical) nukes for reasons which
>	   have little to do with saving US lives.  Saving US lives
>	   may have been a convenient rationale, and a good side
>	   effect, but the true reason was to scare the Soviets
>	   shitless.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the first victims
>	   of the cold war.  I am not saying it was the only reason,
>	   but the two bombs would not have been dropped if it had
>	   just been to terminate the war speedily.  Japan, by that
>	   time, was already quite damaged and about to cave in.
>	   There was a need on the part of the US to show superior
>	   military strength and the will to use it.  In Baghdad,
>	   the bombing is meant to do exactly this, with some
>	   restraint.  The time may come when this will not be
>	   enough and more convincing arguments must be used.  If
>	   it is done under tactical conditions, nobody will blame
>	   the US for it.  I don't think the US consider strategic
>	   nukes at all.
>	   I just hope the diplomats get together before anyone
>	   wins this war.
>Alain, how old are you?

	I was born a year after Hiroshima.  Is this relevant?

>                         When you ask men slightly older than
>me, what he thought when the A-bomb was dropped, he is likely
>to say something like, "My division had just been shipped from
>Europe to California, and we were getting ready to be shipped
>out to take part in the invasion of Japan.  The bomb saved my
>life."  Another said "My ship was being refitted after taking
>two kamikaze hits".
>The invasion of Japan would have been extremely bloody.  Given how
>narrow was the margin of the Japanese decision to surrender after the
>A-bomb, it seems quite unlikely that they would have surrendered
>before an invasion without the bomb.
>If the bomb had been witheld, these men would have found out before
>very long.  Truman might even have been impeached.  There were
>15 million men in the service at that time.

	The bomb may have saved these guys.  The official
	doctrine is that it did.  And why not.  But there
	were many reasons for and against it flying around.
	The quick end to the war was only one of them.  No
	issue is ever that simple.  In fact there were very
	strong evidences that Japan was about to capitulate
	anyway and a show of force a hundred miles off the
	coast of Japan might have been enough.  Imagine the
	impression it would have had on a forewarned audience.
	Given the "dirty" nature of the then current bombs, a
	display of power on a remote island, with invited
	Japanese dignitaries, was considered.  Both ideas had
	actually been considered.  That they were rejected
	is an indication that other factors entered the
	equation.  My sources say nothing about Japanese
	hesitations after the bombings.  There were many
	face saving tactics, but no real illusion as to the
	outcome.

--
Alain
	    				        UUCP: alain@elevia.UUCP

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (02/16/91)

The main relevant book is entitled "The Japanese Decision to Surrender".
I haven't read it, but I did read a biography of Emperor Hirohito,
which described his decisive role in the decision.  There had been
some peace feelers that the Soviets had not passed on.

A demonstration might have had the usual effect of a gradual escalation.
A decision to fight on would have been easier after a demonstration.
Then, when the bombing actually occurred it would have been a smaller
step to decide to fight on anyway.

But this is a diversion from my main point that the troops would have
bitterly resented not using the bomb in the most effective way.
Also remember that Truman had been an artillery captain in WWI.

plogan@mentorg.com (Patrick Logan) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb12.174432.904@ccu.umanitoba.ca> thorntn@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Duncan Peter G. Thornton) writes:
   I would like to give Truman the benefit of the doubt here,
   and assume that he did not drop both bombs because he was
   worried about re-election, but because he sincerely believed
   it would save lives (and not just American soldiers' lives).

It is widely accepted now that the bombs were dropped in August in an
effort to reduce Soviet influence in post-war Asia. Evidence in the
form of diaries and other documents made available via the freedom of
information act is widely available but doesn't receive much
publicity.

I don't have references at hand, but given some time can produce them.

   Duncan Thornton          | When an idea is too weak to stand the test of simple
   thorntn@ccu.umanitoba.ca | expression, it should be dropped. - Vauvenargues

--
Patrick Logan, uunet!mntgfx!patrick_logan -or- patrick_logan@mentorg.com
Mentor Graphics Corp. 8500 SW Creekside, Beaverton, Oregon 97005-7191

aleck@krypton.ecn.purdue.edu (Aleck Alexopoulos) (02/20/91)

plogan@mentorg.com (Patrick Logan) writes:

>In article <1991Feb12.174432.904@ccu.umanitoba.ca> thorntn@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Duncan Peter G. Thornton) writes:
>   I would like to give Truman the benefit of the doubt here,
>   and assume that he did not drop both bombs because he was
>   worried about re-election, but because he sincerely believed
>   it would save lives (and not just American soldiers' lives).

>It is widely accepted now that the bombs were dropped in August in an
>effort to reduce Soviet influence in post-war Asia. Evidence in the
>form of diaries and other documents made available via the freedom of
>information act is widely available but doesn't receive much
>publicity.

OK, you have two bombs and lets say that you want to use them to put an
end to the war and thus minimize the casualities. Why not use the first
one as a WARNING? For example, drop on a lightly populated area and
THEN demand an unconditional surrender "or else".
   Even if your enemy doesnt surrender and you're forced to drop the
next one on a big city, you can still claim that .... "well at least we tried".

Lets face it, the last thing on the US generals minds at the time was
minimizing Japanese civilian casualitites......

But then, thats war.......
Lets hope it "never happens again".

Aleck H Alexopoulos