[uci.next] XNeXT

kwerle@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Werle) (04/02/91)

Thanks to all who gave me advice with the kermit problem.  Getting
V 5A and using the setuid did the trick.  I also grabbed a copy of
patch from uunet, and got it to compile with a little tweaking
(-bsd option for compiling).

Once again I seem to have a 'right's' problem...
OK, I have this real 'nifty' :-) X thing up and running... for root.
When I try to run it as anything else I get:
Fatal server bug!
no screens found
Everyone has read permission for all the X files, but only root has
write permission, so I suspect that it's either that, or that other
users can't grab control of the screen like root can (if that's at
all possible).
Help with this problem, as well as any documentation for Xnext would
be appreciated (I got none that I know of).
I hear that there's a 'hot-key' for switching 'tween NextStep and X?
If so, what is it?

Thanks again,
Kurt

howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) (04/04/91)

In article <27F81F3A.26627@ics.uci.edu> kwerle@ics.uci.edu (Werle) writes:

>Once again I seem to have a 'right's' problem...
>OK, I have this real 'nifty' :-) X thing up and running... for root.
>When I try to run it as anything else I get:
>Fatal server bug!
>no screens found

chmod 66 /dev/vid0.

>Help with this problem, as well as any documentation for Xnext would
>be appreciated (I got none that I know of).

There is very little (if any).  Just some release notes.  There isn't
a whole lot to document, other than it being X.

>I hear that there's a 'hot-key' for switching 'tween NextStep and X?
>If so, what is it?

Command-Command-Delete, or Command-Command-Keypad*
(ie, hold down both command keys, and hit a delete or the * on the
keypad).

Howie Kaye				howie@columbia.edu
Columbia University 			hlkcu@cuvma.bitnet
UNIX Systems Group			...!rutgers!columbia!howie