[comp.unix.aix] keybindings under PS-2/AIX-1.0 ^C/shift anyone ??

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (09/22/89)

For my DEC-trained hands, the shiftlock & control key positions on the PS2
keyboard are awful, and I am suffering. Does anyone know of a way to remap
this keyboard under PS2 running AIX ?? There was a program that did this
nicely under DOS, but I have not yet found a way to do this under AIX, and
TFM seems to indicate that this may not be doable (?) [Tho I must admit I
have skimmed the documentation fairly rapidly, and I may have missed
something.]

oz
--
The king: If there's no meaning	   	    Usenet:    oz@nexus.yorku.ca
in it, that saves a world of trouble        ......!uunet!utai!yunexus!oz

mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) (09/23/89)

In article <3914@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>For my DEC-trained hands, the shiftlock & control key positions on the PS2
>keyboard are awful, and I am suffering. Does anyone know of a way to remap
>this keyboard under PS2 running AIX ??

Here's a magical sequence for doing it.  From the first HFT on the console
press:
		control left-alt right-shift twice
		enter the letter "c"
		press enter

Your caps lock is now a control key and the left-alt key is now the caps lock.

--
  Mark Dapoz  (mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP)  ...uunet!mnetor!hybrid!mdapoz

I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy.
	   -- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.

In article <3914@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>For my DEC-trained hands, the shiftlock & control key positions on the PS2
>keyboard are awful, and I am suffering. Does anyone know of a way to remap
>this keyboard under PS2 running AIX ?? There was a program that did this
>nicely under DOS, but I have not yet found a way to do this under AIX, and
>TFM seems to indicate that this may not be doable (?) [Tho I must admit I
>have skimmed the documentation fairly rapidly, and I may have missed
>something.]

The answer to your question is a qualified yes. There is a program which
will allow you to remap keys on the keyboard. (I believe that the
program is called defkey, though I don't remember offhand) In any case,
although the program is very nice, and lets you do some neat things,
it NOT let you swap those two keys. In the tech ref (vol 1) under the
devices section, there is a list off all the different possible
keyboards, and the values associated with each key. Under the CAPS LOCK
key and the CTRL key there is a note which states that "these keys may
not be altered" or some such. Unless something gets rewritten, you are
going to have to live with it.

BTW, I've had two months of practice and I'm STILL confusing them!

				Greg Stockton

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (09/24/89)

In article <3914@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>For my DEC-trained hands, the shiftlock & control key positions on the PS2
>keyboard are awful, and I am suffering.

So is everyone else.

>Does anyone know of a way to remap this keyboard under PS2 running AIX ?

By changing the keyboard scan code mapping in the kernel.  Swapping the "ESC"
and "`/~" keys is also very helpful.

If the system you have contains "ldminit" program, you are half-way there.
adb can also be helpful.  Perhaps I should write a quick patching hack to
do this key-swap thing...  Jack?  Want to do it?
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (09/25/89)

In article <20188@gryphon.COM> oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>In article <3914@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>>For my DEC-trained hands, the shiftlock & control key positions on the PS2
>>keyboard are awful, and I am suffering.

>If the system you have contains "ldminit" program, you are half-way there.
>adb can also be helpful.  Perhaps I should write a quick patching hack to
>do this key-swap thing...  Jack?  Want to do it?

Sorry Oleg, I won't bite. Besides as a previous poster pointed out ( I
wondered where he learned this since I am not aware of it being documented)
you can remap just those two keys using the console MDMODE. See that
posting on how to do it. Furthermore, I don't know if AIX PS/2 1.x has
ldminit and even if it did, it can only alter the data segment of the
kernel, and I don't believe your mappings live there. Finally, adb is
not part of the product, dbx is the supported debugger. Oh Well.

Disclaimer: IMHO

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (09/25/89)

In article <6372@turnkey.gryphon.COM> jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:
>Sorry Oleg, I won't bite. Besides as a previous poster pointed out ( I
>wondered where he learned this since I am not aware of it being documented)
>you can remap just those two keys using the console MDMODE.

I was under impression that the console/kernel debugger was not shipped in the
General Availability product.  I may be wrong.

>Furthermore, I don't know if AIX PS/2 1.x has
>ldminit and even if it did, it can only alter the data segment of the
>kernel, and I don't believe your mappings live there.

Well, maint invokes ldminit, so it must be somewhere there.  Unless 386 maint
has gotten changed to use "newkernel" only -- I have been trying to stay away
from installation as far as I can,

I am reasonably sure that the key mappings are in the data section.  Take a
look at os.config on izar or electra, for instance.

>Finally, adb is not part of the product, dbx is the supported debugger.

In Gen2 as well?!?!

A stroke of executive genius, to be sure.  I assume, though, physpatch is
available?  If not, someone out there can make some money writing a binary
symbolic editor for AIX.
--

mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) (09/26/89)

In article <20206@gryphon.COM> oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>I was under impression that the console/kernel debugger was not shipped in the
>General Availability product.  I may be wrong.

No, it is shipped and even documented under the device driver section (where
else :-), it starts on page C-92 of the Tech Ref Vol 2.  I guess including it
sorta makes up for leaving out adb, grrrrr.