[comp.unix.aix] AIX on PC

macgyver@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu (wilson m liaw) (09/19/89)

	Is AIX available for PC?

				Mac

-=-
Wilson Mac Liaw                           $  Two sure ways to tell a sexy male;
Internet   : macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu  $  the first is, he has a bad memory.
CompuServe : 71310,1653                   $  I forget the second :)
GEnie : W.Liaw                            $

In article <61434@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> wilson m liaw <macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>	Is AIX available for PC?

	Yes, IBM has a version of AIX for the PS/2. The system itself
	uses about 35M, and all the programs (such as the C compiler,
	development tools, and windowing systems use up about 20Mb more.
	I use it at work, and am very happy with it. The documentation
	is good, and the system itself is well implemented.

	BTW, to the person who asked about AIX supporting more than 2
	users: use the devices command to create as many pseduo-terms as
	you want. This will allow several users to access your system at
	once. (I have about 4 defined.)

					  Greg Stockton
					  (914)452-4150

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (09/20/89)

In article <61434@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> wilson m liaw <macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>	Is AIX available for PC?

Nothing smaller than 386.  386 models of PS/2, 370 with VM (SP and XA; 9370,
43** and 3090 machines).

And RT, if you have nothing better to do with your money.
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg

pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek) (09/22/89)

In article <4652@cps3xx.UUCP> stockton@frith.egr.msu.edu (Ronald G Stockton) writes:
>In article <61434@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> wilson m liaw <macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>>
>>	Is AIX available for PC?
>>
>	Yes, IBM has a version of AIX for the PS/2.
>
>					  Greg Stockton

This needs to qualified slightly: only the 386-based PS/2's support
AIX.  At this time, this means the Models 70 and 80.  In order to
obtain reasonable performance, I would recommend at least a 20mhz
processor.

And get a *fast* disk!  AIX generates *lots* of disk activity.

Don Pajerek

eclarke@ironside.uucp (09/24/89)

>>>	Is AIX available for PC?
>>>
>>	Yes, IBM has a version of AIX for the PS/2.
>
>This needs to qualified slightly: only the 386-based PS/2's support
>AIX.  At this time, this means the Models 70 and 80.  In order to
>obtain reasonable performance, I would recommend at least a 20mhz
>processor.
>
>And get a *fast* disk!  AIX generates *lots* of disk activity.

I suspect that Don has a limited amount of RAM.  Expanding your RAM by several
Mega Bytes will reduce your disk access significantly.  The money spent on
RAM is better spent than buying a faster Harddisk.

The above oppinion is mine and in no way represents an official opinion of
IBM or IBM AWD Development.

Eric S. Clarke                                   UUCP: uunet!ibmsupt!eclarke
1510 Page Mill Road                              COM:  415-855-4458
Palo Alto, CA 94304                              TIE:  465-4458

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (09/24/89)

In article <308@isctsse.UUCP> pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Donald Pajerek) writes:
>And get a *fast* disk!  AIX generates *lots* of disk activity.

Virtual demand paged memory will do that to you.
--

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (09/26/89)

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>...pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Donald Pajerek) writes:
> >And get a *fast* disk!  AIX generates *lots* of disk activity.
>
> Virtual demand paged memory will do that to you.

Come on now.  The effect of demand-paging is to reduce the memory in use as
compared to a system which requires complete memory residence for a program
to execute.  There's some increase due to (effectively) scatter-loading
programs on startup.  But that should be more than offset by being able to
reclaim usable pages from the free list as programs are re-executed.

Let's be honest--the disk activity, if it's due to paging, is due to fat
programs and a fat kernel.  I'm not throwing stones at AIX, either;
virtually (sic) all recent UNIXoid systems are suffering from the same
obesity.  The kernels are getting fatter as fast as they can eat, and
application programmers are all too willing to believe that "virtual
memory" means "it ain't real, so use as much as you want."

> 			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

...and no excuses!
--
+---------+     Dick Dunn    rcd@ico.isc.com    ico!rcd      (303)449-2870
| In this |        4th annual MadHatterDay [10/6/89]:
|  style  |        A Kinder, Gentler Fool's Day

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (09/27/89)

In article <16131@vail.ICO.ISC.COM> rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) writes:
>Let's be honest--the disk activity, if it's due to paging, is due to fat
>programs and a fat kernel.

True.  AIX/PS kernel is huge.  And I am not sure why, either.  AIX has a LOT
of stuff in the kernel, true.  AIX/370 (Gen2) requires at least 3 Meg to run.

And NLS support does not make things any smaller.