[comp.unix.aix] AIX Documentation

tad@prism.gatech.EDU (Tad K. Mannes) (09/28/89)

I've heard that one of the greatest features of AIX is the documentation,
but I've seen a number of references here about problems with its doc.
I've heard that the documentation will have an index for error messages
from various daemons and the kernel, making problem diagnosis a little
easier.  Is this bunk or is it really any better than the usual Unix(r)
documentation?
--
Tad K. Mannes
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!tad

edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (09/29/89)

In article <2132@hydra.gatech.EDU> tad@hydra.gatech.edu.UUCP (Tad K. Mannes) writes:

>I've heard that one of the greatest features of AIX is the documentation,
>but I've seen a number of references here about problems with its doc.
>I've heard that the documentation will have an index for error messages
>from various daemons and the kernel, making problem diagnosis a little
>easier.  Is this bunk or is it really any better than the usual Unix(r)
>documentation?

It's true -- It's true!  AIX documentation (RT 2.2.1) is better than any
Unix documentation I've ever seen.  But, it's not the world's best
documentation.  If you've ever read an IBM manual, you know what to expect.
(I've read a few -- used to work for them before discovering the joys of
Unix).  Does have an index for error messages -- quite a few too.  But, guess
what -- when I was having problems with installing my Ethernet card, the
messages I was receiving were not in there!  I think the messages were coming
from the TCP/IP daemon -- conclusion:  not all messages from all daemons
are included.  I've got about twenty manuals, not including the ones on X.

--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (09/30/89)

In article <2132@hydra.gatech.EDU> tad@hydra.gatech.edu.UUCP (Tad K. Mannes) writes:

>I've heard that one of the greatest features of AIX is the documentation,

This is VERY much a matter of opinion.

>Is this bunk or is it really any better than the usual Unix(r)
>documentation?

The documentation bears little resemblance to standard unix manuals.
Plus they've added a fair number of commands (and seemingly changed
the names of some others) (and definitely changed options for MANY
commands, often gratuitously).  The manuals have been reordered, and
lots of cutesy pictures added.  The manuals remind me of PeeCee
manuals: heavy on leading you through where to find the `enter' key;
light on explaining what is going on (or describing the 1000 ways AIX
does things differently from SysV or BSD).

If you are new to Unix, I might be convinced that this is a Good Thing.

If not, you will probably find it a nightmare.

I don't know whether you can get on-line manual pages or not... we, at
least, don't have any and I regret that every time I have to do
something new on the beast (RT).

	../Dave

(The comparison to the MIPS that arrived last week is awesome, and I
don't just mean the hardware.... anybody want to buy a nice fully
configured RT?)

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (09/30/89)

In article <1989Sep30.013213.23458@tmsoft.uucp> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>manuals: heavy on leading you through where to find the `enter' key;
>light on explaining what is going on (or describing the 1000 ways AIX
>does things differently from SysV or BSD).

AIX-PS/2 and AIX/370 doccumentation is substantially better.  Also, wherever
possible and where it did not contradict POSIX and the needs of TCF (in
AIX/370), 4.3BSD and sVr2 semantics, flags and functionality were implemented.

>I don't know whether you can get on-line manual pages or not...

AIX/370 comes with on-line man pages.

>anybody want to buy a nice fully configured RT?

Perhaps the architects who misconceived that baby would take it back?
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg

drake@ibmarc.uucp (Sam Drake) (10/03/89)

On-line "man" pages are available for the RT as a PRPQ.  Ask your salesman.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center

roseman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Mark Roseman) (10/05/89)

Man pages at present aren't available on the PS/2 AIX (at least not last
time I checked, which was fairly recently).  They apparently are in the
works, but who knows the priority on that project (from what I understand,
the paper manuals - which I found fairly decent - were put together in
Script and BookMonster, and hence not amenable to being done directly as
man pages).