[comp.unix.aix] Maynstream tape under AIX on PS/2-80's?

ji@cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (10/07/89)

Me again!

I have two exabytes packaged by a company called "Maynard" something or
other. DOes anyone have any experience with them?

The AIX kernel won't see it (/dev/mt0 complains `no such device or
address') The only software they sent us runs under DOS, and I
couldn't even get it to run under DOSMERGE.

Any hints?

Thanks,

/ji

webb@bass.tcspa.ibm.com (Bill Webb) (10/12/89)

> I have two exabytes packaged by a company called "Maynard" something or
> other. DOes anyone have any experience with them?
> The AIX kernel won't see it (/dev/mt0 complains `no such device or
> address') The only software they sent us runs under DOS, and I
> couldn't even get it to run under DOSMERGE.

I can't advise about the AIX driver situation, but in order to have a
device work under DOS/MERGE you will probably have to add it to /etc/dosdev
- see pages 8-23 thru 8-27 of the DOS MERGE User's and Administrators Guide.

In particular you probably want to duplicate the example on the bottom of
page 8-26 replacing the name and numbers with the particular information
about your tape drive's ports and memory addresses.

The above views are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.
Bill Webb (IBM AWD Palo Alto), (415) 855-4457).
UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmsupt!webb

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (10/16/89)

In article <364@cs.columbia.edu> ji@cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) writes:
>Me again!
>
>I have two exabytes packaged by a company called "Maynard" something or
>other. DOes anyone have any experience with them?
>
>The AIX kernel won't see it (/dev/mt0 complains `no such device or
>address') The only software they sent us runs under DOS, and I
>couldn't even get it to run under DOSMERGE.

Maynard makes a drive they call the Maynstream.  A local company (Casselberry,
FLA - deep in the heart of Silicon Swamp).  All drives are shipped with DOS
software and the other drivers can be had by calling them.  (Maynard was just
recently purchased by Archive.)

Tech support phone number is  (407) - 263-3500.

I'm posting because the mail out of here get's lost much of the time.

Hope this helps.  Maynard has been very responsive any time I have called.

bill
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP