[comp.unix.aix] What flavor of Unix is aix?

markw@airgun.wg.waii.com (Mark Whetzel) (11/10/89)

In article <1989Nov8.170953.4375@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin,,,) writes:
> The subject line says it all.  Thanks for any replies.
>
> --
> --
> Jason Coughlin ( jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu , jk0@clutx )
> "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the
> part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of." - They Might Be Giants

AIX on the IBM RT (6150/6151) is mostly SYSV plus a lot of berkley 4.2?
(that is what I am using).  AIX on the IBM PS2 is berkley 4.3 port, or so
I have been told.  As we have never run it, I wouldn't know.

Markw
--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,

lcc@seashell.seas.ucla.edu (Locus Computing Corporation) (11/11/89)

In article <1989Nov8.170953.4375@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin,,,) writes:
>The subject line says it all.  Thanks for any replies.

	Tutti-fruity.  (Make of that what you wish.  The preceeding is
my own opinion and does NOT reflect IBM's or LCC's.)

news@awdprime.UUCP (USENET News) (11/16/89)

From: mjones@fenway.uucp (Mike Jones)

The ancestry of AIX on the RT is mostly System V.2, with some stuff from
bsd4.3. AIX on the PS/2 is based mainly on the code from the RT with
some more Berkeley stuff added and some work done by Locus.
Mike Jones				(914) 385-2315
AIX Kernel Development			83LA/581 005N-3 2NE-31
mjones@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com		Kingston, NY    12401

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (11/16/89)

In article <873@awdprime.UUCP> fenway.aix.kingston.ibm.com!mjones writes:
>The ancestry of AIX on the RT is mostly System V.2, with some stuff from
>bsd4.3. AIX on the PS/2 is based mainly on the code from the RT with
>some more Berkeley stuff added and some work done by Locus.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, like the kernel.  Geez...

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (11/16/89)

In article <873@awdprime.UUCP> fenway.aix.kingston.ibm.com!mjones writes:
>>AIX on the PS/2 is based mainly on the code from the RT with
>>some more Berkeley stuff added and

Saying that AIX PS/2 kernel (and AIX/370, for that matter) is mainly based on
RT code is misleading.  The kernel was modified to support RT-isms, which had
to be re-implemented in most cases, due to differences in the internal
designs of the kernels.  "Some more Berkeley stuff" is a 99% compatibility
with 4.3 BSD on the system call level, while maintaining sVr2 (as defined by
SVID) and 100% POSIX compliance.

Same goes for the utilities code and availability.  AIX/370 is very 4.3 BSD in
its behaviour to a user who prefers that environment (and everything feels
like SysV when you use "sh" :-)

>>some work done by Locus.

AIX project at LOCUS was a many years effort by one of the best collections of
UNIX talents in the world.  Not to minimize IBM's contribution, but calling
what LOCUS did "some work" is a gross and unfair under-statement.

Most of the LPPs, like compilers, WHIP, ATE, original GSL code, COBOL, and
all kinds of other "applications" I have no idea exist are IBM's work.
However, to my mind, applications do not define the "flavour" of UNIX.  The
kernel, C libraries support and tools, on the other hand, do.
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (11/19/89)

> >>some work done by Locus.

Anyone can get a crude idea of the original source for kernel modules on AIX
PS/2 by running the what command on the kernel libraries in /usr/sys/386.
A quick look at those modules that have embedded sccs strings shows
that about half are labeled IBM and half are labeled LCC.

--
A. Lester Buck		...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (11/20/89)

In article <474@siswat.UUCP> buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
>Anyone can get a crude idea of the original source for kernel modules on AIX
>PS/2 by running the what command on the kernel libraries in /usr/sys/386.
>A quick look at those modules that have embedded sccs strings shows
>that about half are labeled IBM and half are labeled LCC.

That's very misleading.  All of AIX code (kernel, utilities and applications)
are copyrighted by IBM and the executables are supposed to have IBM copyright
imbeded in them, unless some other entity holds explicit copyright and either
licenses software to IBM (Locus' PCI and MERGE code) or releases the software
in some other way (University of California, Berkeley, owns copyright on most
of the 4.3BSD TCP/IP code and 4.3 utilities).  A lot of AIX PS/2 code carries
LCC SCCS id strings, a lot of code does not -- regardless of whether the code
was developed at LCC or at IBM.
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg

mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) (11/22/89)

I believe a different group/company was responsbility for release 2.x of AIX
on each of the different IBM platforms (i.e. PS/2, RT, 370).

I think more of 3.x was done in-house using as much common source as possible;
hence AIX should look almost identical on each platform.