[comp.unix.aix] Info sought on raw ethernet access

micky@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) (01/08/90)

We are running AIX/PS2 1.1 on a bunch of model 80's with UB ethernet cards.
Is there any documentation on how to access the raw ethernet or even a manual
page for device net0?  We are experimenting with some new protocols and need
to read/write directly from/to the ethernet card.  Any information would be
greatly appreciated.

Micky

internet: micky@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
  usenet: ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixf!micky
  bitnet: micky@cunixc.bitnet

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (01/09/90)

In article <1990Jan7.212732.12668@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> micky@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) writes:
>We are running AIX/PS2 1.1 on a bunch of model 80's with UB ethernet cards.
>Is there any documentation on how to access the raw ethernet or even a manual
>page for device net0?  We are experimenting with some new protocols and need
>to read/write directly from/to the ethernet card.  Any information would be
>greatly appreciated.

It is normal for an OS vendor NOT to supply 3rd party hardware information,
for that contact the hardware vendor, i.e.,UB. However, you may get a
certain amount of satisfaction by taking a look at the header file:
/usr/include/sys/i386/eth_un_reg.h.

Good Luck

Disclaimer: As always, my opinions only.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

mowat@pyrshadow (Eric Mowat @ Pyramid Technology Corp., Mountain View, CA) (01/10/90)

In article <1990Jan7.212732.12668@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> micky@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) writes:
 >We are running AIX/PS2 1.1 on a bunch of model 80's with UB ethernet cards.
 >Is there any documentation on how to access the raw ethernet or even a manual
 >page for device net0?  We are experimenting with some new protocols and need
 >to read/write directly from/to the ethernet card.  Any information would be
 >greatly appreciated.

As I remember, the AIX driver does NOT support reads/writes to the raw
device.  Everything is set to go thru the IP layer.  Nobody said though
you can't write your own driver, provided you can get documentation from
U.B.

	Eric Mowat
	mowat@pyrshadow.pyramid.com

garnett@a.cs.okstate.edu (John Garnett) (01/10/90)

In article <1990Jan7.212732.12668@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> micky@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) writes:
>Is there any documentation on how to access the raw ethernet or even a manual
>page for device net0?  We are experimenting with some new protocols and need
>to read/write directly from/to the ethernet card.  Any information would be
>greatly appreciated.

The only information on AIX PS/2 device drivers that I have seen is
included in an appendix of the AIX PS/2 Operating System Technical
Reference.  I believe that the net0 driver was one of the ones discussed.

John

pete@bally.Bally.COM (Pete Gregory) (01/12/90)

In article <1990Jan7.212732.12668@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> micky@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) writes:
>We are running AIX/PS2 1.1 on a bunch of model 80's with UB ethernet cards.
>Is there any documentation on how to access the raw ethernet or even a manual
>page for device net0?  We are experimenting with some new protocols and need
>to read/write directly from/to the ethernet card.  Any information would be
>greatly appreciated.

I might get in trouble for posting this, but IBM themselves have the answer.
We needed to be able to write directly to ethernet (so we could communicate
with a PDP-11 running RSTS 9.6 - no TCP or IP available  :-(  ).  We kept
pounding our SE (in a FRIENDLY, persistent manner), telling him we had no
alternative (which was true).

After six weeks, we were put in contact with someone in Texas (who I
cannot betray under penalty of death!), who provided us with a file called
bio_dd.h, along with example programs on how to read and write to the
ethernet.

Out of respect for IBM, see your SE and have him get you that .h file.
I know it exists - I've seen it.  Good luck...

Pete Gregory   : uucp:   uunet!bally!pete            |
Software Engr. : domain: pete@bally.bally.com     ---|---
Bally Systems  : phone:  702-323-6156 x882           |         John 3:16
255 Bell St.   : FAX:    702-323-5997                |     (think about it!)
Reno, NV 89503