[comp.unix.aix] Is NFS available for AIX?

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (01/14/90)

Is NFS available for AIX, either as Public Domain or Commercial
software?  Is it in the distribution for IBM?  The 'mount' command's
documentation does not seem to mention any support for remote
filesystems.  I really need this in order to make AIX work for me, so I
will appreciate any responses.  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu   < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wugate!wubios!david         v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (01/15/90)

In article <992@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.UUCP (David J. Camp) writes:
>Is NFS available for AIX, either as Public Domain or Commercial
>software?

NFS is not available for release 1.1, however it will be available in
release 1.2 when it ships. Talk to your IBM representative about upgrading.
I am not sure what the policy will be but I am almost certain that an
easy upgrade path will be available. Oh yes, I also don't know if any
official date has been set for the 1.2 ship date but I believe the target
is end of 1st quarter.

Disclaimer: This is not an official statement of IBM or LCC, MHO only.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

garnett@a.cs.okstate.edu (John Garnett) (01/15/90)

In article <992@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.UUCP (David J. Camp) writes:
>Is NFS available for AIX, either as Public Domain or Commercial
>software?  Is it in the distribution for IBM?  The 'mount' command's
>documentation does not seem to mention any support for remote
>filesystems.  I really need this in order to make AIX work for me, so I
>will appreciate any responses.  -David-

NFS is available as a standard AIX LPP.  NFS is documented in either
chapter 11 or 12 of the _Managing the AIX Operating System_ manual.
The same "mount" command is used for both local and remote mounts
(both NFS and DS).  Once NFS is correctly installed, you can issue a
command similar to the following to remote mount a directory:

mount -n waterloo -v nfs /u /waterloo/u

The argument to -n is the TCP/IP nodename of the remote host.  The
argument to -v is the type of virtual file system being used (either
NFS or IBM's DS).  You can set the default argument to -v by editing
the file named /etc/vfs.  In the above example /u refers to a remote
directory and /mnt refers to the local mount point.

I believe that NFS is also available with AIX PS/2 1.2.  The command
syntax is slightly different for AIX PS/2:

mount waterloo:/u /waterloo/u

Make sure that the remote host has its /etc/exports file set up to
allow your host remote mount permission.

--
John Garnett                           Computing and Information Sciences
                                       Oklahoma State University

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan/2113674) (01/17/90)

In article <992@wubios.wustl.edu>, david@wubios.wustl.edu (David
writes:
|>Is NFS available for AIX, either as Public Domain or Commercial
|>software?  Is it in the distribution for IBM?

You didn't mention for what machine, but I don't think that really
matter because IBM does support NFS on AIX. It is packaged seperately,
but it is available. In fact, I am using it on my RT right now! We can
even NFS mount our VM/CMS disks using the VM/TCPIP product.

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/19/90)

In article <992@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.UUCP (David J. Camp) writes:
>Is NFS available for AIX, either as Public Domain or Commercial
>software?  Is it in the distribution for IBM?  The 'mount' command's
>documentation does not seem to mention any support for remote
>filesystems.  I really need this in order to make AIX work for me, so I
>will appreciate any responses.  -David-

NFS for AIX PS/2 1.1 has been available from your branch sales office as a
"special" for customers who absolutely require NFS functionality before the
AIX PS/2 1.2 ship date.  My partner and I provided this on contract to IBM.

Given how close the estimated 1.2 ship date is, I'd recommend waiting.
Among other things, NFS will then be a supported product.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer