[comp.unix.aix] Mouse difficulties resolved

tunison@rice.edu (Jeffrey R. Tunison) (02/03/90)

in the week. I have found the answer on my own and am providing
it to the board to save other people from experiencing similar
difficulties. The problem was not with graPHIGS or with
PROFESSIONAL CADAM, it was....

An IBM PC/RT running AIX 2.2.1 will NOT recognize an IBM mouse
plugged into the mouse port until the CPU's power has been
completely turned OFF. Warm reboots will NOT result in the OS
realizing that a mouse is connected. You must power the machine
up from scratch after plugging that little guy in.

Jeffrey Tunison         tunison@rice.edu
Systems Programmer
Rice University

knop@dutecaa.uucp (Peter Knoppers) (02/04/90)

In article <4470@brazos.Rice.edu> tunison@brazos.rice.edu (Jeffrey R. Tunison) writes:
>An IBM PC/RT running AIX 2.2.1 will NOT recognize an IBM mouse
>plugged into the mouse port until the CPU's power has been
>completely turned OFF. Warm reboots will NOT result in the OS
>realizing that a mouse is connected. You must power the machine
>up from scratch after plugging that little guy in.
It is even worse than that:
Plugging in a mouse or keyboard in an RT while it is powered-up
may cause latch-up in the electronics in the mouse/keyboard which
can kill your mouse/keyboard within seconds.

This problem is not restricted to IBM RT computers, it applies to all
computers and all periferal devices that receive their operating
power through the cable that connects them to your computer!
--
  _____       __  __  __  __   ____   _____   _____   ______  _____    _____
 |  _  \     |  |/  ||  \|  | /    \ |  _  \ |  _  \ |   ___||  _  \  /  ___|
 |__|   |_|  |__|\__||__|\__| \____/ |__|    |__|    |______||__|\__||_____/
P. Knoppers, Delft Univ. of Technology, The Netherlands, knop@duteca.tudelft.nl

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (02/05/90)

In article <720@duteca.UUCP>, knop@dutecaa.uucp (Peter Knoppers) writes:
-> In article <4470@brazos.Rice.edu> tunison@brazos.rice.edu writes:
-> >****************************************************************
-> >An IBM PC/RT running AIX 2.2.1 will NOT recognize an IBM mouse
-> >plugged into the mouse port until the CPU's power has been
-> >completely turned OFF. Warm reboots will NOT result in the OS
-> >realizing that a mouse is connected. You must power the machine
-> >up from scratch after plugging that little guy in.
-> >****************************************************************
-> It is even worse than that:
-> Plugging in a mouse or keyboard in an RT while it is powered-up
-> may cause latch-up in the electronics in the mouse/keyboard which
-> can kill your mouse/keyboard within seconds.

It's even worse than worse than that! I've seen two RT *motherboards*
("planar boards) fried because mice were plugged/unplugged when
the system was on. Make sure all your users know not to plug in
or unplug the mouse or keyboard with the system powered up.
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim@applix.com