[comp.unix.aix] New product?

dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) (02/06/90)

Just got an invitation to an IBM product announcement.  Anyone know what
is being introduced?

Invite read:

	Unix users, you are invited to the launch of a very significant
	IBM product.  February 15, 1990.

Dwight Kelly
Network Publications, Inc.
Atlanta, GA

jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) (02/06/90)

In article <749@npiatl.UUCP> dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:
>Just got an invitation to an IBM product announcement.  Anyone know what
>is being introduced?
>
>Invite read:
>
>	Unix users, you are invited to the launch of a very significant
>	IBM product.  February 15, 1990.

  If you ask an IBM employee, they will say:

        "I don't know what you're talking about."

  If you ask someone who has one of the products, they will say:

        "I can't tell you anything unless you've signed a
         non-disclosure agreement with IBM."

   If you ask me, I'll say:

        "The Sparcstation I and the DECstation 3100 are very
         significant products."

     ---Jason
-----

Jason Martin Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet : jason@cs.utexas.edu            |          I
UUCP     : ...cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |       put the
BIX      : jlevitt                        |     chic in geek.

adam@ncifcrf.gov (Adam W. Feigin) (02/06/90)

In article <1107@gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:
>In article <749@npiatl.UUCP> dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:
>>Just got an invitation to an IBM product announcement.  Anyone know what
>>is being introduced?
>>
>>Invite read:
>>
>>	Unix users, you are invited to the launch of a very significant
>>	IBM product.  February 15, 1990.
>>

>   If you ask me, I'll say:
>
>        "The Sparcstation I and the DECstation 3100 are very
>         significant products."

Not that anyone asked me, but I just CANT resist:

"Significant for IBM, but not for the rest of us....just another in a
long series of products that IBM has introduced to try to gain a
foothold in the workstation market, only to fail in doing so. When
will they ever learn."
Internet: adam@ncifcrf.gov			Adam W. Feigin
UUCP: {backbonz}!ncifcrf!adam			Senior Systems Manager
Mail: P.O. Box B, Bldg 430	National Cancer Institute-Supercomputer Center
      Frederick, MD 21701		Frederick Cancer Research Facility

If someone from IBM comes up to you and says they support Unix, run
very fast in the opposite direction; they are lying.

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/06/90)

In article <749@npiatl.UUCP> dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:
> Just got an invitation to an IBM product announcement.  Anyone know what
> is being introduced?
>	Unix users, you are invited to the launch of a very significant
>	IBM product.  February 15, 1990.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this was the new PC-RT series that we have
been hearing rumors about for the last 2 years.  If you go, please post
a summary.

If you want a preview, there is an article in PC Week this week.

-john-

John A. Weeks III   (612) 942-6969   ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john
<***  ***  Disclaimer: Its my machine, so I can say whatever I want.  ***  ***>

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (02/06/90)

#In article <1107@gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:
#>In article <749@npiatl.UUCP> dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:

#>>Invite read:
#>>
#>>	Unix users, you are invited to the launch of a very significant
#>>	IBM product.  February 15, 1990.
#>>
#>   If you ask me, I'll say:
#>
#>        "The Sparcstation I and the DECstation 3100 are very
#>         significant products."
#>
     They work. Will it work?

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (02/06/90)

dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:

>Just got an invitation to an IBM product announcement.  Anyone know what
>is being introduced?

>Invite read:

>	Unix users, you are invited to the launch of a very significant
>	IBM product.  February 15, 1990.

Based on what I read in the industry rags, it is probably the RIOS
machine (i.e. the RT follow-on).  I am HOPING that they will also announce
that AIX PS/2 1.2 is available.  Release 1.1 is up to 13 update diskettes,
and applying the updates trashed my base OS (can you spell FRUSTRATION...
sure you can...)
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

windley@cheetah.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley/20000000) (02/07/90)

In article <24142@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:

   #>        "The Sparcstation I and the DECstation 3100 are very
   #>         significant products."
   #>
	They work. Will it work?

Yeah?  You must get machines from different branches of Sun and DEC than I
do.

--
Phil Windley                          |  windley@cheetah.ucdavis.edu
Division of Computer Science          |  ucbvax!ucdavis!cheetah!windley

etkind@bbn.com (Wendy Etkind) (02/07/90)

>>Just got an invitation to an IBM product announcement.  Anyone know what
>>is being introduced?
>
>>Invite read:
>
>>	Unix users, you are invited to the launch of a very significant
>>	IBM product.  February 15, 1990.

According to the New York Times IBM just announced that NeXT software
will run on the RT.

Wendy Etkind (etkind@bbn.com or uunet!bbn.com!etkind@uunet.uu.net)
Systems Software Engineer
BBN Systems and Technologies Corp.

d87hs@efd.lth.se (Henrik Sundstrom) (02/07/90)

In article <1499@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> adam@ncifcrf.gov (Adam W. Feigin) writes:
>Not that anyone asked me, but I just CANT resist:
>
>"Significant for IBM, but not for the rest of us....just another in a
>long series of products that IBM has introduced to try to gain a
>foothold in the workstation market, only to fail in doing so. When
>will they ever learn."

This in response to the upcoming IBM product announcement (February 15, 1990).

As for workstations, the RT isn't the answer to anybodys prayers, and I hesitate
to call any PS/2 a workstation. However, initiated rumor has it that among
the soon-to-be-released IBM products there is indeed a new line of RISC-based
workstations (possibly named System 6000) that should put an end to the insistant
allegations that IBM is unwilling to release any technology which is not at least
10 years old.

adam@ncifcrf.gov concludes:
>If someone from IBM comes up to you and says they support Unix, run
>very fast in the opposite direction; they are lying.

It is true that UNIX (i.e AIX) is not IBM's most foremost field of interest,
which is reflected by the fact that UNIX revenues represent only 1-2 percent
of IBM's annual revenues for last year. Nevertheless, this rates IBM as the
fifth largest UNIX company in the world in 1989 (UnixWorld, December 1989).
I have little doubt that IBM will be the no. 1 UNIX company within five years.
It is my sincere belief that, by that time, the UNIX support and development
efforts of IBM have become more wholehearted.

--
Henrik Sundstrom                         Email: d87hs@efd.lth.se
Student of Computer Science, Lund Institute of Technology (Lund University)

friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) (02/08/90)

dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:
>Just got an invitation to an IBM product announcement.  Anyone know what
>is being introduced?

A friend of mine got to see an IBM internal presentation about
their new workstation (the POWER series, some kind of stupid
acryonym), and the Big Product Announcement is supposed to be in
the next week or so.   He and I really like to bash IBM, but my
friend could not contain himself here -- he was totally impressed
with the system.  This is what I recall from the conversation.

IBM did extensive studies of what kinds of instructions were
needed by typical workstation, and they built a superscaler RISC
to match it.  Very high integer and floating point performance,
four or five instructions can execute at one time.

They use the MCA architecture, but they have some kind of mods
that kick up the speed from 40mbyte/second up to over
200mbyte/second (and maybe even higher, I don't recall) depending
on the model.  As much as they hate following standards, they
apparently did so by and large across the board.  NFS, AFS, and
TCP/IP come to mind.

UNIX is supposed to be hybrid of Sys V and Berkeley, with a main
focus on Posix compliance.  20000 pages of "great" documentation
on CD ROM, online manuals, hundreds of hours of UNIX tutorials,
etc.

They already have in the ballpark of a hundred applications
ported (including Frame, for instance) and have signed up many
more to be delivered by the end of the year.  They are setting up
porting centers with these machines plus Suns and DECs and such,
plus smart staff to help with the porting.

Oh, they also admitted explicitly that they blew it totally on
the RT and that if they do it again, nobody will take them
seriously in this market.  My friend says that they have not made
the same mistake again.

It looks like a really hot system.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561 voice   /   friedl@vsi.com   /   {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"Winning the Balridge Quality Award is as easy as falling off a horse." - me

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (02/09/90)

In article <51819@bbn.COM>, etkind@bbn.com (Wendy Etkind) writes:
> According to the New York Times IBM just announced that NeXT software
> will run on the RT.
>
> Wendy Etkind (etkind@bbn.com or uunet!bbn.com!etkind@uunet.uu.net)

The story I read said the NeXTStep user interface would be optionally
available at a later date. I'd be REALLY amazed if IBM made the
NeXT machine's 68000 binaries run on the RISC/6000 !!
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim@applix.com

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (02/09/90)

friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) writes:
[...assorted stuff about new product deleted...]
> ...20000 pages of "great" documentation
> on CD ROM,...

Beg pardon?  This is self contradictory...if it's "great", there won't be
20000 pages of it; if it's 20000 pages, it won't be great.  I hope this was
a typo!
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Mr. Natural says, "Use the right tool for the job."

karl@stiatl.UUCP (Karl Klingman) (02/09/90)

jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:

>>Just got an invitation to an IBM product announcement.  Anyone know what
>>is being introduced?
>>Invite read:
>>	Unix users, you are invited to the launch of a very significant
>>	IBM product.  February 15, 1990.

   No doubt the invitation is to hype the release of their RIOS computer.
   That's: Rarely Indicates anything Of Significance.  :^)

>  If you ask an IBM employee, they will say:

>        "I don't know what you're talking about."

  If you ask an IBM employee anthing at all you, will get that response.
  Believe me, they aren't lying to you.

--
   -   /| 				| Karl Klingman
   \`O.o'  -->GAK!   			| UUCP: gatech!stiatl!karl

>According to the New York Times IBM just announced that NeXT software
>will run on the RT.

Err, umm, umm, err, the NYTimes may be slightly confused, I dunno.  IBM
*did* license NeXTStEP from nEXt - a big hoopla was made about this a
while ago - although I'm not sure what NExtSTep really means; does it
include just the Objective-C stuff and libraries, or does it include the
nExT's window server?  I.e., will IBM offer the Display PostScript
server that NeXT uses, or will they offer some other DPS server, or have
they retargeted NeXTStep to run atop raw X11 or something like that?

However, I don't know that this can be translated to "NeXT software will
run on the RT"; NeXT's Mach may not necessarily be 100% compatible with
AIX, and NeXT *binaries* won't run unless RIOS is nice and whizzy and
fast and can simulate a 68030 at reasonable speed, or they have an
object-to-object compiler from 68K to America....

Lacking inside information, I'd simply be inclined to wait for the
announcement before trying to guess what the new hardware and software
will do about NeXT applications.

steele@m2.csc.ti.com (Jeri Steele) (02/10/90)

One of the Fall UNIX Today's had all the info on the new product.
Attending the disclosure was almost ho-hum after reading the article.

I for one am a long time Systems Software programmer [I use
shared memory, lots of forks, signals, etc.]  of UNIX (6+ years) and
I still got excited about this announcement from IBM.  My previous
employer was a IBM Marketing Partner and I signed agreements so I
can't say more.

A few words in defense of IBM:

As an AT&T user when the IBM systems engineer wheeled in the RT
I was sceptical. I figured IBM-UNIX was an oxymoron!

But, when I had problems with the RT, my systems engineer
was right there.  IBM had him and the regional AIX expert to come with
me to my customer's site 450 miles away.  Its quite a sight to have
your company come trooping in with all these IBM folk who take off
their coats, roll up their sleeves, and stay with you till 2 am to
solve the problems!

Their current products aren't perfect.  I hope the new one goes through
more QA than the RT before release.  I pray for the sake of those
that have to talk to mainframes, the new netview & SNA interfaces
are more stable! But I for one have had considerably better
sales & service experiences with IBM than I have had with AT&T.

The above are personal comments have nothing to do with my current
employer....

	Jeri Steele
*--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--
steele@ni.csc.ti.com   "..one person's acronym is another person's anachronism"

jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) (02/11/90)

In article <109944@ti-csl.csc.ti.com> steele@m2.csc.ti.com (Jeri Steele) writes:
>One of the Fall UNIX Today's had all the info on the new product.
>Attending the disclosure was almost ho-hum after reading the article.
> ...[stuff deleted]....
>A few words in defense of IBM:
>
>As an AT&T user when the IBM systems engineer wheeled in the RT
>I was sceptical. I figured IBM-UNIX was an oxymoron!
>
>But, when I had problems with the RT, my systems engineer
>was right there.  IBM had him and the regional AIX expert to come with
>me to my customer's site 450 miles away.
>
>...[stuff deleted]... But I for one have had considerably better
>sales & service experiences with IBM than I have had with AT&T.

  Comparing IBM to AT&T isn't much of a comparison. AT&T isn't one
of the big players in the Unix workstation market other than their
development and licensing of SYSVR4, which has little to do with
selling and servicing Unix workstations. A lot of the major complaints
about the RT are equally applicable to the AT&T 3B series. If you
want to make an interesting comparison, look at the latest stuff from
Sun, HP, DEC, and MIPS.

     ---Jason

-----

Jason Martin Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet: jason@cs.utexas.edu         | "Disneyland exemplifies the essence of
UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  the American spirit and continues to
BIX     : jlevitt                     |  show us the way to follow our dreams."

n245bq@tamunix (Keith Perkins) (02/16/90)

In article <2924@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>According to the New York Times IBM just announced that NeXT software
>>will run on the RT.
>
>Err, umm, umm, err, the NYTimes may be slightly confused, I dunno.  IBM
>*did* license NeXTStEP from nEXt - a big hoopla was made about this a
>while ago - although I'm not sure what NExtSTep really means; does it
>include just the Objective-C stuff and libraries, or does it include the
>nExT's window server?  I.e., will IBM offer the Display PostScript
>server that NeXT uses, or will they offer some other DPS server, or have
>they retargeted NeXTStep to run atop raw X11 or something like that?
>
>However, I don't know that this can be translated to "NeXT software will
>run on the RT"; NeXT's Mach may not necessarily be 100% compatible with
>AIX, and NeXT *binaries* won't run unless RIOS is nice and whizzy and
>fast and can simulate a 68030 at reasonable speed, or they have an
>object-to-object compiler from 68K to America....

From what I understand from listening to the comp.sys.next newsgroup,
NeXTstep is source compatible onto the IBM AIX. I don't know how they
did it, but Ali Ozer from NeXT mentioned on the net that all the demos
that are availible on the NeXT cube can be compiled directly on the
NeXTstep for the IBM AIX.

On another note, MIT should be releasing soon the X-Windows port for
the NeXTstep. Beta testing versions were sent out to selected individuals
sometime in January. The word is that X-11 exists inside a window on the
NeXTstep interface.

Keith Perkins
n245bq@tamunix.tamu.edu
Texas A&M University