[comp.unix.aix] simple modem conn.

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (02/18/90)

I've just installed AIX on a Model 70, and would appreciate some help
with connecting a hayes type modem on tty0 for dialout. I have succeded
in connecting terminals and dialins on tty0, and dialout works UNTIL the
remote machine answers. When the connection is established (at the point
when the modem would be sending the "CONNECT 2400" string), the connection
is terminated. For simplicity in touble shooting I am using the command:
cu -ltty0 to connect, and manualling typing in the AT commands.

Here is the device configuration:

tt	=	vt100
bpc	=	8
pt	=	none
ixp	=	true
rts	=	2400
dvam	=	1
ae	=	false
nosb	=	1
elevel	=	1,4
cycle	=	true
xscan	=	false
aa	=	false
pro	=	dtr

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance . . . . . .

Harry P. Haas
Georgia Tech Research Institute
GTRI/RAIL/TDD S&E
HHaas@GTRI01.GATECH.EDU                            hh2@prism.gatech.edu

--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RAIL/TDD        "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (02/19/90)

In article <6100@hydra.gatech.EDU> hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) writes:
>I've just installed AIX on a Model 70, and would appreciate some help
>with connecting a hayes type modem on tty0 for dialout. I have succeded
>in connecting terminals and dialins on tty0, and dialout works UNTIL the
>remote machine answers. When the connection is established (at the point
>when the modem would be sending the "CONNECT 2400" string), the connection
>is terminated.

Your problem is that getty is undoubtedly getting in the way, I suspect
that if you did a ps you would probably see a login running. Now, I don't
have the documentation handy so I am not quite sure of the canonical way
to do this, but what you want to do is have the getty on that port
invoked with a -r flag. When you do this you enable the usual features
associated with the standard BNU uugetty; that is, before issuing any
login prompt it will check the /etc/locks subdirectory to determine if
uucp is using the line,etc,etc. Try editing your inittab stanza adding
that flag and then respawn getty, I believe your problem will disappear.

Disclaimer: This posting expresses my opinions, not necessarily LCC or IBM's

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -