[comp.unix.aix] AIX using Ultrix printer on the network

paine@fungus.enet.dec.com (Willy Paine) (02/16/90)

I am using IBM RT and AIX v2.2.1.  I have no trouble installing TCP/IP
on networking connection with several Ultrix machines, except for
printing.  I have no problem with rlogin, rcp, and mail.

I have printer "blzzrd" owned by Ultrix machine "fungus".  I want to
print out of "blzzrd" from AIX command over the network.   I could not
figure it out.   Just want to locate and setup network files and also
to use AIX commands to print over the network.

Thanks in advanced...

willy

uunet!fungus.enet.dec.com!paine
uunet!fungus.zso.dec.com!paine

francis@hslrswi.UUCP (Francis Demierre) (03/04/90)

In article <9002151720.AA16839@decwrl.dec.com> paine@fungus.enet.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

[ some stuff deleted ]
>I have printer "blzzrd" owned by Ultrix machine "fungus".  I want to
>print out of "blzzrd" from AIX command over the network.   I could not
>figure it out.   Just want to locate and setup network files and also
>to use AIX commands to print over the network.
>
>Thanks in advanced...
>
>willy
>
>uunet!fungus.enet.dec.com!paine
>uunet!fungus.zso.dec.com!paine

 The file to customize is '/etc/qconfig' where you should include a stanza
 for your printer.
 An example:

blzzrd:
	argname = blzzrd
	friend = FALSE
        device = dblzzrd

dblzzrd:
	file = /dev/<something>
        header = always
	align = TRUE
	backend = /usr/bin/lprbe  -statusfile=/usr/spool/lpd/blzzrd/status
 -pserver=fungus -pqueue=blzzrd -naix

  Then, as super-user, you should give the command 'print -rr' such as qconfig
  is re-read by the lpd deamon. Then ( I'm not sure it's needed),
  'print -du blzzrd' to bring the queue up. Then you should be able to print
  using 'print blzzrd <filename>'.

  To be able to print on fungus, your machine also needs to be registered in
  the fungus '/etc/hosts.equiv' file. (And, of course, 'fungus' must be
  in your '/etc/hosts' database unless you use another machine as 'nameserver')

  I think, if you include a 'printserver  <fungus internet address>' statement
  in your '/etc/hosts' databaase and you use 'print <filename>', the file
  will be printed on the fungus default printer (Not sure of that one, try).

  I have the same kind of entry on my RT (AIX 2.1.1) for a PostScript printer
  on a ULTRIX machine; works fine.

  I hope this helps....

Francis Demierre       UUCP: ...!mcvax!cernvax!hslrswi!francis
                       Unix mail: francis@hslrswi.UUCP