[comp.unix.aix] Where can I find compress/uncompress ??????

pete@bally.Bally.COM (Pete Gregory) (03/02/90)

Hi, y'all netlanders...

I have compress and uncompress on my RT (running AIX 2.2.1), and would
like to get compress/uncompress for my PS/2 (running AIX 1.1).

I'm not sure (honest) where compress came from - whether it was part of
AIX distribution or if someone got it off the net, but I would like to
get it (source or binary) for AIX-PS/2.

Another hint: when I run "strings compress", it looks similar (maybe identical)
to "strings zcat", another tool on our system (but my AIX-PS/2 doesn't have
zcat either   :-(  .

Can anyone help?  Thanks.......

Pete Gregory   : uucp:   uunet!bally!pete            |
Software Engr. : domain: pete@bally.bally.com     ---|---
Bally Systems  : phone:  702-323-6156 x882           |         John 3:16
255 Bell St.   : FAX:    702-323-5997                |     (think about it!)
Reno, NV 89503

ji@close.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (03/03/90)

In article <234@bally.Bally.COM> pete@bally.Bally.COM (Pete Gregory) writes:
>Hi, y'all netlanders...
>
>I'm not sure (honest) where compress came from - whether it was part of
>AIX distribution or if someone got it off the net, but I would like to
>get it (source or binary) for AIX-PS/2.

It's available for anonymous ftp from a number of sites, including
uunet.uu.net. In case you are worried, I have already compiled them on
aixps2s and they work fine.

compress, uncompress and zcat are all links to the same program, so if
you get one, you have them all.

/ji

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) (03/04/90)

From article <234@bally.Bally.COM>, by pete@bally.Bally.COM (Pete Gregory):
> I have compress and uncompress on my RT (running AIX 2.2.1), and would
> like to get compress/uncompress for my PS/2 (running AIX 1.1).

compress/uncompress/zcat are all the same program; the source code
comes as part of 'B' news.  Just make links to compress for uncompress
and zcat.
--
Ed Clarke      | Happiness, n.  An agreeable sensation arising from
acheron!clarke | contemplating the misery of another. - Ambrose Bierce

griefer@adg.almaden.ibm.com (Allan D. Griefer) (03/05/90)

Uncompress and zcat are both linked to compress.

Compress is a (I think) public domain program available from a number of
places.  It's onn the BSD user contribution tape and I think it is also
available via anonymous ftp from uunet, but I'n not certain.

Opinions are strictly my own,
Allan D. Griefer,       IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA
BITNET: GRIEFER at ALMADEN              Internet: griefer@ibm.com
UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmarc!griefer          mcimail: 398-8024