[comp.unix.aix] NFS mounts on R6000

hudgens@fsu.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Hudgens) (03/22/90)

  We have a 9005? version of AIX on a loaner R6000 on which we have
been unable to import NFS filesystems.  We have a server running
ULTRIX 3.0 and when we try:

    ibm# mount -v nfs dechost:/dechost/a /dechost/a
    mount: server dechost not responding: RPC: Authentication error;
	    why = Invalid client credential
    nfsmnthelp: dechost: 1201-013 Permission denied
    mount: giving up on:
	    dechost:/dechost/a
    1201-013 Permission denied

Tried this as well with a Sun3/60 (exporting to ibm).
Same general error message.

The above server handles suns, decs, irises, etc. just fine.  portmap is
running on the ibm, and ps gives the following:

ibm# ps ax
        PID STAT   TTY  TIME COMMAND
       3770   S       ?  0:00 portmap
       4284   S       ?  0:23 inetd
       5059   S       ?  0:00 biod
       6344   S       ?  0:00 biod
       6602   S       ?  0:00 rpc.stat
       6859   S       ?  0:00 rpc.moun
       7117   S       ?  0:00 rpc.lock
       7635   S       ?  0:00 qdaemon

ftp/rlogin/telnet work fine on the ibm in both
directions.  the ibm is in the export file on
both the sun and dec machines.  It is in the hosts file as well.
I've double checked everything...  I even set up a DEC vs2000
in parallel to mount the above hosts, and it works correctly.
I'm stymied.  Anyone willing to mail (or post) some suggestions?

void *standard_disclaimer() { /* The above represent my personal views */ }
Jim Hudgens			Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
hudgens@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu

jerry@..austin.ibm.com (Jerrold Heyman) (03/22/90)

One of the things you might check is the number of groups that root belongs
to.  NFS has a hard-coded limit of 8 groups, after that you get authentication
errors  that you mentioned.

Its a known problem and is being worked.

Jerry Heyman         IBM AWD                   Austin, Texas

dr@myrias.com (Dragos Ruiu) (03/24/90)

In article <588@fsu.scri.fsu.edu> hudgens@fsu.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Hudgens) writes:

>  We have a 9005? version of AIX on a loaner R6000 on which we have
>been unable to import NFS filesystems.  We have a server running
>ULTRIX 3.0 and when we try:
>
>    ibm# mount -v nfs dechost:/dechost/a /dechost/a
>    mount: server dechost not responding: RPC: Authentication error;
>	    why = Invalid client credential
>    nfsmnthelp: dechost: 1201-013 Permission denied
>    mount: giving up on:
>	    dechost:/dechost/a
>    1201-013 Permission denied
>
>Tried this as well with a Sun3/60 (exporting to ibm).
>Same general error message.

  We are evaluating an RS6000/520 right now, and I've had no end of
hassles with NFS.

  Just to add another datapoint, we got the identical symptoms above
when we tried to mount filesystems of SunOs3.5 servers. SunOs4.0.3
servers had their filesystems mounted all right. However after you
mount the 4.0.3 filesystems you get an ACL violation whenever you
try to cd to anywhere on that filesystem.

  After I removed root from some of the groups (so that root was in <8
groups) the 3.5 filesystems were mountable. But now we get:

NFS ACL operations not supported on server xxx: RPC: Program unavailable

  ...whenever we try to cd into the filesystem. You can read files
and get directory listings okay however.

  The local IBM people do not understand unix very well, so esoteric
bugs such as this are really beyond them.
--
Dragos Ruiu          What do you get when you cross a grape with an elephant ?
myrias!dr                        Grape Elephant Sine Theta

mikec@joplin.uucp (Michael Callahan/4194303) (03/25/90)

There seems to be several common problems with user of NFS on the
Risc System/6000:

1. Cannot mount older NFS servers (servers running with pre SunOS 4.0 NFS)

2. NFS ACL operations not supported on server xxx: RPC: Program unavailable

The first problem is that by default root is in more than 8 groups.  Older
NFS servers had a bug which caused them to only accept 8 groups.  This was
a violation of the protocol spec (see RFC 1057).  Changing root to have 8
or fewer groups will fix this problem.

The second problem is not a problem, but an informational message.  The
AIX file system supports Access Control Lists.  There is a special RPC program
running on AIX NFS servers to allow NFS clients to view/change these lists.
The message is there to inform the user (only happens on the first access
attempt of a newly mounted FS) that the "aclget", "aclput", "acledit", etc
commands will not work on this NFS filesystem.

	Mike Callahan
	cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auscsh!joplin.austin.ibm.com!mikec

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (03/25/90)

hudgens@fsu.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Hudgens) writes:
>  We have a 9005? version of AIX on a loaner R6000 on which we have
>been unable to import NFS filesystems.  We have a server running
>ULTRIX 3.0 and when we try:
>    ibm# mount -v nfs dechost:/dechost/a /dechost/a
>    mount: server dechost not responding: RPC: Authentication error;
>	    why = Invalid client credential

Make sure that 'root' on the RIOS isn't in more than 8 groups (including
its default group in /etc/passwd).

NFS servers before SunOS 4.0 fail if asked to authenticate a request from
a root login in more than 8 groups.  I'd guess that the Ultrix 3.0 server
has the same limitation.  Reducing the number of groups for root on our
RIOS allowed us to mount both SunOS 3 and Ultrix 3.0 filesystems with no
problems.
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (03/26/90)

In article <638224881.8222@myrias.com> dr@myrias.com (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
>  After I removed root from some of the groups (so that root was in <8
>groups) the 3.5 filesystems were mountable. But now we get:
>
>NFS ACL operations not supported on server xxx: RPC: Program unavailable
>
>  ...whenever we try to cd into the filesystem. You can read files
>and get directory listings okay however.
>
>  The local IBM people do not understand unix very well, so esoteric
>bugs such as this are really beyond them.

This is not exactly a bug.  NFS is telling you that the server does
not support Access Control Lists.  If you NFS mount another AIX 3.1
machine you should not receive this message.

Your best bet is probably to scream loudly in the direction of the
person responsible for the RS/6000 NFS code and have the message sent
"someplace else."

On 9011 between a Model 530 and a RT/PC running 2.2.1, I only received
the message two or three times per mount.  Typically once or twice
immediately after the mount, then possibly once or twice after some
operation on the remote filesystem.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

In article <1898@awdprime.UUCP> mikec@reed.UUCP (Michael Callahan) writes:
>The second problem is not a problem, but an informational message.  The
>AIX file system supports Access Control Lists.  There is a special RPC program
>running on AIX NFS servers to allow NFS clients to view/change these lists.
>The message is there to inform the user (only happens on the first access
>attempt of a newly mounted FS) that the "aclget", "aclput", "acledit", etc
>commands will not work on this NFS filesystem.

More accurately, it is telling you that the [f]statacl() and [f]chacl()
system calls won't work.

aclget, aclput and acledit are user-level commands to view/change/edit
access control lists.  They are not part of the NFS server.

The ACL system calls will dummy-up an ACL for a file on the wire that
is coming from an ACL-free filesystem, but I don't recall what happens
if you try to send an ACL back to the server.  I suspect the extended
entries are dropped on the floor silently, but I don't think you get an
error.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

luner@werewolf.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner) (03/27/90)

In article <588@fsu.scri.fsu.edu> hudgens@fsu.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Hudgens) writes:

>  We have a 9005? version of AIX on a loaner R6000 on which we have
>been unable to import NFS filesystems.  We have a server running
>ULTRIX 3.0 and when we try:
>
>    ibm# mount -v nfs dechost:/dechost/a /dechost/a
>    mount: server dechost not responding: RPC: Authentication error;
>	    why = Invalid client credential

The default distributed system has root in about 10 concurrent groups.
This group membership list is used by RPC to keep people honest.
Various systems' servers limit the number of concurrent groups to 8.
Edit /etc/group (better yet, use SMIT) to put root in fewer groups.
[Thanks to lexie@cs.wisc.edu].

	-- David

David Luner
Systems Engineer
IBM Madison
(608) 273-5243

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (03/27/90)

In article <10014@spool.cs.wisc.edu> luner@werewolf.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner) writes:
>The default distributed system has root in about 10 concurrent groups.
>This group membership list is used by RPC to keep people honest.
>Various systems' servers limit the number of concurrent groups to 8.

Would there be any merit in having the number of groups root is a
member of be reduced below 8 for the default /etc/group file?  Clearly
no one is going to buy a new release of ULTRIX because their NFS
server won't communicate with AIX 3.1.  This would seem to imply that
AIX needs to have a change made to it.

>Edit /etc/group (better yet, use SMIT) to put root in fewer groups.
>[Thanks to lexie@cs.wisc.edu].

Yes, anyone with a System/6000 should take a few hours out and play
with SMIT for a while.  I use SMIT to keep TCP/IP and NFS running
on my Model 530.  You can use it to create and manage filesystems,
users, devices, etc.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org