[comp.unix.aix] First impressions + one question

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (03/28/90)

	Well I finally got a day of hands on use of one of the new 6000
series boxes from IBM. We are waiting delivery of our own 320 at present
so I went over to the local IBM offices and used one of their machines for
day.
	My first impression was that porting software to this box is
not going to be a case of running make. It would appear that the includes
have been greatly changed and figuring out the right combinations of
#define will take some time. The following are my questions after one
day of use of the box:

	1) How do you reconfigure the kernel ?????
		- in particular I need to raise ulimit
		- I looked for all the normal commands like mkunix
		  and none appeared to be present as well I looked
	   	  through the info pages and smit and could find
		  nothing appropriate.

	2) What is special about the /dev/ directory that running
	   ls /dev would appear to invoke a number of processes?????

	3) How does the bidirectional getty handle locking ???
	   	- this is in reference to getting kermit working
		  on bidirectional ports.

	4) Are there any standard compiler flags for compiling
	   code moved from a standard SYS V environment ?

Thanks for any input
Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

gcoleman@edm.uucp or ....!alberta!edm!geoff

p.s. if you e-mail responses I'll send out a summary.

mbrown@osf.org (Mark Brown) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar28.062220.19948@edm.uucp>, geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff
Coleman) writes:
> 	My first impression was that porting software to this box is
> not going to be a case of running make. It would appear that the includes
> have been greatly changed and figuring out the right combinations of
> #define will take some time. The following are my questions after one

The changes were made courtesy of your local ANSI, POSIX, and X/OPEN standards
committees...

> [three other questions]

Sorry, I'm o sabbatical to OSF right now, and don't have all my manuals
with me....[blush]

> 	4) Are there any standard compiler flags for compiling
> 	   code moved from a standard SYS V environment ?

SysV code should compile "straight out of the box". If you are running into
"ANSI C"-type problems, add -D_NO_PROTO (no function prototyping) and
-D_ALL_SOURCE (superset to 'standards' namespace - this should be a default,
but the default may have been changed recently).

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  | The effort of using machines to mimic the
The Good     mbrown@osf.org | human mind has always struck me as rather silly.
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown| I would rather use them to mimic something
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 | better.       --Edsger Dijkstra

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar28.062220.19948@edm.uucp> geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>	1) How do you reconfigure the kernel ?????
>		- in particular I need to raise ulimit

The login ulimit is contained in /etc/security/user in the
"fsize" attribute.  The command "chuser fsize=1000000 username"
should raise the ulimit for "username".  Editing the file
by hand and changing the value in the "default" stanza will
change it for everyone.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org