[comp.unix.aix] Need help with Ethernet/Baseband for IBM PC RT

aelgouri@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Abdelatif Elgouri) (06/16/90)

I have an IBM PC RT running AIX 2.2.1, and I have been trying to put it
on the Ethernet Network. Each time I try to telnet or rlogin to a remote
host I get the following message:
net0: transmit timeout 8200: shutting down device
telnet: connect: connection timed out

I have added (using 'devices' command) net0 and pty's, and configured
the following files:
	 /etc/rc.include
	 /etc/hosts
	 /etc/rc.tcpip

	 as described in Interface program in use with TCP/IP document p A2
	 I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

					      A. Elgouri
					      Electrical & Computer Eng. Dpt.
					      Syracuse University
					      Syracuse, New York

khan@THOR.XRAYLITH.WISC.EDU (Mumit Khan) (06/16/90)

:: net0: transmit timeout 8200: shutting down device
:: telnet: connect: connection timed out
::
:: I have added (using 'devices' command) net0 and pty's, and configured
:: the following files:
::	 /etc/rc.include
::	 /etc/hosts
::	 /etc/rc.tcpip
::					      A. Elgouri

Few things to try out:
1. Interrupt vector setting on your card and the one you used in the
   devices command. The boards come with a setting of 9, and the devices
   command comes up with "3" when adding the net0 device. Make sure they
   match.
2. Edit the file /etc/net to comment the stanza corresponding to net0,
   and add the line (also edit the ipnumber):
       rip = input, output
    as the fourth if it's not already there. Run netconfig to configure
    the interfaces. This is usually done in your rc.tcpip file. Also,
    have you added the appropriate :
	ifconfig net0 `hostname` ...
    line in your rc.tcpip?
3. Bad cable/connector. Make sure the connection is ok. If you're using
   a DESTA, check the cable between the transceiver and the board.

Hope it helps.
Mumit -- khan@xraylith.wisc.edu

karish@mindcrf.UUCP (06/16/90)

In article <9006160226.AA26134@thor.xraylith.wisc.edu>
khan@THOR.XRAYLITH.WISC.EDU (Mumit Khan) writes:
>:: net0: transmit timeout 8200: shutting down device
>:: telnet: connect: connection timed out

This is symptomatic of an adapter configured for a memory-mapped address
other than the one the driver is configured for.  Look at the reference
page for the adapter in the hardware reference.  There are four
choices for the address, settable by jumpers on the card.  For some
reason, the address set on the card at the factory is not the same as
the default address used by 'devices'.
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000