[comp.unix.aix] installing several AIX PS/2's

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (06/27/90)

peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:

>I was wondering if there anyone out there who has the same problem.
>We have to install AIX 1.2 on ~30 PS/2's and I was wondering if there
>is any easy/efficient/time-saving way besides spending up to three
>hours on one machine swapping disks?

>Is there anyway?  Please tell me there is.  :(  I don't want to have
>to spend ~90 hours swapping disks!!

There is a much easier way, IF you want ~30 IDENTICAL machines.
Here is my method:

1. Install one machine (all disks, all updates, all products).
2. Boot from the maintennance disk, and take a "minidisk"
   backup of /<local>, and root minidisks (each to a separate tape).
3. On each "clone" machine...
   a. run the first part of the install from diskettes
      (i.e. through the point where it says "Completing first
       stage installation.")
   b. boot from the reference diskette and do a minidisk restore
      from your two backup tapes.

Note that this procedure will create machines with the same node name.
If you want to create machines with different names, then you might be
able to do so by changing the names after the install.

Note 2: IBM says that they will be shipping updates to AIX 1.2 to all
registered users of AIX 1.2 in the next month or so.  I do not know what
bug fixes are included, except for the following:
   The "restore" command in AIX 1.2 can fail in some circumstances.  The
   one I encountered shows up when you take a "-x" backup under 1.1, and
   then try to restore a directory and its files under 1.2 (using "-d").
   It restores the directory, but none of the files within the directory.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."

jsalter@slo.uucp (James Salter) (06/28/90)

In article <9006270009.AA14366@mindcrf.mindcraft.com> karish@mindcrf.UUCP writes:
>In article <18418@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
>(John F. Haugh II) writes:
>>In article <4432@milton.u.washington.edu> eliot@milton.u.washington.edu
>(Eliot Lim) writes:
>There's actually an apparently-supported procedure to do this,
>documented in the release notes I got with 9013S.  The sequence is
>  cd /
>  mkszfile
>  mksysb <tape device>
>  Boot the second system from diskettes, and install from the tape
>  just made.

The proper procedure for this is to type (as root):

	smit startup

which will give you a smit menu with a backup option.  This options allows
backing up of the relevant information for cloning the current system
configuration.

>Failure to heed these warnings may result in the generation of a very
>confused ODM database.  If all your systems are the same, though, and
>each has a big disk, it's easy and safe.

Do NOT copy ODM databases across machines.  Because the ODM uses physical
ID values of disks for some things, there may be problems if you attempt to
use one machine's ODM databases (/etc/objrepos/Cu*) on a different machine.

>	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427    VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: ibmsupt!jsalter@uunet.uu.net         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
  "Life can be modelled as a hidden Markov process with infinite states and
   no a-priori knowledge of the probability density functions." - dakramer

scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (06/28/90)

In article <4699@darkstar.ucsc.edu> bobeson@saturn.ucsc.edu (Robert Ellefson) writes:
>Even with AIX370 and TCF, a non-trivial number of disk swaps are
>required to install a dependant site.  My SE tells me that no tape
>distribution is available, which blows my mind as I stare at the
>80 floppy disks in the full installation suite for my primary site.

Well I suspose that you can call 6 a nontrivial number, (boot, boot2, initalize,
boot, boot2, install).  It's too bad that the kernel doesn't fit on a 1.44
meg disk (along with the rather large, but handy boot).

<scw>
-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (213)-825-8614
UUCP: ...!{ibmsupt,hao!cepu}!ollie}!scw  Internet:scw@SEAS.UCLA.EDU

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (06/29/90)

In article <4699@darkstar.ucsc.edu> bobeson@saturn.ucsc.edu (Robert Ellefson) writes:
>Even with AIX370 and TCF, a non-trivial number of disk swaps are
>required to install a dependant site.  My SE tells me that no tape
>distribution is available, which blows my mind as I stare at the
>80 floppy disks in the full installation suite for my primary site.

I don't know, I don't consider 3 diskettes each inserted twice (as pointed
out by Steve from UCLA in another posting) to be a very big deal. I would
tend to agree that its really too bad that no cartridge tape distribution
is available, especially since we had such media in use during the develop-
ment phase here at LCC. This was probably a production issue within IBM.
In IBM's defense, however, I would point out that none of the 386 Unix
vendors offer cartridge-based distribution that I am aware of. I am facing
nearly as many disks as you in the ISC 2.2 upgrade for turnkey that I
just received. Oh well :-{.

Disclaimer: As always, MHO, not LCC's or IBM's.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

J.Crowcroft@ucl-cs.UUCP (07/02/90)

From: J.Crowcroft@uk.ac.ucl.cs

 >Even with AIX370 and TCF, a non-trivial number of disk swaps are
 >required to install a dependant site.  My SE tells me that no tape
 >distribution is available, which blows my mind as I stare at the
 >80 floppy disks in the full installation suite for my primary site.

we are looking at installing about 100 - is this all as horribly true
as it sounds :-(

 jon

lehtonen@cs.Helsinki.FI (Tapio Lehtonen) (07/04/90)

In article <1316@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:
>
>>I was wondering if there anyone out there who has the same problem.
>>We have to install AIX 1.2 on ~30 PS/2's and I was wondering if there
>>is any easy/efficient/time-saving way besides spending up to three
>>hours on one machine swapping disks?

>1. Install one machine (all disks, all updates, all products).
>2. Boot from the maintennance disk, and take a "minidisk"
>   backup of /<local>, and root minidisks (each to a separate tape).

Exacly how is this standalone backup done from the boot/maintenance
disks? I try to choose standalone backup from the menu, but after asking
umpteen questions it responds with CAN'T OPEN /DEV/RMT0. I think I have
the correct values for tape length and density, at least the local IBM
AIX expert wrote them down for my distributor to give to me.

I am right now running AIX PS/2 1.2, this standalone backup to tape did
work on 1.1. And it works to disk even now, just this tape can't be
opened.

--
Tapio Lehtonen                        PHONE + 358 0 7084206
Dept. Comp. Sci., Univ. of Helsinki   TELEX 122785 TSK SF  FAX 708 4441