[comp.unix.aix] A couple of hardware questions about the 6000

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (05/27/90)

Ok I know this isn't the newsgroup for these questions but it
really does seem better than any of the RT groups so here goes.

We have a RS-6000/320 which we have had running solid for over two weeks
with about five programmers using it daily on ASCII screens. Thursday night
it suddnely crashed with an out of process message. Since someone was
starting up a 40 user benchmark at the time we assumed that that was the
problem. Then Friday morning the machine went into interactive boot mode
finally we decided that the problem must be the new phone system that was
installed on Thursday. The phone system was about two feet from the 320.
We moved the 320 and it has been up for 2.5 days now no problem. Since we
also have a Convergent Mighty Frame about the same distance from the phone
system and have had no problems with it I'm wondering if these new boxes
are prone to EMI.

Second question is has anyone out there had luck in putting third party scsi
devices on a 6000. We are especially interested in putting on a 60 Mbyte
cartridge tape unit ( for distribution of software to other machines) but
any experiences in attaching third party scsi devices would be appreciated.

Is there any way to change some of the kernel paramaters like maxproc
on version 3.??? of AIX ????

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (05/27/90)

In article <1990May27.053453.23166@edm.uucp> geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>Is there any way to change some of the kernel paramaters like maxproc
>on version 3.??? of AIX ????

Paging space is the only limiting factor on maximum number of processes.
I believe there are 128K process slots in the process table.

As for the other "tunable" parameters, most of those are either very
large [ and pagable ], or nonexistent.

One last item - when posting about problems you are having, =always=
post the pre-release build level you are using.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

                                            Proud Pilot of RS/6000 Serial #1472

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (05/28/90)

From article <18345@rpp386.cactus.org>, by jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II):
-> In article <1990May27.053453.23166@edm.uucp> geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
->>Is there any way to change some of the kernel paramaters like maxproc
->>on version 3.??? of AIX ????
->
-> Paging space is the only limiting factor on maximum number of processes.
-> I believe there are 128K process slots in the process table.

	Yes you are correct in saying that the number of process slots is
large (it is 131071 on my present load 9005K). But what concerns me is the
value of maxproc being 40. This number was obtained from the var command
within crash. Does this not mean that any user (other than root of course)
is limited to 40 processes at once?
	Note I am not posting this as a bug because for reasons beyond my
control I am unable to upgrade to 9013., but there appears no way to change
this number from within SMIT or any other root. Some "tunables are still in
use such as ulimit which you change through /etc/security/limits but there
is no obvious way to change maxproc there.

	Also if anyone has sucessfuly got a bidirectional modem line working
on a 6000 could they please post this or drop me a e-mail note.

Thanks

->
-> --
-> John F. Haugh II                             UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
->

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems
Edmonton, Alberta

"If these are in fact opinions then they must be mine"

luis@mavrick.UUCP (luis basto) (05/28/90)

> 	Yes you are correct in saying that the number of process slots is
> large (it is 131071 on my present load 9005K). But what concerns me is the
> value of maxproc being 40. This number was obtained from the var command
> within crash. Does this not mean that any user (other than root of course)
> is limited to 40 processes at once?
> 	Note I am not posting this as a bug because for reasons beyond my
> control I am unable to upgrade to 9013., but there appears no way to change
> this number from within SMIT or any other root. Some "tunables are still in

You can change maxproc by typing:

	chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=xxx

where xxx is the number of processes you want to change to. This works on
9013S and above but I'm not sure if it'll work on 9005K.
--
Luis Basto
Work: (512) 823-2896

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (05/28/90)

In article <1990May28.035037.29446@edm.uucp>, geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
< 	Yes you are correct in saying that the number of process slots is
< large (it is 131071 on my present load 9005K). But what concerns me is the
< value of maxproc being 40. This number was obtained from the var command
< within crash. Does this not mean that any user (other than root of course)
< is limited to 40 processes at once?

Uh, isn't this the type of question you can answer for yourself in five
or ten minutes?  Why don't you check it out and tell us what you find.

--
A. Lester Buck     buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck

RAH@IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") (07/12/90)

  geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:

  >         Yes you are correct in saying that the number of process slots is
  > large (it is 131071 on my present load 9005K). But what concerns me is the
  > value of maxproc being 40. This number was obtained from the var command
  > within crash. Does this not mean that any user (other than root of course)
  > is limited to 40 processes at once?
  Yes, this is the default limitation.  However, it can be changed.  As root,
  use the command:
      chdev -l sys0 -a maxproc=##         <== where ## is the number of
                                              procs you want per user
  Use the command:
      lsattr -l sys0 -E
  to see all the attributes of sys0 and to check your change.

 Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM
 rah@ibm.com