[comp.unix.aix] AIX PS/2 Requirements

chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) (06/04/90)

What would be minimal hardware requires to run AIX PS/2 1.2, i.e. amount
of RAM, amount of hard disk space?  If one runs with 60 megabytes, which
I understand to be possible, how squeezed is one?

jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (06/05/90)

In article <40540006@acf4.NYU.EDU> chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) writes:
>What would be minimal hardware requires to run AIX PS/2 1.2, i.e. amount
>of RAM, amount of hard disk space?  If one runs with 60 megabytes, which
>I understand to be possible, how squeezed is one?

Minimum 4 Meg, and this is not like some quoted minimum's I've seen where you
try it with 2Meg and it works, this means with 2 Meg the installation system
won't work!!

As far as disk space, I am not sure if there is a documented minimum (don't
have the manuals handy), but if you are planning to run standalone (meaning
non-TCF) you better plan to have more than 60! Oh, I imagine you could
actually make a bootable system with only that much, but then what would
you do with it?? Even 70 is gonna be tight. I would say dual 70's is the
bottom end of usability and if you have a model 70 you better have the
120 Meg drive.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not LCC or IBM.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

RAH@IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") (07/12/90)

  chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) writes:

  > What would be minimal hardware requires to run AIX PS/2 1.2, i.e. amount
  > of RAM, amount of hard disk space?  If one runs with 60 megabytes, which
  > I understand to be possible, how squeezed is one?
  The minimum space supported with AIX PS/2 is 44MB of disk space and 3 MB
  of memory.  However, be aware that installing additional applications will
  increase your disk and memory requirements.  For more information, you may
  want to obtain IBM's announcement #290-186 from your local IBM rep.  Under
  the "Machine Requirements" heading is a long list of requirements for
  different applications.

 Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM
 rah@ibm.com