[comp.unix.aix] Does AIX support SLIP?

marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) (06/05/90)

I'm having trouble tracking down this information through normal channels.
Can anyone tell me if Serial Line IP is supported / available for the RISC
6000 machines?  Thank You.

--
UUCP :	... ! {apple,ucdavis} ! umt ! marsh
OTHER:		umt!marsh@apple.com

wlm@khand.uucp (William L. Moran Jr.) (06/06/90)

In article <847@umt.UUCP> marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) writes:
>I'm having trouble tracking down this information through normal channels.
>Can anyone tell me if Serial Line IP is supported / available for the RISC
>6000 machines?  Thank You.

It is supplied as /etc/slattach (the support is supposed to be in the
kernel too). I have been told it works, but I haven't seen it work with
my own eyes, and I haven't had time to test it myself.

Bill Moran

Disclaimer: I don't speak for IBM.

--
arpa: moran-william@cs.yale.edu or wlm@ibm.com
uucp: uunet!bywater!acheron!khand!wlm or decvax!yale!moran-william

RAH@IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") (07/12/90)

  marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) writes:

  > I'm having trouble tracking down this information through normal channels.
  > Can anyone tell me if Serial Line IP is supported / available for the RISC
  > 6000 machines?  Thank You.

  Yes, the TCP/IP support included within AIX V3 (for the RISC System/6000)
  includes SLIP.

 Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM
 rah@ibm.com

querubin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Antonio Querubin) (07/13/90)

In article <071290.103050.heise1@ibm.com> RAH@IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") writes:

>  Yes, the TCP/IP support included within AIX V3 (for the RISC System/6000)
>  includes SLIP.

We just received TCP/IP for AIX PS/2 version 1.1 and it doesn't seem to
support SLIP from a quick scan of the manual.  Will SLIP be implemented with
version 1.2 and when will it be available?

Antonio Querubin, Jr.
Internet:  antonio_querubin-manoa@uhplato.uhcc.hawaii.edu
BITnet:  antonio_querubin-manoa@uhplato