[comp.unix.aix] restore broken in 1.2?

stancil@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Glen Stancil) (06/27/90)

Yes, I have experienced this too.  I looked in IBM's databases and
couldn't see that anyone else had had the problem, however.  I got
around it by restoring the Table of Contents of the tape to a file
and then using the file as input to the restore command.

     restore -T > /tmp/TOC
     cat /tmp/TOC | restore -xvf /dev/<backupdev>  (either rfd0 or rmt0)

Hope this works for you.

Andy Webb - currently -> stancil@doc.cc.utexas.edu
I speak not for "VOZ" (rot13'd for security!)
"Help, I'm being repressed - witness the violence inherrent in the system..."

RAH@IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") (07/17/90)

 kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

 > "restore" appears to behave differently than documented with AIX 1.2.
 > The doc states that the "-d" option ...
 >    Indicates that if <file> is a directory, all files in that directory
 >    should be restored.
 >
 > When I did a backup (with 1.1), I piped "find ./ -print" into "backup -x".
 > I now attempt to restore (with 1.2) using
 >     restore -xdv -f /dev/rmt0 ./dirname
 > and all that gets restored is "dirname" (i.e. the directory, and not its
 > files).  Has anyone else observed this behavior?  Is it incorrect?
 Yes, this behavior is incorrect and is a known problem.  To resolve the
 problem, you may wish to contact IBM defect support at (800) 237-5511
 to get the latest AIX PS/2 updates.

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM