[comp.unix.aix] Info Explorer on RS/6000

steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber) (07/17/90)

>from: steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber)

Both RS/6000's at work are running on identical operating systems and
hardware platforms.  We are using VT100, Altos3, MT-15, and ANSI
terminals.  So far we have been unable to get InfoExplorer to work on
any of these terminals.  Info sends the screen writes but it all looks
like so much garbage.  We borrowed an IBM3151 for a few weeks and Info
worked 'flawlessly'.  Since we are told to consult Info Explorer to fix
the problem we're up against a brick wall.  If anyone has Info working
on non-IBM and/or non-X terminals any information would be appreciated.

We are also having trouble with RM Cobol in regards to screen writes.
Any information on patches so that RM Cobol works correctly with
terminals would also be appreciated.

Have anyone compiled rz/sz on the RS/6000, yet?  If so, a diff or what
you did would be appreciated.

Until we can access the online documentation we are at a loss.  It's a
shame that this Info Explorer tool does not work on non-IBM and non-X
terminals.  Those of us that are ANSI and ASCII terminal bound can
hardly use the machine.....

[The above opinions are not necessarily those of my employer and fellow
workers.  They are mine.  Human operator error is quite possible.]

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (07/19/90)

Article <1990Jul17.164329.25970@m2xenix.psg.com> by steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber) says:
|So far we have been unable to get InfoExplorer to work on any of these
|[non-IBM ASCII] terminals.  Info sends the screen writes but it all looks
|like so much garbage.
I guess you are running prerelease (i.e. pre 9021) of AIX 3.1.  On 9021,
info runs perfectly on vt100, vt220 without any special setup done.
--
Bjorn Engsig,	Domain:		bengsig@oracle.nl, bengsig@oracle.com
		Path:		uunet!mcsun!orcenl!bengsig

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (07/20/90)

steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber) writes:

>>from: steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber)

>Both RS/6000's at work are running on identical operating systems and
>hardware platforms.  We are using VT100, Altos3, MT-15, and ANSI
>terminals.  So far we have been unable to get InfoExplorer to work on
>any of these terminals.  Info sends the screen writes but it all looks
>like so much garbage.  We borrowed an IBM3151 for a few weeks and Info
>worked 'flawlessly'.  Since we are told to consult Info Explorer to fix
>the problem we're up against a brick wall.  If anyone has Info working
>on non-IBM and/or non-X terminals any information would be appreciated.

I just ran Kermit in VT100 emulation mode and dialed-up my 6000.  "info"
runs correctly.  The only anomaly I observe is that my kermit does not
do vt100 line-mode graphics, so my boxes are made from x's and q's instead
of vertical and horizontal lines.  Info tells me that it is version "1.1.0".
We are running on the "golden" code for AIX 3 (i.e. the Generally Available
O/S).
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."

RAH@IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") (07/23/90)

 steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber) writes:

 > Both RS/6000's at work are running on identical operating systems and
 > hardware platforms.  We are using VT100, Altos3, MT-15, and ANSI
 > terminals.  So far we have been unable to get InfoExplorer to work on
 > any of these terminals.  Info sends the screen writes but it all looks
 > like so much garbage.  We borrowed an IBM3151 for a few weeks and Info
 > worked 'flawlessly'.  Since we are told to consult Info Explorer to fix
 > the problem we're up against a brick wall.  If anyone has Info working
 > on non-IBM and/or non-X terminals any information would be appreciated.
 Perhaps you have not set the TERM variable *and* exported it for info to
 read.  To use info, I do the following:
     - log into the RISC/6000
     - set my TERM variable and export it with:
          TERM=vt100;export TERM
     - use info
 I have had no trouble using VT-100 terminals and VT-100 terminal
 emulators with info.

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM