[comp.unix.aix] IBM X-Windows for PC == Locus pcXsight?

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (07/19/90)

The title says is all -- is IBM's X-Windows For PC oem'ed from Locus?
I'm trying to find out which 3Com card IBM's product supports, but
no at IBM appears to know.  If IBM is using Locus' software, then I
can probably assume that they both support the same network cards.
--
			    Jeff Wieland
			wieland@ecn.purdue.edu

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul19.145906.12342@ecn.purdue.edu> wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) writes:
>The title says is all -- is IBM's X-Windows For PC oem'ed from Locus?

The answer is yes. The only thing to keep in mind is that the version currently
being sold by IBM is not the latest and greatest version from Locus (there was
a Locus delta after the IBM version was fixed). However there is a merge of
the two streams being done I believe.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not LCC nor IBM.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

RAH@IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") (07/24/90)

 wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) writes:

 > The title says is all -- is IBM's X-Windows For PC oem'ed from Locus?
 > I'm trying to find out which 3Com card IBM's product supports, but
 > no at IBM appears to know.  If IBM is using Locus' software, then I
 > can probably assume that they both support the same network cards.

 Yes, X-Windows comes from Locus' Xsight product.  No, I would not assume
 equivalent support.
 Yes, X-Windows for DOS Users comes from Locus' Xsight product.  No, I
 would not assume equivalent support.  The supported adapters include:
   - Token Ring Adapter
   - Token Ring Adapter/A
   - Ungermann-Bass PC NIC 2274A
   - Ungermann-Bass NIC Model PS/2