[comp.unix.aix] AIX sendmail

jeffe@sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) (07/06/90)

In article <40900002@sunb5> voss@sunb5.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>** Eliot Lim
>I ported sendmail 5.61 with relative ease, and I'm definitely not a unix
>pro.  (It comes with sendmail 5.2)

I'm afraid you may have wasted your time, since I can assure you that the
sendmail shipped with AIX3 is indeed 5.61 (from BSD tahoe); having done the
port myself last summer, I agree that it was uneventful.

Of course, IBM has added functionality to its sendmail, included National
Language Support, etc.  More interesting, we added support for MB, MG, and
MR nameserver records, which may be fairly pathbreaking.

But I'm curious: what led you to believe that it was 5.2?
Peter Jeffe   ...uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!sandino.austin.ibm.com!jeffe

        first they want a disclaimer, then they make you pee in a jar,
		   then they come for you in the night

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (07/11/90)

In article <2671@awdprime.UUCP> jeffe@sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) writes:

   Of course, IBM has added functionality to its sendmail, included National
   Language Support, etc.  More interesting, we added support for MB, MG, and
   MR nameserver records, which may be fairly pathbreaking.

I'd be interested in hearing details of your MB, MG, and MR record
support, there's been some work done here at Michigan as well & it'd
be interesting to compare notes.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
(still running 'dumb' Sun sendmail)
(my mail just works)

eliot@milton.u.washington.edu (Eliot Lim) (07/14/90)

+
+I'm afraid you may have wasted your time, since I can assure you that the
+sendmail shipped with AIX3 is indeed 5.61 (from BSD tahoe); having done the
+port myself last summer, I agree that it was uneventful.
+
+Of course, IBM has added functionality to its sendmail, included National
+Language Support, etc.  More interesting, we added support for MB, MG, and
+MR nameserver records, which may be fairly pathbreaking.
+
+But I'm curious: what led you to believe that it was 5.2?

When I type mail to look at messages, it says "5.2 BSD".  I suppose I'm
mistaken.  More worrying, however, is that a standard campus wide
sendmail.cf file will not work with the shipped version of sendmail.
Using my vanilla ported sendmail works and that will be the one I'll be
using since I don't have the time to go and find out what's wrong.

Eliot

jeffe@sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) (07/24/90)

In article <5058@milton.u.washington.edu> eliot@milton.u.washington.edu (Eliot Lim) writes:
>+But I'm curious: what led you to believe that [AIX3's sendmail] was 5.2?
>
>When I type mail to look at messages, it says "5.2 BSD".  I suppose I'm
>mistaken.  More worrying, however, is that a standard campus wide
>sendmail.cf file will not work with the shipped version of sendmail.
>Using my vanilla ported sendmail works and that will be the one I'll be
>using since I don't have the time to go and find out what's wrong.

The id that is displayed using mail/mailx is mailx's version, not sendmail's.

AIX sendmail doesn't pretend to be plain-vanilla BSD; some of our programs
track very closely (such as mailx), while others such as sendmail diverge
where it's been decided to provide "enhancements".  This is reflected in
the .cf file, and I see no reason why a reasonably experienced mail
administrator would have more trouble configuring AIX sendmail than
another system's.  If you're doing something particular with the rewrite
rules, then you should be able to figure it out; otherwise, just configure
the options how you want.  The intent is to provide a config file that will
run the first time out under 95% of cases: it provides typical tcp, uucp,
and local mailers and rewrite rules.  And personally, I find it easier
to configure than messing with all the BSD m4 stuff.