[comp.unix.aix] AIX 3.0 lint -- how good?

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (07/25/90)

My company will soon (!) be getting an RS/6000 for development
purposes.  However, before it arrives, we'd like to know something
about the version of "lint" distributed with AIX 3.0.

Specifically: Does AIX 3.0 lint know about function prototypes, and
other ANSI inventions?  If not, we're probably going to *plonk* down
our money on Gimpel's FlexeLint.

adTHANKSvance for all info.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>

jsalter@slo.paloalto.ibm.com (07/26/90)

In article <26ADBAD0.5B74@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>Specifically: Does AIX 3.0 lint know about function prototypes, and
>other ANSI inventions?  If not, we're probably going to *plonk* down
>our money on Gimpel's FlexeLint.

According the InfoExplorer, lint on AIXv3.1 knows about function prototypes
and there are flags to allow you to either ignore or catch all occurances of
such things.

The flag you need is -MA (Enforces ANSI C Language standard).  Without it,
lint defaults into the extended C mode (which you can find out more about
in the C Language Reference Manual).

>adTHANKSvance for all info.
>--
>Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: ibmsupt!jsalter@uunet.uu.net         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
  "Life can be modelled as a hidden Markov process with infinite states and
   no a-priori knowledge of the probability density functions." - dakramer

drake@drake.almaden.ibm.com (07/27/90)

In article <26ADBAD0.5B74@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>              Does AIX 3.0 lint know about function prototypes, and
>other ANSI inventions?

Yes, it does know about function prototypes.  In addition, the supplied
C compiler is rather strict with typing, etc, so the need for lint is
somewhat less than on systems with pcc ports.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake@ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861