[comp.unix.aix] How to force booting from a floppy on RT after changing NVRAM?

karl@tobago.cgd.ucar.edu (Karl Sierka) (08/10/90)

I stupidly changed the NVRAM in my RT to boot from who-knows-what. How do
	I get the thing to boot from the diags diskette in the floppy
	drive? Upon power up, or <CTL><ALT><PAUSE>, some numbers flash on
	the LED, then it beeps and hangs with the LED readout saying 29.
	Any clues? Please email and I will summarize.
			Thanks,
				karl

--
Karl Sierka sierka@ncar.ucar.edu
1850 Table Mesa Drive, Boulder, CO 80301 (303)-497-1338

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan &) (08/10/90)

In article <8207@ncar.ucar.edu> karl@tobago.cgd.ucar.edu (Karl Sierka) writes:

Karl> I stupidly changed the NVRAM in my RT to boot from who-knows-what. How do
Karl> 	I get the thing to boot from the diags diskette in the floppy
Karl> 	drive? Upon power up, or <CTL><ALT><PAUSE>, some numbers flash on
Karl> 	the LED, then it beeps and hangs with the LED readout saying 29.
Karl> 	Any clues? Please email and I will summarize.

How about unplugging the battery back up and waiting an hour or so.  Then
rerun the maintenance diskette to initialize the NVRAM.

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

tif@doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain) (08/11/90)

>In article <8207@ncar.ucar.edu> karl@tobago.cgd.ucar.edu (Karl Sierka) writes:
>I stupidly changed the NVRAM in my RT to boot from who-knows-what. How do
>I get the thing to boot from the diags diskette in the floppy drive?

Man keyboard gives the following possibilities, I'm thinking that you
could use these after turning the machine on (even though it won't boot):

Ctrl-Alt-Home     ... If diskette #1 ... that virtual machine is IPLed.

... The system first checks diskette drive #1 for a valid IPL record, then
the second device, then each of the fixed disks.

Ctrl-Alt-A        ... Designates diskette drive #1 as the second device ...
Ctrl-Alt-B        ... Designates diskette drive #2 as the second device ...
Ctrl-Alt-C        ... Designates fixed-disk drive #1 as the second device ...
Ctrl-Alt-D        ... Designates fixed-disk drive #2 as the second device ...
Ctrl-Alt-E        ... Designates fixed-disk drive #3 as the second device ...

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM         tif@doorstop, sc30661@ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif

moody@moody.austin.ibm.com (08/11/90)

In article <8207@ncar.ucar.edu> karl@tobago.cgd.ucar.edu () writes:

>I stupidly changed the NVRAM in my RT to boot from who-knows-what. How do
>	I get the thing to boot from the diags diskette in the floppy
>	drive? Upon power up, or <CTL><ALT><PAUSE>, some numbers flash on
>	the LED, then it beeps and hangs with the LED readout saying 29.
>	Any clues? Please email and I will summarize.

You have managed to make your machine unusable.  I know how to get your
machine to boot from floppy but the procedure requires that you be able to
boot the VRM.  You aren't getting that far.  Your only recourse is to
disconnect the battery and re-install the VRM after letting NVRAM forget
about what you put there.  The battery is inside the front panel.  You
essentially have two problems.  One is that NVRAM won't let you boot from
diskette, and the other is that you aren't getting anything booted from the
hard disk either.  Yuk.

I would have emailed but I consider myself to be an authority on
this question.

--
James Moody				aesnet:moody@moody.austin.ibm.com
Advanced Workstations Division		vnet: MOODY at AUSVMQ