[comp.unix.aix] 3Com support on PS/2 AIX 1.2

sda@edc.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) (08/08/90)

Help!!

I've been trying for days to get AIX to talk to our 3Com card. It worked
under AIX 1.1 with a special driver recieved from IBM but not under 1.2.
I followed the procedure in /usr/nifl/3com. Which simply tells you to do
a make install.  The make runs without errors but ifconfig/netconfig still
reports "No such interface".  I noticed that make install does not actually
install the new kernel so I did a newkernel -install. Strangely the size of
the kernel in <LOCAL>/ hasn't changed.

Has anyone else gotten this to work?

Thanks in advance!
--
Stephen Ayers
Atex European Development Centre, A Kodak Company

muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) (08/10/90)

sda@edc.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) writes:

>Help!!
>Has anyone else gotten this to work?

With us, the new kernel was not put in the right place either. It will be
left in /tmp/sysgen386.somewhat??. Just look for it and copy to /local/unix.std

By the way, did you use ifconfig en0 instead of inconfig net0?

--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         nmutsaer@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl

sda@edc.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) (08/10/90)

  In article <1403@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl> muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) writes:
  >sda@edc.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) writes:
  >
  >>Help!!
  >>Has anyone else gotten this to work?
  >
  >With us, the new kernel was not put in the right place either. It will be
  >left in /tmp/sysgen386.somewhat??. Just look for it and copy to /local/unix.std
  >
  >By the way, did you use ifconfig en0 instead of inconfig net0?
  >
  >--
  >Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl

You are correct, the makefile does not install the new kernel
(newkernel -install). Unfortunately the system still does not recognize
the card. (including en0).

The IBM (UK) AIX support centre has informed me that the driver is broken
(bug #IX08666) and has a fix #U401091. This fix has been included in the
latest updates (10056?).

--

dlt@lando.la.locus.com (Dan Taylor) (08/15/90)

>I've been trying for days to get AIX to talk to our 3Com card. It worked
>under AIX 1.1 with a special driver recieved from IBM but not under 1.2.
>Stephen Ayers
>Atex European Development Centre, A Kodak Company
>sda@epps.kodak.com | {sun,uunet,kodak}!atexnet!sda  | ..!uknet!edc!sda
>+44 506 41 6778

Get the latest update from IBM.  Should work O.K.

* Dan Taylor    * The opinions expressed are my own, and in no way *
* dlt@locus.com * reflect those of Locus Computing Corporation.    *

sda@edc.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) (08/15/90)

  In article <15311@oolong.la.locus.com> dlt@lando.la.locus.com (Dan Taylor) writes:
  >>I've been trying for days to get AIX to talk to our 3Com card. It worked
  >>under AIX 1.1 with a special driver recieved from IBM but not under 1.2.
  >>Stephen Ayers
  >>Atex European Development Centre, A Kodak Company
  >
  >Get the latest update from IBM.  Should work O.K.
  >
  >* Dan Taylor    * The opinions expressed are my own, and in no way *
  >* dlt@locus.com * reflect those of Locus Computing Corporation.    *

I just recieved the latest and greatest updates from IBM.  19 floppies most
of which have to be inserted 3 or 4 times.  After all that ifconfig still
responds with "no such interface"

Does anyone out there have 3Com cards working under AIX 1.2???

Thanks again