[comp.unix.aix] SLIP for AIX

querubin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Antonio Querubin) (07/25/90)

Anyone know where I might be able to find SLIP to run under AIX?  And if it
can coexist with IBM's TCP/IP package - all the better.

Antonio Querubin, Jr.
antonio_querubin-manoa@uhplato.uhcc.hawaii.edu
antonio_querubin-manoa@uhplato (BITNET)

robin@sabre.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (07/25/90)

In article <8714@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> querubin@uhccux.UUCP (Antonio Querubin) writes:
>Anyone know where I might be able to find SLIP to run under AIX?  And if it
>can coexist with IBM's TCP/IP package - all the better.

In AIX v2.2.1 on the RT, and in AIX v3.1 on the RS/6000 line, SLIP is already
there.  I believe it is "in there" on the v1.1 and v1.2 PS/2 version as well.
And I guess that means that it "coexists" with IBMs TCP/IP package.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin             |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-4526                       |

kent@opus.austin.ibm.com (Kent Malave') (07/25/90)

	SLIP is available on the RISC System/6000 running AIX v3.1 and
	also on the RT as well.  I also know that SLIP operates well between
	these two systems.  I hope this helps!
							Kent Malave'
	...uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!opus.austin.ibm.com!kent
Disclaimer: This is no one's option. (Not even mine!)

drake@DRAKE.ALMADEN.IBM.COM (07/26/90)

querubin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Antonio Querubin) writes:
|> Anyone know where I might be able to find SLIP to run under AIX?  And if it
|> can coexist with IBM's TCP/IP package - all the better.

Which AIX?  AIX/RT 2.2.1 and AIX Version 3 on the RISC System/6000 have
it included
in the system; I don't know for sure about AIX PS/2.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center

querubin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Antonio Querubin) (07/28/90)

In article <1851@ks.UUCP> drake@DRAKE.ALMADEN.IBM.COM () writes:
>>querubin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Antonio Querubin) writes:
>|> Anyone know where I might be able to find SLIP to run under AIX?  And if it
>|> can coexist with IBM's TCP/IP package - all the better.
>
>Which AIX?  AIX/RT 2.2.1 and AIX Version 3 on the RISC System/6000 have
>it included
>in the system; I don't know for sure about AIX PS/2.

I was asking for AIX PS/2, sorry about the ambiguity.  Version 1.1 of IBM's
TCP/IP package for the AIX PS/2 didn't have SLIP.  We just received version
1.2 of the same package yesterday, and it also doesn't have SLIP support.

Incidentally we received DOS Merge version 1.2 yesterday also but the manual
has version 1.1 stamped on it and it matches the version 1.1 manual.  Anyone
know if the packing people goofed or did IBM decide to leave the manual
unchanged?

querubin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

RAH@IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") (08/16/90)

 querubin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Antonio Querubin) writes:

 > Anyone know where I might be able to find SLIP to run under AIX?  And if it
 > can coexist with IBM's TCP/IP package - all the better.

 You don't specify which version/platform of AIX you are using.  However,
 the TCP/IP support in AIX on the PS/2, the RT, and the RISC System/6000
 all include support for SLIP.  On the RS/6000, search 'info' with the
 words "serial" and "line".  This will lead you to a complete guide to
 configuring SLIP.

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM