[comp.unix.aix] Sendmail problems on RS/6000

proot@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) (08/12/90)

I am evaluating an RS/6000 and am getting really sick of the bogus bounced
mail messages I get whenever mail is received.

The machine is hooked to a network of Suns and is running yp as a client.
When uucp mail is received it gets upset that there is no @ in the path.
As its been a long while since I've gotten elbow deep into sendmail.cf,
I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else had fixed this problem.

I basically like the machine a lot. But the little things like this and
the ypbind/inetd problem really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Paul.

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug12.031309.15691@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> proot@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) writes:
[ ...disgruntled over mail problems...]

>When uucp mail is received it gets upset that there is no @ in the path.
                               ^^^^^^^^^^
Your technical report of the problem :-} makes it difficult to know how
to help you!

>As its been a long while since I've gotten elbow deep into sendmail.cf,
>I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else had fixed this problem.

I don't know much about 3.1's sendmail, other than that its still based
on the older AIX code with MX support put in (browsed through the code
at some point). However, I don't believe that its anything but a cf
configuration problem. But before anyone can do much we would need to
see copies of the bounced headers, and perhaps a copy of your cf file.
We at Locus do not do 6000 support, but if you can't get some help
out of the official support channels I try and keep IBM customers
happy so send me some email and I'll see what I can do, fair enough?

Cheers!

Disclaimer: I am just a lowly programmer, I don't speak for LCC or IBM,
	    but then, I get to have all the fun :-}!

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

jeffe@sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug12.031309.15691@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> proot@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) writes:
>I am evaluating an RS/6000 and am getting really sick of the bogus bounced
>mail messages I get whenever mail is received.

What is bogus about them?  sendmail bounces mail with the standard returned
mail message, including a transcript section indicating what went wrong
(which would have helped us resolve this problem if you had bothered to
post it).

>The machine is hooked to a network of Suns and is running yp as a client.
>When uucp mail is received it gets upset that there is no @ in the path.

Unless you've hacked with the sendmail.cf file, this is unlikely.  When
uucp mail arrives, uucico hands it off to /bin/rmail, which hands it to
sendmail.  If the mail is destined for a local user, it had better *not*
have an '@' in it (unless the hostname is the local one); if it is destined
for another uucp node, then it had better have a '!' (or .UUCP) in it: in
this case, sendmail will hand it back to uux for further processing.

>I basically like the machine a lot. But the little things like this and
>the ypbind/inetd problem really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I think that if you would provide us with some real information about your
problem, you'd find that it's probably a simple configuration issue.

As for the ypbind/inetd bug, it was straight from BSD4.3 tahoe, and has
probably been in inetd since it was written.  Apparently other machines
are more lenient about letting you step around memory without causing
segmentation violations, which is why it hasn't yet been fixed in the
Berkeley code.  I should think you would be impressed that IBM developers
were able to fix this bug within 48 hours of its being reported, after it's
been hanging around in BSD code since the epoch :-)

Peter Jeffe   ...uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!sandino.austin.ibm.com!jeffe
        first they want a disclaimer, then they make you pee in a jar,
                   then they come for you in the night

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (08/14/90)

From article <1990Aug12.223057.18818@turnkey.tcc.com>, by jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel):
> In article <1990Aug12.031309.15691@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> proot@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) writes:
> [ ...disgruntled over mail problems...]
>
>>When uucp mail is received it gets upset that there is no @ in the path.
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^
> Your technical report of the problem :-} makes it difficult to know how
> to help you!
>
>>As its been a long while since I've gotten elbow deep into sendmail.cf,
>>I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else had fixed this problem.

	I to saw the same problem when I first installed the OS in our
6000. The message is a no @ in the SMTP address error. Seeing as the path
given to mail was machine!user I didn't expect to see an @. I played around
with the cf file with no luck so I took the easy way out and put smail 3.1
on the box.

	Right now I'm wary of anything that uses UUCP. I came across a
problem today with uux. On our System V (actualy CTIX 6) we do remote
prinitng by putting the line

uux -c machine!lp !$file

in the interface file in place of the usual cat $file line.

When sending files to the 6000 for this it returns a message to uucp account
that the spooler can't find /usr/spool/uucp/.Xqtdir/<filename>. Any ideas on
this one. As well in there documentation they say that

uux -C machine!command file operates on file on the local machine. Does it
not need a ! in front to tell it it's on the local machine?????

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

p.s. the solution to my first problem was to have uux takes it input from stdin

ie. cat $file | uux -c - machine!lp

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (08/17/90)

In article <1990Aug14.044632.13957@edm.uucp> geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>From article <1990Aug12.223057.18818@turnkey.tcc.com>, by jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel):
>> In article <1990Aug12.031309.15691@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> proot@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) writes:
>>>When uucp mail is received it gets upset that there is no @ in the path.

>	I to saw the same problem when I first installed the OS in our
>6000. The message is a no @ in the SMTP address error. Seeing as the path
>given to mail was machine!user I didn't expect to see an @. I played around
>with the cf file with no luck so I took the easy way out and put smail 3.1
>on the box.

Paul and I have subsequently exchanged email over this problem. The real
problem is that somehow a normal uucp style address is resolving to the
tcp mailer. SMTP has every right to complain about a uucp style address.
What I couldn't determine with what Paul gave me was why these addresses
were getting sent to the tcp mailer, but careful tracing through the
rulesets should show that.  I am still convinced its just a configuration
problem, not a broken sendmail.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for LCC or IBM.

--

karish@mindcrf.UUCP (Chuck Karish) (08/17/90)

(Geoff Coleman) writes:
>> In article <1990Aug12.031309.15691@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>
proot@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) writes:
>>>When uucp mail is received it gets upset that there is no @ in the path.
>
>	I to saw the same problem when I first installed the OS in our
>6000. The message is a no @ in the SMTP address error. Seeing as the path
>given to mail was machine!user I didn't expect to see an @. I played around
>with the cf file with no luck so I took the easy way out and put smail 3.1
>on the box.

    I saw this message when I used bang paths on a machine that had
    no actual UUCP connections, but was supposed to forward mail
    to a `smart host' that has UUCP links.  It complained about
    outgoing mail; I never saw the problem on incoming, but I never
    tried to provoke it.  Using 'user@host.uucp' did the trick;
    a simple rewriting rule in sendmail.cf could have done it for me.

>	Right now I'm wary of anything that uses UUCP. I came across a
>problem today with uux. On our System V (actualy CTIX 6) we do remote
>prinitng by putting the line
>
>uux -c machine!lp !$file
>
>in the interface file in place of the usual cat $file line.
>
>When sending files to the 6000 for this it returns a message to uucp account
>that the spooler can't find /usr/spool/uucp/.Xqtdir/<filename>. Any ideas on
>this one. As well in there documentation they say that

    The file is probably owned by uucp and denies read/write access to
    group and others, including the `daemon' or `lpd' user and the
    `printq' group.  If the file exists at all; if the command below is
    an example of what you're trying to do, I'm not sure it should
    exist.

>uux -C machine!command file operates on file on the local machine. Does it
>not need a ! in front to tell it it's on the local machine?????

    If you use uux, the machine is really going to try to do a uucp
    transfer.  Unless your machine has a line with its own name
    in its Systems file, telling it how to call itself, nothing
    you put on the command line should cause uux to execute a local
    command.

    The -C flag is documented to cause the file named on the command
    line to be copied to the public spool directory on the local
    machine when the command request is spooled for later execution.
    It has nothing to do with executing commands on the local host.
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

jeffe@sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) (08/18/90)

In article <1990Aug14.044632.13957@edm.uucp> geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
> [ Paul Root's problems with uucp mail ]
>	I to saw the same problem when I first installed the OS in our
>6000. The message is a no @ in the SMTP address error. Seeing as the path
>given to mail was machine!user I didn't expect to see an @. I played around
>with the cf file with no luck so I took the easy way out and put smail 3.1
>on the box.

OK, to clear this mess up, the AIX 3.1 sendmail definitely has a
problem dealing with non-domain addresses in special cases.  If either
a sender or recipient address doesn't have a '@' in it, but ruleset 0
resolves it to the tcp mailer, then sendmail complains with a "No '@'
found in SMTP recipient" error.  This should only happen if you are
routing uucp (or local) mail through an smtp host, e.g. if you have
defined the U macro.  Otherwise, it handles uucp and other mail just
fine.

This problem will be fixed in the September update.

>	Right now I'm wary of anything that uses UUCP. I came across a
>problem today with uux. On our System V (actualy CTIX 6) we do remote
>prinitng by putting the line
>
>uux -c machine!lp !$file
>When sending files to the 6000 for this it returns a message to uucp account
>that the spooler can't find /usr/spool/uucp/.Xqtdir/<filename>.

This sounds like a uucp problem that will be fixed in the September
update, but the way to find out is to report it to IBM.  In both these
cases, if you would call the problem in to IBM service, then they will
open a record on it, and customer problems get the *highest* priority
for resolution around here.  If anyone has had any frustrations with
this process, or has any reasons why they choose not to report
problems, please let me know and I'll try to apply heat to the proper
areas.

Basically, reporting a problem ensures that: 1) it gets immediate
atttention (if I didn't read this group, the sendmail bug wouldn't have
gotten into the Sept. update); 2) it doesn't fall through the cracks;
3) and MOST IMPORTANT, you can get immediate fixes if you need them bad
enough.

I can't think of any reason to go through all the frustrations of
dealing with broken software when one phone call could get you up and
running within days.

jeffe@sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) (08/22/90)

In article <9008170856.AA12741@mindcrf.mindcraft.com> karish@mindcrf.UUCP (Chuck Karish) writes:
>>	I to saw the same problem when I first installed the OS in our
>>6000. The message is a no @ in the SMTP address error. Seeing as the path
>>given to mail was machine!user I didn't expect to see an @. I played around
>>with the cf file with no luck so I took the easy way out and put smail 3.1
>>on the box.
>
>    I saw this message when I used bang paths on a machine that had
>    no actual UUCP connections, but was supposed to forward mail
>    to a `smart host' that has UUCP links.  It complained about
>    outgoing mail; I never saw the problem on incoming, but I never
>    tried to provoke it.  Using 'user@host.uucp' did the trick;
>    a simple rewriting rule in sendmail.cf could have done it for me.

Sorry for not posting a work-around when I first described the problem.
Since sendmail is looking for an '@' in any recipients that use the tcp
mailer (this is the bug), you can fool it by adding a source route in
ruleset 0 where the uucp relay is handled.  This is the diff to sendmail.cf:

171c171
< #DUHostWithModems
---
> DUlopnor
1024c1024
---
                                        ^^^^^^

Where the "<@$U:>" source route satisfies the check for the '@', while the
uucp relay host ($U) should recognize it as itself and just strip it.

Please let me know if there are other problems that this doesn't fix.
As I said before, the bug will be fixed in the September update.