[comp.unix.aix] Problem with missing CR/LF's after updating to 90.22

skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu (Gary M. Lin) (08/21/90)

	Our system administrator recently upgraded the RS/6000
	with 90.22, which introduced a new problem: on login
	AIX doesn't print a carriage return at end of line.
	Everything else seems OK, and no one modified any of
	the system files relating to terminfo, etc.

	So my display looks like this:

	what
					mess!!

	Tweaking with stty does _not_ seem to fix it.  But I
	notice processes associated with pty's don't have this
	glitch.  Only login shells (on the console and the
	XStation) do this.  Really confused by all this!!

					Gary M. Lin
					(SC)3, Computer Engineering
					UC Santa Cruz

	!ucbvax!ucscc!ceres!skidrow
	skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu

erickson@sherlock.geog.ucsb.edu (Scott Erickson) (08/21/90)

skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu (Gary M. Lin) writes:

>	So my display looks like this:

>	what
>					mess!!

I've been able to fix this under an xterm by doing an

	stty disp bsd

(I know you said you tried stty with no luck.  It seems to work under
9021, for those of us who still have it.)

/se
University of California Santa Barbara | (805) 893-3712
Department of Geography                | erickson@sherlock.geog.ucsb.edu
Support Group                          |
--
Scott Erickson

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (08/21/90)

From article <skidrow.651193329@ceres>, by skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu (Gary M. Lin):

> 	Tweaking with stty does _not_ seem to fix it.  But I
> 	notice processes associated with pty's don't have this
> 	glitch.  Only login shells (on the console and the
> 	XStation) do this.  Really confused by all this!!
>
> 					Gary M. Lin

	My one bit of advice on this subject is to make sure that
you are not running tset on login (ie through profile or cshrc).
Some of our people had problems when we upgraded to 9021 and it
turned out they all had tset in their .profiles.
	Before removing tset from their .profiles stty sane would
fix the problem.

Geoff Coleman

p.s. this is another bug that I haven't reported yet through official
     channels .

sysdoc@boingo.med.jhu.edu (The Doctor) (08/21/90)

I had this problem as well. It seems that it was caused in my
case by a bug in tset. Tset was being run in my .login. I
simply removed its invocation when I am on the rs6000. Not
exactly a great fix, but it is better than the alternatives.

-Derek Ney

dcm@toysrus.uucp (dcm) (08/22/90)

In article <skidrow.651193329@ceres> skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu (Gary M. Lin) writes:

>	Our system administrator recently upgraded the RS/6000
>	with 90.22, which introduced a new problem: on login
>	AIX doesn't print a carriage return at end of line.
>
>	So my display looks like this:
>
>	what
>					mess!!
>
>	Tweaking with stty does _not_ seem to fix it.  But I
>
>					Gary M. Lin

Gary,

	Any chance that you're running tset when you login?

	Tset has been known to turn opost off (by accident) on AIXV3.
	If this is the problem "stty opost" or "stty sane" should
	restore the modes back to something pseudo-normal.

	"To be fixed in a future release." (being worked on even as
	I type)

		Craig Miller, IBM Austin
--------
	Craig Miller, contractor @ IBM AWD, Austin  (I don't speak for IBM)
	UUCP: ..!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!toysrus.austin.ibm.com!dcm

	"Just because it works doesn't means it's right, stupid!"
	"You should never install code you do not understand."
	"If you knowningly install broken code, you should be shot.  Period."
	"Programmers have to be accountable for their code."

dcm@toysrus.uucp (dcm) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug21.045002.1316@edm.uucp> geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>From article <skidrow.651193329@ceres>, by skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu (Gary M. Lin):
>Geoff Coleman
>
>p.s. this is another bug that I haven't reported yet through official
>     channels .

Geoff,

	The tset bug has already been reported from a customer (actually
	we're not sure it's a bug in tset yet - it's being investigated
	now), so it's already guaranteed "to be fixed in a future update".

	But, if you're not comfortable with this, report it again.

	We'll survive.  :-)

		Craig
--------