[comp.unix.aix] Creating a newsgroup for the 6000-series ?

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (08/22/90)

Our first RS/6000 machine has just arrived here, and I was wondering...

What do you folks think of creating a newsgroup dedicated to those
machines ?  There is considerable RS/6000 discussion here in this group,
but it seems to me that the machines deserve a group of their own, just like
most other popular machines.  However ....

    .... the machines have just barely started shipping. Should the
         creation of the newsgroup wait until the machines have become
         more common ?

    .... what should the group be called ?  Some possibilities are :

              comp.sys.ibm.6000
              comp.sys.ibm.r6000
              comp.sys.ibm.s6000
              comp.sys.ibm.rs6000
              comp.sys.ibm.risc6000
              comp.sys.ibm.rios

         as some people are VERY unhappy about .r6000 or .rs6000, naming
         the group .risc6000 is in my opinion the "safest" choice.

    .... should the group be moderated or not ?

This is just an informal survey - let me know what you think, and if the
response is generally positive and strong enough, I will post a formal
"CALL FOR DISCUSSION", to be followed by a "CALL FOR VOTES" later, according
to the guidelines.

-frisk
--
Fridrik Skulason      University of Iceland  |
Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)  |  Reserved for future expansion

hugo@spica.ucsc.edu (Hugo Calendar) (08/24/90)

In article <2085@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>    .... what should the group be called ?  Some possibilities are :
>
>              comp.sys.ibm.6000
>              comp.sys.ibm.r6000
>              comp.sys.ibm.s6000
>              comp.sys.ibm.rs6000
>              comp.sys.ibm.risc6000
>              comp.sys.ibm.rios
>
>         as some people are VERY unhappy about .r6000 or .rs6000, naming

What's wrong with .rs6000?  (ie. Why are some people unhappy about it?)

-Hugo

Hugo Calendar  ...!ucbvax!ucscc!spica!hugo   CompEng/Math Undergraduate
215 Weeks Avenue       hugo@spica.ucsc.edu   IBM RT AIX/Mach SysAdmin
Santa Cruz, CA 95060     hugo@ucscd.bitnet   Mac II ThinkC programmer
USA   (408) 425-5479

lzm@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Chris McCoy) (08/24/90)

In <6284@darkstar.ucsc.edu> hugo@spica.ucsc.edu (Hugo Calendar) writes:

>In article <2085@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>>    .... what should the group be called ?  Some possibilities are :
>>         as some people are VERY unhappy about .r6000 or .rs6000, naming

>What's wrong with .rs6000?  (ie. Why are some people unhappy about it?)

I've heard different stories from different people at IBM.  One story
has it that "rs" is a registered trademark of some product and therefore
all sales personnel have been instructed to refer to the product only
as the RISC/6000.  The other story has it that "rs" is Austrailia is the
equivalent of the American "BS" and therefore they should refer to the
product as the RISC/6000.

Anyone know the "real" story?

Chris McCoy                         : INTERNET:   mccoy@ecn.purdue.edu
Communication Systems Programmer    : UUCP:       ...!ecn-ee!mccoy
Ag. Computer Network, Purdue Univ.  : VOICE:      (317) 494-8339

au0005@dundee.austin.ibm.com (08/24/90)

In article <6284@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, hugo@spica.ucsc.edu (Hugo Calendar)
writes:
> From: hugo@spica.ucsc.edu (Hugo Calendar)
> Subject: Re: Creating a newsgroup for the 6000-series ?
> Date: 23 Aug 90 22:39:11 GMT
>
> In article <2085@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
> >    .... what should the group be called ?  Some possibilities are :
> >
> >              comp.sys.ibm.6000
> >              comp.sys.ibm.r6000
> >              comp.sys.ibm.s6000
> >              comp.sys.ibm.rs6000
> >              comp.sys.ibm.risc6000
> >              comp.sys.ibm.rios
> >
> >         as some people are VERY unhappy about .r6000 or .rs6000, naming
>
> What's wrong with .rs6000?  (ie. Why are some people unhappy about it?)
>
> -Hugo

I have it on extremely good authority ( as in I'm one of them ) that
down under in Australia the letters RS refer to a similar expression to
what Americans call 'BS', except the bull is replaced with a rat.

It is a quite derogatory comment. I.E, saying that 'that machine is RS' means
that it is quite probably unserviceable! Obviously not something that IBM would
want to promote. Hence, the name is officially "Risc System/6000". The term
rios is not used by IBM ( or shouldn't be! ).

So, give us Aussies a break, please don't call the newsgroup the
'*.*.ibm.rs6000', it makes a lot of us think of things that we shouldn't!
It's also easy to mistake somebody for flaming the box when they are
merely tring to type it's model number to the internet!

> Hugo Calendar  ...!ucbvax!ucscc!spica!hugo   CompEng/Math Undergraduate
> 215 Weeks Avenue       hugo@spica.ucsc.edu   IBM RT AIX/Mach SysAdmin
> Santa Cruz, CA 95060     hugo@ucscd.bitnet   Mac II ThinkC programmer
> USA   (408) 425-5479

Best Regards,

Peter May,

IBM Australia.
Sydney Support Center,
1-55 Rothschild Avenue,
Rosebery. NSW. 2018. Australia.

AWDNet: au0005@dundee.austin.ibm.com, peter@price.austin.ibm.com
Vnet  : AU0005 at AUSVMQ, PETERMAY at SYDVM1.
uucp  : ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!price.austin.ibm.com!peter
        ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!dundee.austin.ibm.com!croc

... An Aussie lost in Austin ...

#include <standard.disclaimer>

/* My comments and opinions above are my own: I do not represent IBM here. */

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (08/25/90)

In article <6284@darkstar.ucsc.edu> hugo@spica.ucsc.edu (Hugo Calendar) writes:
>What's wrong with .rs6000?  (ie. Why are some people unhappy about it?)

r.s. is a VERY offensive term somewhere in the world (Australia I think),
meaning "rat shit" :-)

I have received a couple of E-mail replies from IBM, saying they do not
want to see the group named .rs6000

I have also received replies from another company who also produces a "6000"
computer - they would prefer the group to be named something else than .6000
or .r6000

As I said in my original posting - .risc6000 is the safest bet - it is just
a bit long.

-frisk

--
Fridrik Skulason      University of Iceland  |
Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)  |  Reserved for future expansion
E-Mail: frisk@rhi.hi.is    Fax: 354-1-28801  |

anand@norman.UUCP (Anand Bemra) (08/25/90)

In article <2085@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:

about creating a new group for IBM Risc6000.

Currently there are about 10-15 articles in comp.unix.aix on an average
per day. Out of these articles, most of them are aix related and a few
which are Risc6000 hardware related.

So I do *not* see a reason to create a new group.
In addition it is likely to cause increase amount of cross posting. And
of course it would mean that one has to read yet another newsgroup. My
opinion is that it is likely to cause more pain than gain.

Anand

	...!sun.com!valid!anand
	...!portal!analog2!anand

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (08/26/90)

In article <5400@mace.cc.purdue.edu-> lzm@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Chris McCoy) writes:
->In <6284@darkstar.ucsc.edu> hugo@spica.ucsc.edu (Hugo Calendar) writes:
->
->>In article <2085@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
->>>    .... what should the group be called ?  Some possibilities are :
->>>    ............
->>>         as some people are VERY unhappy about .r6000 or .rs6000, naming
->
->>What's wrong with .rs6000?  (ie. Why are some people unhappy about it?)
->
->I've heard different stories from different people at IBM.  One story
->has it that "rs" is a registered trademark of some product and therefore
->all sales personnel have been instructed to refer to the product only
->as the RISC/6000.  The other story has it that "rs" is Austrailia is the
->equivalent of the American "BS" and therefore they should refer to the
->product as the RISC/6000.
->
->Anyone know the "real" story?

And there a lot of machines out there running the Xenix variant of Unix on
RS 6000s.  A Radio Shack machine, with the 68000 cpu.

That was noted just about the time IBM announced it.  Then the official
policy became not to refer to it by those initials .

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (08/28/90)

In <2085@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>What do you folks think of creating a newsgroup dedicated to those
>machines ?  There is considerable RS/6000 discussion here in this group,
>but it seems to me that the machines deserve a group of their own, just like
>most other popular machines.  However ....
[concern expressed here over newness, etc.]

They've certainly generated enough (very useful) volume here to fill a
group.... but there really hasn't been that much ps/2 and rt stuff to
wade thru.  As I see it, we could either split, or just put appropriate
stuff in our Subject lines.... If we do split, I think "risc6000" would
be the more appropriate name, as some Aussies have pointed out....

I'll be happy split or no, as long as Austin stays on the net with all
that good advice...

-- Glenn R. Stone (gs26@prism.gatech.edu)
(glenns@thunder.gatech.edu soon as I get sendmail working :)

au0005@dundee.austin.ibm.com (08/28/90)

In article <13072@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R.
Stone) writes:
> In <2085@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
> >What do you folks think of creating a newsgroup dedicated to those
> >machines ?

I think it's a great idea!

> They've certainly generated enough (very useful) volume here to fill a
> group.... but there really hasn't been that much ps/2 and rt stuff to
> wade thru.  As I see it, we could either split, or just put appropriate
> stuff in our Subject lines.... If we do split, I think "risc6000" would
> be the more appropriate name, as some Aussies have pointed out....

What about "risc6k" ? I am unsure of the official IBM opinion on this name,
but it would seem to be short enough. I don't really see the relevance of
the length problem with risc6000 either, unless you type at one word per
minute.

> I'll be happy split or no, as long as Austin stays on the net with all
> that good advice...

Austin will hang around. The access has even been opened up a little
bit for the network. We get a lot out of it also! Now, if only there was
a nice, easy way for us to get it in Australia. (sob, I go back in two
weeks!)

> Glenn R. Stone (gs26@prism.gatech.edu)

Peter May,
Advisory Program Services Representative.

IBM Australia.
Sydney Support Center,
1-55 Rothschild Avenue,
Rosebery. NSW. 2018. Australia.

AWDNet: au0005@dundee.austin.ibm.com, peter@price.austin.ibm.com
Vnet  : AU0005 at AUSVMQ, PETERMAY at SYDVM1.

Phone : Austin    1-512-823-4821, 4869. ( Tie Line 793 ),
        Australia 61-2-662-9560.

uucp  : ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!price.austin.ibm.com!peter
        ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!dundee.austin.ibm.com!croc

... An Aussie lost in Austin ...

#include <standard.disclaimer>

/* All of this rubbish belongs to me: Associate IBM with it in no way
whatsoever. */

dalew@twiki.PDX.COM (Dale A. Weber) (08/30/90)

hugo@spica.ucsc.edu (Hugo Calendar) writes:

> What's wrong with .rs6000?  (ie. Why are some people unhappy about it?)

  I was wondering about this too. It's often referred to as an R/S 6000 so
.rs6000 seems the most natural choice. So, maybe we'd get comp.sys.rs6000
and make most folks (including myself, and most others I know) happy.

--
Internet: dalew@pdx.com OR dalew@twiki.pdx.com
UUCP: ..!{ogicse, sun!nosun, tektronix}!tessi!twiki!dalew