[comp.unix.aix] nits

langley@ds16.scri.fsu.edu (Randolph Langley) (08/24/90)

I seem to be getting garbage in the first portion of the host address
returned by gethostbyaddr(). I compiled the gethostnamaddr.c code in
the bind.4.8 distribution, and am using that instead. Works fine.

Also, when I compiled gnuemacs for the 6000, I couldn't find alloca()
in either libc.a or libbsd.a, though the manual page indicated it
was in one or the other. Used the one in the distrib, and gnuemacs
seems to be going fine. (Thanks to the folks who put the stuff at byron!)

Now for a real nit - I think the accepted spelling is "runnable", not
"runable", as /usr/ucb/w is printing.

rdl

steve@qe2.awdpa.ibm.com (Steve DeJarnett) (08/24/90)

In article <LANGLEY.90Aug23192919@ds16.scri.fsu.edu> langley@ds16.scri.fsu.edu (Randolph Langley) writes:
>Also, when I compiled gnuemacs for the 6000, I couldn't find alloca()
>in either libc.a or libbsd.a, though the manual page indicated it
>was in one or the other. Used the one in the distrib, and gnuemacs
>seems to be going fine. (Thanks to the folks who put the stuff at byron!)

	One more time....  alloca is defined by placing a

#pragma alloca

in the source file.  This is per ANSI C, I believe.  However, if the GNU
version works for you, great.

>rdl

	Hope that helps someone else who may be about to build EMACS.

	Steve

Steve DeJarnett			Internet: steve@ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com
IBM AWD Palo Alto		UUCP:	  uunet!ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com!steve
(415) 855-3510			IBM VNET: dejarnet at ausvmq
These opinions are my own.  I doubt IBM wants them.......

>	One more time....  alloca is defined by placing a
>
>#pragma alloca
>
>in the source file.  This is per ANSI C, I believe.

If you mean that ANSI C specifies that's the way you get at "alloca()",
you believe incorrectly; ANSI C 1) doesn't say what #pragmas exist, much
less what they do, and 2) doesn't specify "alloca()".

Other vendors have used other techniques to teach the compiler about
"alloca()", such as the Sun technique of giving it a funny name
"__builtin_alloca"; this also does not violate the ANSI C standard
(although Sun's compiler isn't yet an ANSI C compiler).  Sun put a
"#define of "alloca(x)" as "__builtin_alloca(x)" in
"/usr/include/alloca.h"; it might be nice if other vendors put their
particular compiler's hacks in a similar include file.

Andrew.Vignaux@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Andrew Vignaux) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Aug24.050106.16560@panews>, steve@qe2.awdpa.ibm.com
(Steve DeJarnett) writes:
|> 	One more time....  alloca is defined by placing a
|> #pragma alloca
|>
|> 	Hope that helps someone else who may be about to build EMACS.

One thing I found while trying to build emacs was that the pragma has
to be asserted before any "real" C code is seen by the compiler.
Unfortunately, emacs includes <signal.h> first in some files, so it
can give the "config.h" a chance to fix things up, so I can't put the
pragma in "config.h".

Is there any way of declaring the pragma from the command line?

[ We don't have "info" yet because supplies for the CD-rom player are
  low in NZ ]

Andrew
--
Domain address: Andrew.Vignaux@comp.vuw.ac.nz