[comp.unix.aix] xlc news

jsalter@slo.awdpa.ibm.com (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep3.190213.3089@world.std.com> madd@world.std.com (jim frost) writes:
>jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) writes:
>>The other error was just 1501-230 without any other explanatory text.
>This sounds like the internal error you get when you set up bsdcc as
>mentioned in the bsdport document.  If you do this, remove the
>switches that tell it to use /lib/cpp.  That preprocessor internal
>errors if a #pragma alloca is contained in the source.  The builtin
>preprocessor does not.

Actually, the document was correct; it was /lib/cpp that wasn't working
right.  These fixes will hopefully make it into the next compiler release.

It turns out that the differences between /lib/cpp and
xlc -E -qlanglvl=extended are a little more than I thought:

The xlc version does more C language error checking (not specified how much)
than /lib/cpp because /lib/cpp can be used to preprocess non-C language
files.  Also, the xlc preprocessor will do line-splicing whenever a
backslash+newline is encountered.  /lib/cpp will only line-splice in argument
text and macro expansion replacement text.

This will all be mentioned in the next BSD Porting document.  Any other
information you'd like to see in the document, let me know.  I'm still
working on getting an xlc/ld information document out (and it ain't small!).

>jim frost
>saber software
>jimf@saber.com

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: ibmsupt!jsalter@uunet.uu.net         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
	"Waco is a state of mind.  Once you've gone there,
		you never come back" - Leo