[comp.unix.aix] bidirectional lines on the RS 6000

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (09/10/90)

Help !!!!!

	Has anyone out there managed to hook up a telebit modem to an
RS6000 for use as a bidirectional modem. This is causing me no end of grief
these days and before I waste more time on it I decided to enquire of the
masses as to if it is possible, if so how. If you have done this could
you please send me your register settings on the modem side, your line
settings on the 6000 side and any special cabling that needs to be done.

I tried the obvious of setting the line to share and using a telebit off
of our sysV box that runs bidirectional, no luck at all.

Thanks for any help

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

"Ever since we bought a 6000 i've felt like an swamp drainer in Florida"

golder@nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep10.033717.593@edm.uucp> geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
> Has anyone out there managed to hook up a telebit modem to an
> RS6000 for use as a bidirectional modem.

Pshare and pdelay are intended to enable a port for bidirectional
use, but both are badly broken.  This has been confirmed by IBM
software support.  The best you can do is to enable a port for
dial in (say /dev/tty1), then do something like this if you want
to dial out:

        pdisable 1
        chmod 666 /dev/tty1      # Needs root permissions - ugh!
        kermit                   # or whatever ...
        penable 1

I posted an ugly script to simplify this process last week,
but it's still a big pain.  I encourage you to get after IBM
to fix this.

Warren Jones <golder@nwnexus.wa.com>      Golder Associates Inc.
(uucp: uunet!nwnexus!golder)              4104 148th Avenue NE
(206) 883-0777                            Redmond, WA 98052, USA