[comp.unix.aix] More

vlcek@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Jim Vlcek) (09/10/90)

Overall, I've been pretty pleased with how easily the installation of
AIX PS/2 on my Model 80 has proceeded.  I've now got X up an running
on it, got my mail problem sorted out (thanks, everyone), and the
major hassle now is getting the terminal-specific stuff sorted out.

Which brings up the one (glaring) omission from AIX PS/2: more.  Even
DOS had "more", for God's sake, why didn't they give you one on AIX?
Using "pg" just doesn't cut it; does anyone know where you can get a
very ucb-like "more" to run on AIX PS/2?  I tried porting the more off
of a local 4.3BSD machine, but of course that needs libtermcap, which
I don't have.  Are either of these easily available any where?

Jim Vlcek  (vlcek@caf.mit.edu  vlcek@athena.mit.edu)

richard@locus.com (Richard M. Mathews) (09/10/90)

vlcek@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Jim Vlcek) writes:

>Overall, I've been pretty pleased with how easily the installation of
>AIX PS/2 on my Model 80 has proceeded.  I've now got X up an running
>on it, got my mail problem sorted out (thanks, everyone), and the
>major hassle now is getting the terminal-specific stuff sorted out.

>Which brings up the one (glaring) omission from AIX PS/2: more.  Even
>DOS had "more", for God's sake, why didn't they give you one on AIX?

You must have version 1.1.  You will find "more" and many other BSDisms
included in version 1.2.  The AIX PS/2 and AIX/370 kernel evolved from
a BSD kernel (with much brought in from System V over the years), so you
should find the BSD compatibility to be pretty good.  Many of the BSD
application programs were left out of 1.1 mostly to reduce the Quality
Assurance workload.  In 1.1, I also miss some things like "last" and
"strings".

	Disclaimer:  Opinions, of course, are my own -- not Locus's
	or IBM's or anyone else's.

Richard M. Mathews
Locus Computing Corporation
richard@locus.com
lcc!richard@seas.ucla.edu
...!{uunet|ucla-se|turnkey}!lcc!richard

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (09/10/90)

In article <richard.652957673@fafnir.la.locus.com> richard@locus.com (Richard M. Mathews) writes:
>vlcek@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Jim Vlcek) writes:

>>Which brings up the one (glaring) omission from AIX PS/2: more.  Even
>>DOS had "more", for God's sake, why didn't they give you one on AIX?

>You must have version 1.1.  You will find "more" and many other BSDisms
>included in version 1.2...

Of course you won't "find" them even in 1.2 if you don't have /usr/ucb
included in your path :-}. Since I distinctly remember Jim saying he
was running 1.2 I suspect this is the problem.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are mine not my employer's.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

vlcek@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Jim Vlcek) (09/11/90)

I'd asked about "more" in AIX PS, and Richard Mathews replies

``You will find "more" and many other BSDisms included in version
  1.2...''

Jack Vogel notes

``Of course you won't "find" them even in 1.2 if you don't have
  /usr/ucb included in your path :-}. Since I distinctly remember Jim
  saying he was running 1.2 I suspect this is the problem.''

Oops, did I do that again?  I'm running 1.1, I keep forgetting.  Maybe
when I install the updates, that will take care of it.

Jim Vlcek  (vlcek@caf.mit.edu  vlcek@athena.mit.edu)

shawn@jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) (09/11/90)

     There's also the problem of which disks contain the more program.  I
don't recall which disk contains the more program, but I had an interesting
time trying to get the man program to work without having more installed since
it (the man prog) used more to display the results.

    If you are tight on space you might do a selective restore from the
lpp that contains the more program.  I think it was the useability services
that contained the more program, but I make no promises.