[comp.unix.aix] "root" logged in on a RS/6000 pty

skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu (Gary M. Lin) (09/15/90)

	I have been noticing a problem for several weeks now, and I'm not
	quite sure what to make of it.  Occasionally on a 'who' root is
	logged in a pseudo-tty, apparently doing nothing.

	This occurs randomly and isn't associated with another using /bin/su
	or logging in as root.  Of course, since the pty thinks root is
	attached, it never gets freed until rebooting.

	% who
	skidrow     hft/0       Sep 14 16:24
	root        pts/2       Sep 14 19:28
	skidrow     pts/0       Sep 14 16:54
	skidrow     pts/8       Sep 14 19:22

	% ps -t pts/2
	        PID  STAT   TTY  TIME COMMAND
	       8106   S   pts/2  0:00 sh

	Is this a problem or should I ignore it?  Please post replies to
	the net, since mail still can't route to my system properly.

							- Gary M. Lin
							skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu

golder@nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) (09/16/90)

In article <skidrow.653367194@ceres> skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu (Gary M. Lin) writes:

>	I have been noticing a problem for several weeks now, and I'm not
>	quite sure what to make of it.  Occasionally on a 'who' root is
>	logged in a pseudo-tty, apparently doing nothing.

Do you have an X-Station on your network?  What you see is probably
the pty associated with the login window.  (The login process must
run as root.)

Warren Jones <golder@nwnexus.wa.com>      Golder Associates Inc.
(uucp: uunet!nwnexus!golder)              4104 148th Avenue NE
(206) 883-0777                            Redmond, WA 98052, USA

skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu (Gary M. Lin) (09/18/90)

golder@nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) writes:
>In article <skidrow.653367194@ceres> skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu (Gary M. Lin) writes:
>>
>>	I have been noticing a problem for several weeks now, and I'm not
>>	quite sure what to make of it.  Occasionally on a 'who' root is
>>	logged in a pseudo-tty, apparently doing nothing.

>Do you have an X-Station on your network?  What you see is probably
>the pty associated with the login window.  (The login process must
>run as root.)

	Normally I use either the console or the X-Station, but it doesn't
	have "root" logged on a pty in either case.  I don't imagine it's
	associated with someone else's X session because it fails to go away
	even if no one is logged in.  The problem was not apparent before
	the upgrade to 9021.

							- Gary M. Lin
	-------
	(SC)3 Research Group	INTERNET: skidrow@ceres.UCSC.EDU
	UC Santa Cruz		UUCP: !ucbvax!ucscc!ceres!skidrow