[comp.unix.aix] nagging problem

jeffe@sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep11.203107.13183@cs.columbia.edu> sen@cs.columbia.edu (Soumitra Sengupta) writes:
>We just heard from SE that RS/6000 support X-stations, but only on
>the same, physical ring. That puts us in a shock.

Well, that's partly true.  The X-station doesn't support link-level
routing, so it can't traverse bridges.  However, it has no problems
with gateways or routers.  Is that a real problem for you?

Peter Jeffe   ...uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!sandino.austin.ibm.com!jeffe
        first they want a disclaimer, then they make you pee in a jar,
                   then they come for you in the night

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (09/21/90)

In <1990Sep11.203107.13183@cs.columbia.edu> sen@cs.columbia.edu (Soumitra Sengupta) writes:

>One problem with our RS/6000 Model 530 on a Token-Ring is that the
>communication system hangs once in a while. The system accepts no
>pings, telnets, etc, and interestingly, gets cleared when a telnet
>to itself is issued on its console monitor. The problem occurs
>too often to be a major irritant and cannot be used in production
>environment. SE has opened a number in a database someplace. Any
>comments?

Yeah, I'll bite.  We've had the same problem with all our 6000's....
only this time it's the ethernet interface (en0), not the token
ring interface.... I haven't tried telnetting to myself on the
console to clear the problem, but the symptoms are all too
familiar.....

It hasn't been bad enough yet to warrant major screaming, but it
shouldn't happen.....

Glenn R. Stone (gs26@prism.gatech.edu, glenns@eas.gatech.edu)
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30318 USA
+1 404 894 3890
I don't speak for Tech; I wouldn't think of letting them speak for me.