[comp.unix.aix] Network configuration

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (09/19/90)

We recently installed a RS/6000 powerserver on our network, and originally
gave it the name RISCSRV.  Well, a couple of days later, someone came up
with a better name, APSRISC.  So we changed the name in the BIND tables,
and used the SMIT interface to change the configuration of TCP/IP.  In
almost all cases ('rwhod', telnets, ftps, etc) the name is APSRISC.
However, when telnetting from APSRISC to another machine, the hostname
(in a 'who' command) shows up as RISCSRV.  Also, in a 'netstat' command
on the RS/6000, RISCSRV show up again.

Does anyone know where RISCSRV is being stored?  And how to change it?

Thanks for your help.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #4:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
215 Foxfire Dr #308           csh> \(-            murrayp@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu

jeffe@sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) (09/20/90)

In article <2345.26f7480e@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
>We recently installed a RS/6000 powerserver on our network, and originally
>gave it the name RISCSRV.  Well, a couple of days later, someone came up
>with a better name, APSRISC.  So we changed the name in the BIND tables,
>and used the SMIT interface to change the configuration of TCP/IP.  In
>almost all cases ('rwhod', telnets, ftps, etc) the name is APSRISC.
>However, when telnetting from APSRISC to another machine, the hostname
>(in a 'who' command) shows up as RISCSRV.  Also, in a 'netstat' command
>on the RS/6000, RISCSRV show up again.

The common thing between telnetd and netstat is that they are both doing a
gethostbyaddr() to translate an IP address into a hostname (as opposed to a
gethostbyname() that does the reverse).  Since you are using a nameserver,
the problem is almost certainly that you forgot to change the name in the
database for the in-addr.arpa domain that maps addresses to hostnames.
Look in this file for the PTR record with your IP address, and my guess is
that it will have RISCSRV as the hostname.

Peter Jeffe   ...uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!sandino.austin.ibm.com!jeffe
        first they want a disclaimer, then they make you pee in a jar,
                   then they come for you in the night

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (09/21/90)

In article <2345.26f7480e@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
> We recently installed a RS/6000 powerserver on our network, and originally
> gave it the name RISCSRV.  Well, a couple of days later, someone came up
> with a better name, APSRISC.  So we changed the name in the BIND tables,
> and used the SMIT interface to change the configuration of TCP/IP.  In
> almost all cases ('rwhod', telnets, ftps, etc) the name is APSRISC.
> However, when telnetting from APSRISC to another machine, the hostname
> (in a 'who' command) shows up as RISCSRV.  Also, in a 'netstat' command
> on the RS/6000, RISCSRV show up again.

Problem solved.  It turns out that the reverse address maping on our
nameserver was wrong, and when this problem was fixed, everything
turned out ok.  Many thanks to Marc Auslander from IBM for solving
the problem and James Nau for his helpful advice.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #1:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall          csh> make love         pmurray@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (09/22/90)

An additional warning about hostnames on the RS/6000:  Most utilities
and system services cannot use hostnames which are not
fully-qualified, even if there is no fully-qualified name in
/etc/hosts and you're not using NIS or a name-server.  Thus if your
.rhosts reads:

	armory jimf
	saber jimf

`rsh' commands will not work.  Our domain is saber.com so my .rhosts
must read:

	armory.saber.com jimf
	saber.saber.com jimf

This is true of NFS exports and hosts.equiv as well.  It took quite
some time to figure out why it wouldn't give permission for many
network activities....

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com