[comp.unix.aix] PAging space useage on AIX

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (09/24/90)

From article <229@rufus.UUCP>, by drake@drake.almaden.ibm.com:

> This is issued when paging space on disk is very full.  If paging space
							  ^^
> gets incredibly full, AIX starts sending SIGKILL to processes that are using

Shouldn't you change that if to a when. AIX 3.1 seems incredibly adept at
using paging space. After a fresh boot of a system that has 32 Mbytes of
paging space and 16 Mbyte of memory I run lsps -a and am told
that 53 % of paging space is in use. Add to this the number of times when
I've seen warning of low paging space messages on the console when there
are only a couple of user processes running and I'm led to believe that
AIX has an incredible appetite for paging space.

> Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
> Internet:  drake@ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
> Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

geoff@edm

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (09/24/90)

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:

>From article <229@rufus.UUCP>, by drake@drake.almaden.ibm.com:
>>
>> This is issued when paging space on disk is very full.  If paging space
>							  ^^
>> gets incredibly full, AIX starts sending SIGKILL to processes that are using

>Shouldn't you change that if to a when. AIX 3.1 seems incredibly adept at
>using paging space. After a fresh boot of a system that has 32 Mbytes of
>paging space and 16 Mbyte of memory I run lsps -a and am told
>that 53 % of paging space is in use.

Hmm... do you do many compiles?  With only 32Mb paging you wouldn't be
able to link a very large executable given the current linker.  We use
64Mb and are going to at least double that pretty soon as we get
further into serious development.

Also, how is your performance with only 16Mb memory?  I find
performance to be much poorer than expected on our machine (a 520).  A
couple of people I spoke with said that a development system didn't
work too well until there was more than 40Mb of memory, with 60 or
more recommended.

Curious,

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (09/25/90)

Article <1990Sep24.045350.29617@edm.uucp> by geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) says:

|AIX 3.1 seems incredibly adept at using paging space.
This issue has been discussed here before.  In particular the binder (ld) uses
extreme amounts of paging space, but it also does much more for you than the
normal unix linker used to do.  In fact, on our 48 MB core + 128 MB page
development system, we have replaced the binder by a queue so only one is
executing at a time.
--
Bjorn Engsig,	Domain:		bengsig@oracle.nl, bengsig@oracle.com
		Path:		uunet!mcsun!orcenl!bengsig