[fa.info-vax] Natural Language Interface

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/04/85)

From: rmeyer@cca-unix (Richard Meyer)

We are looking for a natural language interface for database queries
that operates on a VAX under VMS. Ideally, the package would be a
commercial product, but we are willing to look into prototypes.
Any references to such packages, or names of contacts would be
appreciated.

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/05/85)

From: ARNOLD%WISCPSLB.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA

> We are looking for a natural language interface for database queries
> that operates on a VAX under VMS. Ideally, the package would be a
> commercial product, but we are willing to look into prototypes.
> Any references to such packages, or names of contacts would be
> appreciated.

Try Themis(tm) from Frey Associates, Nashua NH.  Themis is said to be an
artificially intelligent front end to (currently) Oracle and Datatrieve
which can take a "wish" for some report in English from a non-programmer and
generate the query language for the DBMS back-end.  I've never used it, and
only know of the product because Frey is a customer of ours.

Stephen L. Arnold, jnet Product Manager, Joiner Associates Inc.
Mail   P.O. Box 5445, Madison WI  53705-0445  U.S.A.
Phone  (608) 238-8134
Telex  650 110-6813
BITNET arnold@wiscpslb
ARPA   arnold%wiscpslb.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA
UUCP   {allegra:cornell:purdue:ihnp4:burdvax}!psuvax1!arnold%wiscpslb.BITNET
HEP    PSLB::ARNOLD

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/06/85)

From: awalker.rx@XEROX.ARPA

hi stephen,
stay away from datatrieve ,ingress is another dbase package but requires
a good understanding of "C" language ,oracle which is on one of
our vaxs is fast and very easy to understand..
hope this is of help
alan walker...