[comp.unix.aix] elm 2.3 PL6 on RS/6000 AIX

rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) (09/28/90)

Greetings,
	I am trying to get elm 2.3PL6 going under AIX on a RS/6000.
I have the latest version of the OS  (so the sys admins tell me). After
running the Configure script ...make bombs immediately.
it doesnt like the line in addr_util.c that starts

char *strtok()  ... I think its line 45

the error is

PARAMETER LIST CANNOT CONTAIN FEWER PARAMETERS THAT REQUIRED BY THE MACRO
DEFINITION.

Has anybody got this going on an RS/6000.  IF so could you mail me your
config.sh .. I will just poke it in.  Or send me the appropriate answers.

I am doing this remotely so I am at a little bit of a disadvantage.
The people at the site have never installed elm on a system before...

so I cant get much help from them ... Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob.
--
Rob Freyder                                  Core Laboratories a division of
____    ____     ____                        Western Atlas International Inc.

eliot@lanmola.engr.washington.edu (Eliot Lim) (09/28/90)

In article <822@lafayet.UUCP> rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) writes:

>	I am trying to get elm 2.3PL6 going under AIX on a RS/6000.
>
>char *strtok()  ... I think its line 45
>
>the error is
>
>PARAMETER LIST CANNOT CONTAIN FEWER PARAMETERS THAT REQUIRED BY THE MACRO
>DEFINITION.

I got elm running on mine, but I don't know if my method is the
easiest (probably not).  I got the exact same err. msg and I ended up
going into all the source files and zapping the definition of strcmp()
since it's already defined elsewhere.  For some reason the compiler
doesn't like strcmp() defined in the source (or was it strncmp(),
anyway it's one of those).  Once I zapped it, everything went real
smooth.  I had to change the flock call somewhere from RO to RW
to get past that too.

Good luck

Eliot

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (09/29/90)

In <8238@milton.u.washington.edu> eliot@lanmola.engr.washington.edu (Eliot Lim) writes:
>In article <822@lafayet.UUCP> rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) writes:
>>	I am trying to get elm 2.3PL6 going under AIX on a RS/6000.
>>char *strtok()  ... I think its line 45
>>
>>PARAMETER LIST CANNOT CONTAIN FEWER PARAMETERS THAT REQUIRED BY THE MACRO
>>DEFINITION.

Yep.  xlc will NOT let you do redefinitions of predefined routines....
if it's defined in any included files, you can't have it (again)
in the main source.  Period.  Even if they match.

I don't know how many times I had to go and change

int strcmp();

/* int strcmp();
IBM strikes again...
*/

to get the thing to work...  but work it does, now....

>.....  I had to change the flock call somewhere from RO to RW
>to get past that too.

I didn't have to diddle with flock() anywhere.... may have had
something to do with the way I set up things in Configure.

Glenn R. Stone
gs26@prism.gatech.edu, glenns@eas.gatech.edu

mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) (09/29/90)

In article <8238@milton.u.washington.edu> eliot@engr.washington.edu (Eliot Lim) writes:
>I got elm running on mine, but I don't know if my method is the
>easiest (probably not).  I got the exact same err. msg and I ended up
>going into all the source files and zapping the definition of strcmp()
>since it's already defined elsewhere.  For some reason the compiler
>doesn't like strcmp() defined in the source (or was it strncmp(),
>anyway it's one of those).  Once I zapped it, everything went real
>smooth.  I had to change the flock call somewhere from RO to RW
>to get past that too.

Not exactly the easiest method, here's the flags I used to compile it
without any mods to the code:

CCFLAGS = -D_NO_PROTO -D_NONSTD_TYPES -U__STR__ -D_MBI=void

--
Managing a software development team 	|   Mark Dapoz
is a lot like being on the psychiatric	|   mdapoz%hybrid@cs.toronto.edu

lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) (09/29/90)

--
I did that for verion 2.2, but when I got 2.3, I found it easier to simply
comment out the #include <strings.h> from the one header file.  (I think it was

Steve
Steve Roseman
Lehigh University Computing Center
LUSGR@VAX1.CC.Lehigh.EDU

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (09/29/90)

I am really surprised at all the trouble getting elm to compile. If I remember
correctly, using the bsdcc from the porting document, I took all the defaults
when running configure and everything worked out OK. I went back to the source,
and the definitions for the string functions are all still there...

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +