[comp.unix.aix] AIX LPR OPTIONS

tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp) (10/02/90)

We are trying to print from an AIX system to an HPUX
system.  The file names that end up in the HP spool
directory are mysteriously truncated.  For example,
the spool control file should have a name like
"XXXxxxozone.atmos.uiuc.edu".  Instead it has a name like
"XXXxxxozon".

Since this behavior does not occur when remote printing is
done from a Sun, I tend to think the IBM is at fault.

Does anyone know how or where to change the parameters
that the IBM passes to a remote printer which end up
in the remote spool file? (say that three times fast)

Thanks in advance,
--------  john kemp            (  (  )_  internet - kemp@uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
  -----                       (  (   __)   decnet - uiatmb::kemp
   ---    univ of illinois   (_ (   __)    bitnet - {uunet,convex}
   --     dept of atmos sci  .(____).               !uiucuxc!uiatma!kemp
   -      105 s gregory ave    ...          phone - (217) 333-6881
    -     urbana, il 61801    ...             fax - (217) 444-4393

		***** IBM SIDE *****

/usr/lpd/qconfig:
	lp:
		 s_statfilter = /usr/lpd/bsdshort
       		 l_statfilter = /usr/lpd/bsdlong
       		 device = rp0
       		 up = TRUE
       		 host = uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
       		 rq = lp
	rp0:
       		 backend = /usr/lpd/rembak

command used:
	$ lpr -Plp testfile

		***** HP SIDE *****

NOTE: the truncated spool file name "ozon" appears in the spool cf file
      and as part of the spool file name

/usr/spool/lp/request/lp/cfA044ozon:
	Hozone.atmos.uiuc.edu
	Pkemp
	J/usr/spool/qdaemon/tO5EDaw
	Cozone.atmos.uiuc.edu
	Lkemp
	K1
	O -oBSDJ/usr/spool/qdaemon/tO5EDaw -oBSDCozone.atmos.uiuc.edu
	FdfA044ozon
	fdfA044ozon
	UdfA044ozon
	N/usr/spool/qdaemon/tO5EDaw

/usr/spool/lp/request/lp/dfA044ozon:
	this is a test of IBM to HP lpr remote printing...

/usr/spool/lpd.log:
	rlpdaemon: ozone.atmos.uiuc.edu requests recvjob lp

NOTE: the fully qualified name in the lp request causes the error

/usr/spool/log:
	lp-44   smith    lp      Oct  1 17:10
	lpsched: Unable to open and lock
	"request/lp/cfA044ozone.atmos.uiuc.edu"

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (10/02/90)

tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp) writes:
>"XXXxxxozone.atmos.uiuc.edu".  Instead it has a name like
>"XXXxxxozon".

I'm not sure, but since AIX is system 5, there is a 14 character limit
on filenames. Are they being truncated to 14 characters?

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

rick@ulticorp.UUCP (rick/1024000) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.232359.4332@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu
	(Pete Resnick) writes:
>tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp) writes:
>>"XXXxxxozone.atmos.uiuc.edu".  Instead it has a name like
>>"XXXxxxozon".
>
>I'm not sure, but since AIX is system 5, there is a 14 character limit
>on filenames. Are they being truncated to 14 characters?

AIX is NOTTTTT System 5!!!!!!
The directory structure is very interesting. For example, try executing
the following commands on an RS/6000.

	echo > This_is_a_long_filename
	ls This*
	od -c .

The output from 'ls' shows the long name, but the output from 'od' shows only
14 characters.

--
		| Email - !uunet!ulticorp!ultixrs!rick
Rick Poleshuck 	| Voice - (201) 887-9222 Ext. 755

sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.232359.4332@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
>I'm not sure, but since AIX is system 5, there is a 14 character limit
>on filenames. Are they being truncated to 14 characters?
>
>Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)

Slight error in logic.
If a system enforces a 14-character filename limit, it must be System V.
But if a system is System V, it need not enforce a 14-character filename limit.
Witness :

sun16>telnet ibm1
Trying 192.70.169.100 ...
Connected to ibm1.scri.fsu.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
AIX telnet (ibm1.scri.fsu.edu)

login: sandee
Password:
          FSU Supercomputer Computations Research Institute

Tue Oct 02 09:03:16 EDT 1990
ibm1>touch 123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456
789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789
ibm1>ls 1*
123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.123456789.1234567
89.123456789.123456789.123456789

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.232359.4332@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp) writes:
>"XXXxxxozone.atmos.uiuc.edu".  Instead it has a name like
>"XXXxxxozon".
Pete> I'm not sure, but since AIX is system 5, there is a 14 character
Pete> limit on filenames. Are they being truncated to 14 characters?

Since he was using lpr, I assume this was on AIX 3.1 (it would be
/bin/print in AIX 2.2.1) which does not have the 14 char limitation
and uses BSD naming conventions...

					Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.223701.25867@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp) writes:
john> We are trying to print from an AIX system to an HPUX system.
john> The file names that end up in the HP spool directory are
john> mysteriously truncated.  For example, the spool control file
john> should have a name like "XXXxxxozone.atmos.uiuc.edu".  Instead
john> it has a name like "XXXxxxozon".

john> Since this behavior does not occur when remote printing is done
john> from a Sun, I tend to think the IBM is at fault.

john> Does anyone know how or where to change the parameters
john> that the IBM passes to a remote printer which end up
john> in the remote spool file? (say that three times fast)

You need to look at the options for rembak to tell it to work with a
non AIX 3.1 remote printer queue (look in info for more
information)... Anyway, here is a suggested change that may work...

		***** IBM SIDE *****

/usr/lpd/qconfig:
	lp:
		 s_statfilter = /usr/lpd/bsdshort
       		 l_statfilter = /usr/lpd/bsdlong
       		 device = rp0
       		 up = TRUE
       		 host = uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
       		 rq = lp
	rp0:
       		 backend = /usr/lpd/rembak

		***** CHANGE TO *****

/usr/lpd/qconfig:
	lp:
       		 device = rp0
       		 up = TRUE
	rp0:
       		 backend = /usr/lpd/rembak -S uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu -P lp -N

Note: you may have been able to leave some of the stuff in the lp
definition, for status, etc...) or leave off the domain for the remote
printer host (if same as client)...

jsalter@slo (10/02/90)

In article <390@ulticorp.UUCP> rick@ulticorp.UUCP (rick/1024000) writes:
>AIX is NOTTTTT System 5!!!!!!

Yes, nor is it 4.3 BSD.  Nor any other flavor of Unix, though it does a
decent job merging at least 4.3 BSD and System 5.

>The directory structure is very interesting.

The directory structure is certainly not the base to test whether a
Unix-derivative is System 5 or not.  In fact, the filesystem is the
Journalling/Journalled File System (JFS) which does a good job of being
different all by itself.

>For example, try executing
>the following commands on an RS/6000.
>	echo > This_is_a_long_filename
>	ls This*
>	od -c .
>The output from 'ls' shows the long name, but the output from 'od' shows only
>14 characters.

Yes, I know.  I opened a problem report about this a long time ago before
GA.  The reason this happens is that only the first 14 characters of a
filename are stored in the directory with a pointer off to the rest.  Since
od just reads the parameter you give it, and won't spend it's time tracing
pointers, the output you get from od is valid, it just *looks* System 5-ish.

>		| Email - !uunet!ulticorp!ultixrs!rick
>Rick Poleshuck | Voice - (201) 887-9222 Ext. 755
>		| Mail  - The Ultimate Corporation, East Hanover, NJ 07936

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: ibmsupt!jsalter@uunet.uu.net         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
	"Waco is a state of mind.  Once you've gone there,
		you never come back" - Leo

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (10/02/90)

rick@ulticorp.UUCP (rick/1024000) writes:
>AIX is NOTTTTT System 5!!!!!!

OK, so I was a little inexact. AIX 2.2.1 is closer to System 5 than it is
to BSD. And when you want to compile code that is distributed, you tell it
that you are on a SYSV machine, not BSD or any other OS, unless it says
specifically AIX. And on my machine (not the 6000, but an RT):

% cat > More_than_a_long_file_name
aksdfklsa;k
% ls More*
More_than_a_lo
%

Nothing bigger than 14 characters. Count em. And if you try to get at
this file, you can use any name so long as the first 14 characters are
the same (which is fun if you think you have a More_than_a_long_file_name.c
and a More_than_a_long_file_name.o). For all practical purposes, AIX 2.2.1
should be treated as System 5 with BSD and some other extensions.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC
System manager - Cognitive Science Group, Beckman Institute, UIUC
Internet/ARPAnet/EDUnet  : resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu
BITNET (if no other way) : FREE0285@UIUCVMD

>I'm not sure, but since AIX is system 5, there is a 14 character limit
>on filenames.

Not all System V systems have a 14-character limit on file names; that's
a characteristic of the V7 file system upon which the file system AT&T
distributes as the only on-disk file system with System V releases prior
to S5R4, but it's not the only on-disk file system AT&T distributes with
S5R4 (they also distribute the BSD file system, which has a
255-character limit), nor is it the only on-disk file system that comes
with S5 from all other vendors.

mbrown@tonic.osf.org (Mark Brown) (10/03/90)

Just a gentle reminder, folks --

  Please state *which version* of AIX that you are referring to when
asking for help, etc.

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  |"Coffee for my breakfast, whiskey by the side
The Good     mbrown@osf.org | it's a dark and gloomy mornin',
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown| gonna rain outside, outside ---
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |              ...and the forecast calls for pain."

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (10/03/90)

In article <3727@awdprime.UUCP>, ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
Ron> 		***** CHANGE TO *****
Ron> /usr/lpd/qconfig:
Ron> 	lp:
Ron>  		 device = rp0
Ron>   		 up = TRUE
Ron> 	rp0:
Ron>   		 backend = /usr/lpd/rembak -S uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu -P lp -N

On second thought:
lp:
	device = rp0
	s_statfilter = /usr/lpd/bsdshort
	l_statfilter = /usr/lpd/bsdlong
	host = uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
	rq = lp

rp0:
         backend = /usr/lpd/rembak -S uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu -P lp -N

Should work correctly. The "-N" option to rembak is the importnat
addition.

marc@arnor.uucp (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct2.163654.797@panews> jsalter@slo writes:

   Yes, I know.  I opened a problem report about this a long time ago before
   GA.  The reason this happens is that only the first 14 characters of a
   filename are stored in the directory with a pointer off to the rest.  Since
   od just reads the parameter you give it, and won't spend it's time tracing
   pointers, the output you get from od is valid, it just *looks* System 5-ish.

Not quite.  The directory structure of the AIX V3 JFS uses the BSD
representation internally.  BSD does not support opening a directory
for reading.  Programs which want to read a directory use opendir/readdir.

But System V programs (old ones) sometimes read directories directly.
So the AIX V3 file system supports direct reads of directories by
"simulating" the System V look.  This works (well) only if the directory
really contains file names limitted to 14 characters.

Marc Auslander