[comp.unix.aix] SPECmarks for RS/6000 systems - lies???

CCHD@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) (10/04/90)

I have just got a copy of the September 1990 SPECwatch and I am
a bit concerned about the following paragraph:

"There also seems to be a problem with replicating IBM's RS6000
SPECmark results, and with achieving the expected levels of
performance with other code. It's known that IBM extensively
modified the compilers used to compile the benchmarks. If these
"knobs and dials" turn out to be not readily accessible to users
of the production compilers shipped with the systems, SPEC
will be faced with its first serious cheating problem. The usual
prize (a trial subscription or four month extension of an
existing subscription) for the first person to provide
independent RS/6000 SPECmark results using the compilers shipped
with the products."

Would anyone from IBM (or anywhere else for that matter) like
to comment? Has anyone with an RS/6000 and the SPEC benchmark
tape tried/succeeded in running them? I have a 530 on site and
expect two 540's this month. I'd be happy to run the benchmarks
on an idle machine but I don't have access to the tape.

Huw Davies
Computing Services
La Trobe University
Melbourne Australia

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (10/04/90)

CCHD@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) writes:
>I have just got a copy of the September 1990 SPECwatch and I am
>a bit concerned about the following paragraph:

I was wondering when that would come out.  Given the stability of the
system when IBM announced the SPECmarks, and given that the
performance today is still not too good, I doubted the results.  On
pure benchmarks my system hits what IBM says it should right on the
nose or close enough not to matter.  But when it comes to running
actual applications the thing is much slower than expected, usually
slower feeling than a SparcStation and in compiles it's often slower
than our microVAX.

I'd like to know what kind of tuning they did to get their numbers so
I could do it to my machine!

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (10/06/90)

In article <4733@lure.latrobe.edu.au>, CCHD@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) writes:
> I have just got a copy of the September 1990 SPECwatch and I am
> a bit concerned about the following paragraph:
>
> "There also seems to be a problem with replicating IBM's RS6000
> SPECmark results, and with achieving the expected levels of
> performance with other code.

While I haven't had a chance today to run the entire SPEC 1.0 suite on my
RS/6000-520 (GA code), I did run the following benchmarks from the suite.

		008.espresso
		013.spice2g6
		023.eqntott
		030.matrix300
		047.tomcatv

The SPEC ratios I got differ from IBM's by no more than 0.4.  I got the
same result for one test; one of my results was higher by 0.3, another by
0.4; and two were lower by 0.3.  (I think SPEC reporting rules keep me
from publishing an incomplete report.)

Vic Abell
Assistant Director
Purdue University Computing Center
SPEC license 310

abe@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (10/07/90)

In article <4733@lure.latrobe.edu.au>, CCHD@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) writes:
> I have just got a copy of the September 1990 SPECwatch and I am
> a bit concerned about the following paragraph:
>
> "There also seems to be a problem with replicating IBM's RS6000
> SPECmark results,

I have been able to reproduce the SPEC ratio for the RS/6000-520 with
only minor changes needed to enable gcc.  (See the Notes/Summary of
Changes section in the report for gcc details.)

Here is a complete SPEC report for the RISC System/6000, model 520
POWERserver.  Its SPEC ratio is 0.1 larger than what IBM reported to me.

                    SPEC Throughput Method A# Results
                        for Release 1.0 Benchmarks

Results:       SPEC    IBM RS/6000                             IBM Corporation
               Ref.        520
Benchmark      Time    Time    SPEC                       IBM RISC System/6000
No. & Name    (sec.)  (sec.)  Ratio                            POWERserver 520

001.gcc        1482     102    14.5*              Hardware
008.espresso   2266     139    16.3   Model Number:      POWERserver 520
013.spice2g6  23951    1189    20.1   CPU:               IBM POWER 20MHz
015.doduc      1863      88    21.2   FPU:               Integrated
020.nasa7     20093     771    26.1   Number of CPU's:   1
022.li         6206     398    15.6   Cache Size/CPU:    32 KB data, 8 KB ins.
023.eqntott    1101      60    18.4   Memory:            32 MB
030.matrix300  4525     263    17.2   Disk Subsystem:    2-857 MB SCSI
042.fpppp      3038      71    42.8   Network Interface: 1 Ethernet Controller
047.tomcatv    2649      47    56.4

Geometric Mean 3867.7   173.0  22.4*

            Software                                System
O/S Type and Rev:  AIX 3.1, GA        Tuning Parameters: None in use
Compiler Rev:      XL Fortran 1.1     Background Load:   Normal Unix daemons
Other Software:    XL C 1.1           System State:      Multi-user, lightly
File System Type:  IBM Journaled                         loaded
                   File System
Firmware Level:    N/A

Tested in:      October 1990
By:             Victor A. Abell <abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu>
                Purdue University Computing Center
                Mathematical Sciences Building
                West Lafayette, IN 47907
                (317) 494-1787
SPEC License #  310

Notes/Summary of Changes:

  # Method A: Homogeneous Load

  * Portability changes were required:

    gcc:
        o  Modified alloca.o rule in Makefile to use XL C compiler.
        o  Activated #include of <time.h> in cccp.c.
        o  Disabled redefinition of ptrdiff_t and size_t in stddef.h.
        o  Modified erroneous assignment of enumerated variables to bit
           fields in rtl.h, tree.h, and varasm.c.
        o  Enabled vfork to fork redefinition in gcc.c.

Copyright 1990 Purdue Research Foundation, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907.
All rights reserved.